2014 AFF Suzuki Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by stellarboy, Apr 3, 2013.

1. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The 10th Edition of the ASEAN Football Championship to be held on November-December 2014, co-hosted by Singapore and Vietnam. Co-hosts were announced at the pre-awarding press conference of the 2013 AFF Awards in Pahang, Malaysia, through Duli Yang Teramat Mulia Tengku Abdullah ibni Sultan Ahmad Shah, the deputy president of the Football Association of Malaysia and vice-president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) executive committee.

THE TEAMS
    It has been announced that the qualification process will be scrapped for the 2014 edition, therefore giving all AFF teams to participate in the main group stage.

Singapore (co-host, defending champions in 2012 edition)
    Vietnam (co-host)
    Thailand (2012 runners-up)
    Philippines (2012 semi-finalist)
    Malaysia (2012 semi-finalist)
    Indonesia
    Myanmar
    Brunei
    Cambodia
    Laos
    Timor-Leste

The final draw of the competition will be held around July 2014.

PREVIOUS WINNERS
    1996: Thailand
    1998: Singapore
    2000: Thailand
    2002: Thailand
    2004: Singapore
    2007: Singapore
    2008: Vietnam
    2010: Malaysia
    2012: Singapore

More details here: http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3880...apore-and-vietnam-to-host-2014-aff-suzuki-cup

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Article I've discovered that was written in early April states that Australia won't enter the AFF Championship even though they will be members of the ASEAN federation.

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/football/australia-eye-further-east-asia-cups-despite-asean-move

Now, I know every nation can do what they want, but should ASEAN really be admitting members who have no intention of playing in their biggest competition? They are more or less saying we are better than you and giving the region the finger?

I still remember the 2007 Asian Championship when they thought it would be a piece of cake and they generally struggled. I doubt a AFF Championship would be a cake walk either.

3. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair their only big defeat during that tournament was the 3-1 to Iraq while they defeated the recent ASEAN runners-up Thailand 4-0.

They then only lost on penalties 4-3 to Japan. Not a bad tournament. They then proved their dominance in 2011 but are now in a rebuilding process.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    In that Thailand game, they scored 3 in the last 10 minutes when Thailand was pushing, the scoreline is somewhat flaterring.

In recent times, Australia have struggled against Thailand in Asian Cup qualifiers, so theres not a huge gap between the two really.

ASEAN should be demanding that they at least send some sort of team, and to be honest, Australia would be misisng out on not sending a 'A' League side anyway.

5. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never seen a full Australia match (World Cup excluded) but from the highlights it looks like Australia dominate mostly but just never finish and to be honest they don't have a finisher. Robbie Kruse is easily way to overhyped and Thompson is past it.

I do agree that they should send an A-League squad or an "Only Asian League" team but that is there decision.

6. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Australia is going backwards.. That's all I can say. Just watch all of their WCQ's. The only game that impressed me was against KSA in Melbourne.

They are an overaged team, and rely on the last minute headers of Cahill ;) They need to inject fresh blood. They can't rely on Schwarzer, Thompson and Neill forever.

7. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. They do have some nice up and coming players like Mitchell Duke, Craig Goodwin, Trent Sainsbury, Tommy Orr, Tom Rogic, Michael Zullo, Terry Antonis, and Mathew Leckie but they are not fully there yet.

8. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I expected an upset from Oman in Sydney, simply because they're relying on last minute goals.
    Don't think that they will make it to the World Cup, so I think that they will drop to 70-80's in the FIFA rankings

9. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a little to far. They will make the World Cup but they will probably get knocked-out in the group stage.

10. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Believe me. Other Asian teams are getting better and better. The so called 'underdogs' like Jordan and Oman are dominating.

What makes you think that they will qualify?

11. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia is the one with the 1 game advantage over Jordan and Oman. And in there next three matches of qualifiers, 2 of them are at home (to Jordan and Iraq). And the one away at Japan.

Now looking at the squad I think they have the players to get them through. Guys like James Holland, Brett Holman, Mark Milligan, Rhys Williams, Michael Zullo, and Ryan McGowin are better then the average Iraqi or Jordan player. And Tim Cahill, while not as good as he was before, has dominated in MLS with the Red Bulls and MLS is a better league than where most of those guys come from.

