2014 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by drewuke, Mar 12, 2014.

1. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    ...told you so.

2. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well they paid and they were in attendance, so...

3. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the way he told it to me, the tickets were free as long as he paid a $10 "convenience fee" per ticket. I assume that means that the Union donated the tickets to get a write-off and a third party makes money "giving the tickets away" but I'm just speculating about that.

4. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ah. Interesting. Better than two empty seats and it brings in people who probably wouldn't have gone in the first place.

riot71 repped this.
  5. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. I actually wrote a paper in college (Penn Fall Semester 1996) in a course called "Sports and the Law" where I argued that teams should give away or deeply discount every empty seat because the additional cost of having bodies in a stadium or arena is offset and then some by the parking, concessions, merchandise and potential future fandom from the recipients of those freebies.

It's one of the few papers that I wrote in college that I still remember today.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Union were to do this (donating tickets to non-profit) then I am disappointed on a very personal level. A couple seasons ago, I contacted Cara Joftis - among many different avenues - to try and get the Union to have an "awareness" night for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. At the end of it all, I was told the best the team could do is sell a block of at least 50 tickets to the DelVal Chapter at a reduced rate (like $5-10 off face value), who could turn around and sell them at whatever price they desired. I think it could've been a win-win, but instead I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth.

7. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that you mentioned this. My girlfriend is a high school teacher and soccer coach. She is taking a group of about 30 of her players to the 4/12 game. The best the team could offer was exactly that, a $10 discount over the single game price. This was a little disappointing for her considering that she organized the trip as a school function and many of the kids' families don't have two nickels to rub together.

Dills repped this.
  8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    We have known how the FO opperates. Don't they ask season ticket holders to donate their tickets to the arm forces/veterans etc when they can easily donate it themselves. Look at this from last year:
    http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2013/06/philadelphia-union-honor-military-heroes-july-20th

They want people to donate their tickets or to buy a block of tickets to donate and they will match it if over 15. Then from what @mattylip is saying, the arm forces buy them for $10 each? This smells all kinds of bad.

9. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selling unsold seats around the stadium at a deep discount a day or two before each match is somewhat different than selling a block of tickets ahead of time. But still, the Union should have a better charity approach for "excess" tickets.

10. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it looks all sorts of bad. Beyond that, I don't care for the FO's military boosterism either. So much of it feels like an empty gesture.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, obviously.

My point is, there could've been some crazy cross-pollination that the Union missed out on. And, knowing many of the higher-ups within the local CF Foundation chapter, they would've advertised the hell out of a "CF Night at PPL Park" kind of thing. There were talks about Union player appearances at the Foundation's various charitable events, such as Great Strides walks, CF Ride for Life, etc. At the time, the Union could've used as much face time (read, free advertising) as possible. But, instead, the team will promote the shit out of the May 17th "Star Wars Night". I've recently thought about re-approaching them, but then I come back to the reality of it all.

12. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The attendance for this one will be interesting.

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the rain will be monsoon levels. But I think it will be wet enough and cool enough to keep numbers down somewhat.

14. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as the team gives away tickets, it will be close to a "sell out." Due to the weather, there were be many empty seats.

A guy in my office who won't commit to season tickets but goes to several games each year came asked whether I was going to go tomorrow. I said that I was and he said that whether he buys tickets and goes will be based upon the weather. I think that a lot of people will be in that position tomorrow.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amobi bobbleheads to the first 5,000 people. Will there be any leftovers to be donated to some third world country where the kids think the Union's centerback is the lovechild of Eddie Johnson and Taylor Twellman?

16. UnionizedPA

UnionizedPA Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Doubt they know who Eddie Johnson is. He's never visited, he wanted more money.

17. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This Saturday: 'Dollar Dog Night' for a 4 PM game.

(・へ・)

Handsome Pete repped this.
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #43 Dills, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Did you mean (.)(.) ?

Or did you mean (_*_) ?

19. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i get to break out my favorite version of dale o

dollar dollar dollar dollar dollar dogs, dollar dollar dollar dogs (DOLLAR DOGS!) DIIIIIIIETZ AND WATSON, DIIIIIIIIIIETZ AND WATSON, DIIIIIIIIIIIETZ AND WATSON DOLLAR DOLLAR DOGS!! CLAP CLAP

G-Ho Blue and christie3 repped this.
  20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, guys, clear out ... it's the solar azimuth angle police.

21. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18015 for today

22. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of empty seats. I know the weather was pretty awful...

23. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Very strange. I was expecting a packed house

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was Sak.

25. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the rest of the fan base is beginning to become as frustrated as we are.

What to make of the boos? The result was roundly booed after the final whistle. Also, Caroll was booed after a spectacularly errant pass across the field.