2014 AFF Suzuki Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by stellarboy, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It will be really good for Australia to participate in this tournament in November / December as part of the Asian Cup 2015 preparations the following month. Up to 7 games in a month, and if reaching the final then two games on home soil which is a big bonus (not for the opponents of course)

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Welcome to the AFF Championship, Matilda Maniac. We are happy to see Australia join our premier regional championship. I think your country will improve the standard throughout the region as other nations strive to match your level of play. I also think it will be a marketing bonanza as a region consisting of more than 600 million people will tune in to watch the games, so all parties will benefit financially, especially since there will be home and away games all the way to the final.

Hopefully the Philippines or one of the other ASEAN nations will win the Challenge Cup. That way we can have a couple of nations use this tournament as a springboard towards the Asian Cup.

BTW, will Australia be bringing their players from Europe or will they just use those from A league for this tournament? Many of the Philippine players from Europe, were not released for this tournament in the past and I presume Australia would have the same problem.

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You presume correctly. As the tournament does not fit in a FIFA window clubs are not required to release players. Considering the Asian Cup follows not long after and clubs are required to release players for that, I don't think many will allow their players to also play in the AFF Cup

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I guess that would even the odds somewhat for the rest of ASEAN I suppose, considering the caliber of players you have in Europe. This tournament just got a lot more interesting with Australia joining in.

5. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    But still it's geographically strange Australia joined the AFC and now the AFF.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #31 Pelefan, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    In my mind not really. If they were part of Asia and not on a different continent, geographically the AFF would be a natural fit for them. I think moving forward, Australia would have no choice but to get closer to the region, despite their cultural differences and what better way to start the process than to join the AFF. The economic gap will lessen through time, as the rest of ASEAN catches up, and economic ties will bring the 2 regions closer together.

I am also of the opinion that North and South America should just combine as one confederation, as it will benefit both continents in many ways.

7. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Any news on the Suzuki Cup so far? Like, which teams will have to play qualification matches? What's the number of teams that will qualify via these matches?

8. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I think you have to wait till August for the draw for the next bit of news.

9. pak_sakoorgtloh

Jul 2, 2013
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    maybe in August we will know. interestingly the Aussies will play for the first time in AFF. This can make the competition more exciting

10. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Yes, but if they are to take part in the qualifiers, they might ruin Laos' chances :D:confused:

11. pak_sakoorgtloh

Jul 2, 2013
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    12 nation now compete in AFF region. I cant see why AFF not willing to make 2 groups(6 team in a group). basically this can bring more international friendlies and experience for teams like brunei, cambodia and even your team laos too:);)

GioGyan repped this.
  12. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  13. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Draw on August 5 in Vietnam.

Australia not participating.

14. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
    The discussion for Aussies was for 2016 & later so it was never likely they play in the 2014 edition

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Suzuki Cup draw is today in about an hour:

Click to see countdown.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Grp A is Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia and Qualifiers Runner Up
    Grp B is Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Qualification Winner

17. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    In the Press Conference today for the Philippine Peace Cup, it was mentioned that for 2016 & 2018, there are discussions by the AFF to allow AUS in the Suzuki Cup tournament however nothing final yet.

18. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Although I think they can win the qualifiers, Laos should better end 2nd. Group A seems easier to me.

19. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Yeah I think Group B is the group of death in this tournament. Both former finalists in the previous Challenge Cup are in that group plus the winner of the qualifying group (Group A). Conveniently the hosts are in the weaker group. I always wonder how they manage to do that.

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I added Group A in the wrong sentence. Should have been in the third.

21. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    My qualifier predictions:

Timor-Leste 2-2 Brunei Darussalam
    Laos 2-0 Cambodia

Brunei Darussalam 1-3 Laos
    Myanmar 3-0 Timor-Leste

Timor-Leste 1-1 Cambodia
    Brunei Darussalam 1-4 Myanmar

Cambodia 1-3 Myanmar
    Laos 1-0 Timor-Leste

Myanmar 1-1 Laos
    Cambodia 2-1 Brunei Darussalam

FINAL STANDINGS:

Myanmar (10 points, +8)
    Laos (10 points, +5)

Cambodia (4 points, -3)
    Timor-Leste (2 points, -4)
    Brunei Darussalam (1 point, -6)

22. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    If Timor Leste brings their Brazilian players, they might be a threat and Brunei has been honing their players abroad by letting their clubs participate in Singapore tournaments for instance.

23. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    Yeah, that's true, but I think Timor-Leste's Brazilians will be slightly demotivated after what happened back in 2012. Surely not all of them will answer their call and even with the Brazilian-born internationals they are still a defeatable opponent. Of course Brunei players have gained more experience, but so do at least Laos and Myanmar. Also I think we're underestimating Cambodia because of their disappointing stats. I believe they're still good enough to cause an upset. Don't think they'll be a threat to Laotian and Burmese qualifying, though.

24. pak_sakoorgtloh

Jul 2, 2013
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    one of their Brazilian player now play in K-league I think. Timor will be a threat for all teams in the qualifier.

25. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    k challenge league. (k league 2)