So don't underestimate Australia. They are a good side on there day and they know now that if they drop more than 2 points then that is it. They are cooked. So lets just wait and see.

I expect a draw or a loss against Japan and victory against Iraq and Jordan. And I feel that Iraq can do Australia a solid and hold Oman at least to a draw while Oman can hold Jordan. So the chances are looking good for Australia. Just don't mess up now.

12. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    They will lose to Japan, beat Jordan, and draw or lose their last game against us. I think they will go to the playoffs, and then lose to a South America side.

The pressure will be on them the last 2 home games. What means home advantage if you can't beat Oman?

13. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does home advantage mean when my United States can not beat Costa Rica at home or even Panama in the last Gold Cup. Shit happens.

Now, I will say this again, yes the pressure is on but the Aussie's love pressure. They take advantage of it usual. Now I am not a full supporter of Australia but this is the case usually in Australian sports. They do not give up and when they see that they could be sunk anytime soon then they are spring back up.

Will it be easy, no, will they do it, yes.

14. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I agree with you that the Aussies have the 'do or die attitude'. They love the thrill of facing elimination / play-off's, that's their strength.

Whatever the outcome will be, this will all last until the last matchday, and it will be an amazing last match against Iraq.

I can't wait :D

15. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here, Here!!!

16. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To return this discussion to the AFF Cup, I agree, Australia is doing themselves and AFF a terrible disfavor by not at least sending a young squad for the experience. Why did we admit them to AFF again? They can't draw crowds if they don't participate and they aren't Southeast Asian any way you look at it.

17. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Before we talk too much about Australia, can we at least talk about the scrapping of the qualification round?

I do think that the qualifiers were instituted because the lower teams then (Cambodia, Laos, Timor Leste, Brunei, Myanmar (on some occasions), and the Philippines) couldn't just keep up with the big teams (Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam). It was especially a bad prospect at that time to include all of them on the main tournament as the lower teams would suffer large-scale losses most of the time. You might have witnessed the 13-1 drubbing by Indonesia against the Philippines in 2002, and it wasn't good to look at.

But you might have witnessed as well in 2010 the Philippines win 2-0 against Vietnam which grabbed headlines all over the world. This I think became a major turning point for the lower nations to catch up with the upper nations by emulating what the Azkals have done since. In the previous tournament in 2012, we did see in the qualifiers that it was a close fight to the main tourney with Timor Leste almost making it to the main round with their players of part-Brazilian heritage.

Now that the gap in quality has been lessened, I think it's indeed time that the qualifiers be scrapped and all 11 of them should be involved in the main tourney. As I see it, we may have a longer Suzuki Cup and we should see surprises coming along the way.

18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree with you that if we are to be a member of AFF then we should enter a team in the Championship. The timing may be the thing that makes it difficult for this tournament with preparations for the Asian Championships to be hosted by us in January 2015 being in full swing at that time. If we don't play in this event this time, we should make sure we play in it in future.

19. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    When questioned previously on the subject, Football Federation Australia said it did not expect the Socceroos to be allowed to participate at the 2014 AFF Championships.

However, after the formal announcement of its admission to the regional federation, an FFA spokesperson hinted that fresh attempts would be made to secure a place at the tournament next year.

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3952...eroos-could-compete-at-2014-aff-championships

20. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Qualifiers as usual in AFF Suzuki Cup.

Laos will be hosting the qualifiers in October 2014

21. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #21 stellarboy, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    As expected, with the possible entry of Australia in the Suzuki Cup, it seems that the AFF wouldn't want to "embarrass" the weaker nations by not letting them get drawn and play Australia then and there if they had to directly put the low-ranked nations in the main tourney. Smoke-screening on AFF's part. LOL

22. E_ViLL14

E_ViLL14 Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Pure speculation at this point. It's not clear (or if it will at all) why the current format was retained. But at the same time, it's not yet certain that Australia will be part of the 2014 edition.

23. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
  24. GioGyan

GioGyan Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Netherlands
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Laos
    I'm pleased with the fact that Laos have received the rights to host the qualifying tourney. It's a shame we aren't directly qualified, but hosting a qualification stage is also very fun. Besides, we will still qualify, as usual...