2014 attendance discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I know those do not include live numbers but I think if they did, it would be around the same ratio.
    1. How much does the stream quality play into those numbers? I for one abandon the CHI vs WNY game because my eyes couldn't take it.

2. How much does having multiple games at the same time affect the total number?

2. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. slc1997

slc1997 Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just about seats.

For additional seats, you also have to add additional infrastructure. You can't just throw up 6x the number of seats and call it a day. (Calling @Mr. Warmth )

Also, seats do cost money. You'd be surprised.

sitruc repped this.
  5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think the proper word to use here is: duh. You apparently did not pick up on the sarcasm of my post.

Blaze20 repped this.
  6. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got a job cleaning up the mess a reasonably high fee architect made by laying out his site development via google earth photo. Yeah, he's lucky that I'm saving the Owner more than it's worth for the Owner to go after his E&O insurance.

Something somehting, topography

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Warmth. If you are an architect, I apologize, because you obviously know what you are doing. As a civil engineer, I would advise any land developer (private, institution, commercial, etc) to never let an architect do a site plan. And if a civil engineer used Google earth to do a site plan, that is very sad to me.

And now back to our thread.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If? I was not aware that was in question since my name is like the 4th most googled topic on BigSoccer. I'm also a practicing city planner, so I know a thing or three about development & infrastructure. Should I take pic of my ego wall for verification?

Depends on what you mean by "do a site plan", doesn't it? You guys know your shit front and back for engineering, but on average for laying out building placement, site features, amenities, views, vistas, that's not your bag. You guys just love to scrape off dirt & trees and make everything level & start over. Makes the math easier I suppose. :p

The landscape architect's really like to push their way into it site planning as best they can around here since they can do grading & drainage now, but they really go light on the stormwater pipe and like to use that stuff that crushes too easy. "Just plant your trees & bushes, shrubber and take your drainage to the retention/detention pond."

An Architect is fine for a site plan private residence, as long as the site isn't too goofy. We still get taught grading and whatnot and have to pass that section of the ARE that makes you show how to move water around. But, any more than that and I'd be a fool to to do the civil engineering for utilities, grading etc. (I really do love my little stamp)

Not to mention, the state engineering board here prosecutes and fines Architects that attempt to practice civil engineering on anything more than a private residence. And they'll go after you on that it you ******** it up. It happens more than you'd think, particularly with sole practitioners trying to keep all the money they can, but someone has to turn you in.

For this little disaster, it was all screwed up and overpaved site layout that got presented to and approved by the Owner before the Civil got pulled in to "make it work". For my projects, the Civil is the first guy I call and we walk the site before we even call the surveyor and geotech and I don't start by laying out the Nuremberg Parade Grounds w/o knowing the Owner's budget just so it makes a pretty aerial plan. Saved the owner close to 2 million by cutting out the unnecessary 4 lanes of C&G paving and a ton of earthwork

Tallyho

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't mean to crank you up! :p Thanks for the download; very interesting.....

Predicted attendance this week: 31,500.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's pretty bold! Even if you think the Thorns will bring in ~20k, that'd be ~3k each for the other three games - more if you look at a more reasonable 16k for the Portland game. There's a midweek game, too, and Chicago will be back at Benedictine. I would be shocked if the four non-Portland games averaged 3k each, unless Boston really surprises.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) That's not cranked. Those get me forum bans

2) WTF am I doing in this forum?

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Usually followed by the word troll, right? ;)

Trolling... like usual.

(ps, this is just a joke, I don't personally have anything against you, I just know your reputation)

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I am not quite sure how I could have been expected to.

But, fair enough. There is enough delusion going on in NWSL fora that most sarcasm detectors are rendered inert. Apologies.

sitruc repped this.
  15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's God-King of Trolls. Man, I haven't been down this far since mu "oprahloveswusa" & Linus Van Humpenpillow sockpuppets were still alive

I believe I was summoned

Tip o the hat then and off to cause trouble elsewhere

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were. Because people with actual knowledge of a discipline should be celebrated, not shunned.

17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speak of the devil and he will claim he was summoned.

:D

sitruc and CoachJon repped this.
  18. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think you take this forum way too seriously... It's not like Arnim is gonna read this thread, see my post and exclaim, "Why didn't I think of that?!?! It's so simple and easy!" I'm sure he's more intelligent than that, and he's probably already considered the location and turned it down.

19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    1,754 in Seattle tonight. At least it's more than their 2nd home game last season... (which was also their smallest crowd last season: 1,011)

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And unless I am mistaken, that match was also against the Spirit. The Spirit only bring crowds on the road if the match is on TV.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I was expecting less than that so I think for a wet wednesday in April, this is a good number. If they continue to average 400 - 700 more compared to last year, I expect we will see that number rise steadily during the summer.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting tidbit I found for mid-May:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/269856166517714/
    Unfortunately it'll still probably be a low-attendance week overall with half of the games in midweek (unless WAS and SEA can step it up, since they in theory have mid-size stadia)

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If the league ever grows big enough (boost in attendance, and 12+ teams), then I'd like to see:

- Monday Night NWSL Match (Monday Night football is during the NWSL offseason, so no conflict here)
    - All Star Weekend Festivities, and All Star Match or tournament (possible invited European club team)
    - At least 6 teams in playoffs - Award the top 2 teams in table with a "BYE", #1 team has home field adv)
    - Sunday Night Game of the Week (on national TV, every week throughout the regular season)
    - New Jersey Try-on tradition - between two chosen players from opposing teams before each match.

*Jersey Try-on tradition is when the two players take off their shirt, exchange, and try on the opposing shirt for a sign of mutual respect for their opponent. The crowd then roars with their respect. They then switch back to their usual shirts, and then the match starts a minute later. This promotes good sportsmanship and fan attention.

This new tradition would get new awareness and attention for the league, both domestically and worldwide.
    And that is never a bad thing.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    14,100 in Portland tonight, apparently. Still no word on the CHI number that I've seen yet.

25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    1,822 in Chicago according to the match report