2014 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by drewuke, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I think the boos were directed at the officiating.

aztec21bas, SOwannaB and Lancaster FC repped this.
  2. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    that is how I took them.

3. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Great weather, decent opponent with some "names", a Union team with a not-awful record. And Dollar Dogs.

At first I thought they were directed at the team, but realized it was for the officials.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't the result, it was the officials that were soundly booed after the match.

5. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The boos were directed at the team after the Montreal game though.

6. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's Philadelphia, right?

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It surely seemed like at one point there were a cascade of boos after one of Carroll's worst passes I've seen. But, I was not in the stadium--was my impression wrong?

8. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was right before half and Carroll go the ball to start the counter, but instead of attacking hard he slowed up tried to switch field but was way off target and I think the whole stadium booed him.

BuddhaWake, lopezzzz, UnionDues and 2 others repped this.
  9. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is exactly my recollection as well.

10. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly was booing Carroll for the dead horse that I have been beating here for weeks: he never is looking to move forward. After the game, Hack acknowledged that issue and inferred that it was the main reason why he subbed Carroll in the second half: "We were thinking we had to get back into the game and move Mo (Edu) back and have two attackers." Carroll is not an attacker and cannot be one. Edu can cover for Carroll and the Union can replace Carroll with a more attack-minded player.

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2014/04/13/postgame-video-and-quote-sheet-union-2-2-rsl/

lopezzzz repped this.
  11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple d-bags in my section were doing a helluva lot more than booing him.

12. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I yelled at Le Toux once. I don't usually do that. It just "happened."

13. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason this match had a lot of over-the-top (even by TRE standards) booing/screaming. It gets really embarrassing when people are booing the refs when it was obvious the right call was made. Don't even get me started on the guys who think that they have a better view of a ball going out of bounds from 100+ yards away, versus the linesman who is 2 feet away. :rolleyes:

I get that the refs aren't always the best, but every call against the Union isn't a bad call.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  14. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the game with my son, my father-in-law and his wife who is a huge sports fan. While my stepmother-in-law had fun, she commented that she found the SOBs to be "highly inappropriate." While it seems that YSA has disappeared, "Hey Ref, SOMB" and "Hey Casey, F Someone Up" appear to be gaining popularity. I guess that I have gotten used to those cheers, but it was surprising to an outsider and she's a Jets season ticket who has heard it all.

Are those cheers condoned (tolerated?) by the SOB leaders (meaning the guys who lead the cheers)? What do the capos (or whatever they're called) do while half of TRE is screaming SOMB or F Someone Up?

15. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they don't start them, but it seems the drummers change the beat up to either chant if the crowd starts it up.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all part of the mob mentality. Someone feels they can scream obscenities when they're just one face in the crowd. I haven't seen nor heard these guys before, but it was borderline embarrassing to hear some of this stuff. Not quite make-a-sailor-blush level, but definitely over the top, especially towards a player on the team you're there to support.

I definitely expressed my displeasure a few times, yelling "come on, Brian!" and the like. I wasn't calling him a "fcuking bum" and telling him to go find a new home because "we" (I guess the guy had a mouse in his pocket) don't want him here anymore.

17. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine was more along the lines of "Get UP!" but nothing overly offensive or belittling of a player on the team I support.

Although I wanted to yell at Williams when rather than press forward at the end, he came back to shove the player who dove. I had visions of an off the ball foul spoiling the afternoon...

18. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That incident reminded me of the scrap between him and Lamar Neagle last year that ended with both being tossed.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And THAT is why I don't think he should ever captain this team. Too short tempered.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  20. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. It happened in the box and not far from the referee.

I think Okugo's dressing down of the player was the more appropriate response. And why he could/should be captain material someday. Assuming he stays.

21. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I walked to the front of 136 at the final whistle, and stood next to @jess370 with our backs to the field, waiting for someone to throw a bottle or dollar dog as the refs were coming oft the field. I was almost positive it was going to happen, thankfully it didnt.

22. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real irony of the day was that the Union, in an effort to "protect" the refs barricaded the exit tunnels again (after having them open on Opening Day), underneath TRE. The irony comes as they put these barricades up on the day they decided to honor the Hillsborough Disaster :rolleyes: geniuses.

EmeraldDawn and mattylip repped this.
  23. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah there was some discussion about that on Facebook. I wonder if that's standard operating procedure or if they felt something was likely to happen. Doesn't make sense for it to happen occasionally.

24. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 2 seasons ago it was standard operating procedure, but lately it has not been consistent. Sometimes it is open, sometimes it is not.

I've written to the team on multiple occasions, especially in regards to fan safety. However they feel it is in the team's best interest with the league HQ to put more emphasis on the refs' safety. :rolleyes:

I say come up with an alternate plan for the refs to leave the field.

25. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union