2014 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by drewuke, Mar 12, 2014.

1. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My seat mate said Carroll had to cover his face to stop everyone see he was laughing at the boos emanating in his direction.

2. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    'Limited tickets' still available.

Yea okaayyyy

BuddhaWake repped this.
  3. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I know it's Easter weekend, but we seem to be down 1,000 from last season. I got a call from a number in I think Minnesota on Thursday from somebody claiming to be from the team. I was on a list of people who had bought single tickets before but not recently and they were trying to figure out why. I told him I was an STH and he asked if there was anybody else I could recommend talking to. There must be a significant drop off in sales if they're outsourcing that kind of cold calling.

4. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Makes sense right now they are boring and not winning just like last year. It's not like it's a mystery. The only problem is you do this long enough and now even winning will bring this 1000 back. But at this point there are many mls teams that would kill for our attendance numbers.

5. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #80 drewuke, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    We were talking about the sales dropping once the honeymoon feel goes, well that started...and i'd hate to see where it goes if the ugly/disappointing Union soccer continues.

The fact the stadium is in Chester really hurts, it hasn't been too noticeable because of passionate fanbase filling the seats over the last few years. But looking at other MLS examples, downtown stadiums constantly sell out (SKC, Portland, Seattle) while suburb ones struggle (Chicago especially), the Union have been an exception and the next few years might really test it depending on success.

This is why I love attendance, and follow it.

6. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Houston downtown stadium epic fail..... Seattle is unreal, PTFC is again NW and also still honeymooning. SKC just rebrand. Id consider that a new team.

Its all doing good or not. You're two examples (Chicago and Union) both suck. SKC and Seattle are doing well. PTFC last year won the West right? DC attendance.... sucks, not a good team.

Only ones I think should be doing better is Colorado and FC Dallas.

7. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think it factors due to good or bad, but it is still a short period of time to study this. I'd like to see what would happen if the Union got good, and what would happen to attendance, but well that will never happen :p

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the locations of their stadiums for part of the answer. Both of them historically have had terrible attendance figures. It was sad to see a virtually empty stadium today in Colorado, but it's common there.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC's stadium isn't exactly downtown, it's outside of KC near the racetrack.

10. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    forget stadium location... when we have 2 perfect game days in a row and can't sell out it's a problem no matter what.... these past 2 games should of been SRO

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the attendance? Didn't surpass 18k if I remember correctly, right?

12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dills repped this.
  13. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easter weekend is a tough sell, as a lot of people started their holiday travel on Friday (I think my company was the only one open in our entire complex on Friday!). I was pleasantly surprised to find someone able to take my tickets for Saturday, as I figured a lot of people wouldn't be heading out.

I agree about the previous game, though.

cwelch999 repped this.
  14. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    a real test will be home against dc on 5/10. If that looks sparse, id say we have a problem

15. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id say we have had a problem for a season and a half now attendance wise. People do not want to come out. We haven't won in 6 games.... and 1 win in 8 games. I have a little family that we all grew together in 107 of about 8-10 STH. But other than that, casuals don't show up anymore. And honestly, if I was a casual, I wouldn't go to the games if I was "eh" about soccer.
    1. We do not score. (Only 1 game more than 2 goals and shut out at home last week)
    2. We have not been winning (this year or last year was a bump down the stretch).
    3. No big name draw (Sorry, love yah MoMo but you're not a big name draw to a casual, just to soccer fans)
    4. Not easy access to the games from downtown (Every Eagles, Phillies, Flyers game those subways are JAMMED).
    I cannot think of a good reason for a causal soccer fan to come out.

The Union are like crack/cocaine to me. Its bad, I waste all my money, but I can't get enough of it.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i agree with all that. i should have also qualified that im directing alot of that at the river end. we had entire rows empty in 138 this past weekend. That is happening kind of often, and it annoys the bejeezus out of me. that end should be full no matter what.

jaykoz3 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  17. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm expecting a lot of texts and e-mails about "limited tickets available" in the future.

:thumbsdown:

thomas19064, Doop and Handsome Pete repped this.
  18. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the plus side we should see an increase in Dollar Dog Days/Nights.

19. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When there's a fire capacity on a facility, aren't all tickets "limited"? Does that schtick in marketing actually work?

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  20. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember all those stadium expansion talks.... bout that.

Handsome Pete and BuddhaWake repped this.
  21. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of stadiums and attendance, what happened to the thread about Chester and Stadium (lack of) development?

22. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Merged into practice facility post

23. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if we need more seats (probably not, the way this season's going) but the other stuff like a restaurant behind TRE would be nice.

24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For the 17 times a year you might go? I'd be surprised if they invest at all. Chester is a bad investment, or at best, it's somebody else's investment. Something like 80% of new restaurants fail in two years, locating it in Chester doesn't seem to be a plus.

25. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe the restaurant was supposed to be inside the stadium.