2014/2015 Development Academy Additions/Changes

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Bora Fan, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So curious to know when USSF makes it's selections for new teams, kicks out old teams that aren't adopting the Dev Academy principles, and does things like they did last year to expand the U13/14 Dev academy program to new clubs that don't field U15/16 and U17/18 programs.

Anyone have any juice?

2. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    Last year it was April when news started leaking out about clubs getting kicked out, so I'd imagine between now and then. I don't know anything more specific than that, obviously.

3. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which clubs have been "kicked out" in the past? And for what reasons?

4. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry - don't know specifically if/what clubs were kicked out - just know that was the intent to evaluate clubs, grade them, and so naturally assuming that if there are clubs that are consistently not meeting the agreed objectives they will not be invited back.

5. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Last year, in the Mid-Atlantic Division, they kicked out Potomac and McLean and replaced them with the Philadelphia Union and Bethesda/Olney. Both new clubs are dramatically better than the clubs that they replaced. In my opinion, the changes were long overdue. McLean was an organized kick and run club that looked like it had a decent record, but weren't trying to produce top players. Potomac was just really bad on all levels. Met Oval, in the New York area, was also dropped for being consistently awful.

A lot of the changes come through mergers. One change that is coming up next year in the Mid Atlantic division is that the Richmond Kickers and the Richmond Strikers are going to combine to form Richmond United, yet maintain separate clubs otherwise. Richmond has proven that they can't sustain two DA programs, so this is an attempt to see if the city can sustain one by combining resources. The Kickers have a fully funded DA, but the Strikers get most of the traditional suburban upper middle class players (which is most of the players in Richmond).

One of the worst teams in the history of the DA has been Classics Elite in San Antonio. This year they have affiliated with the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL, but this has not turned out well. They are pretty much as bad as they are every year. A lot of times these mergers end up being like putting lipstick on a pig.

Sandon Mibut and soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious to see if they expand the U13/U14 regional experiment to other regions - where you end up with closer local teams. . . and also curious to see if some of the U13/U14s clubs that came in last year - get invited to join teh older U15/U16 age group - as they graduate players out.

7. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know which clubs have filed an application for admittance in the USSDA?

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Wouldn't be a surprised if a couple of the U14 only clubs added for this season become full members next season, FC Golden State is one I'd like to see become a full member here in So Cal.

UcIceD2011 repped this.
  9. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the Pittsburgh Riverhounds have filed an application for the 2nd straight year. They were denied admittance last year. US Soccer has designated Pittsburgh as an area they which to be represented in through an academy.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Pittsburgh is the 22nd largest metro statistical area in the U.S., and the largest that does not have at least one DA, so I'm sure they're high on USSF's list. Next in line after Pittsburgh are Cincinnati and Las Vegas, population-wise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Peter Bonetti and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  11. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard one of the hang ups is that a Pittsburgh DA doesn't have a "travel partner". Closest DA are in Cleveland/Internationals (2 hr) and Colombus/Crew (3.5 hr).

12. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    My cousin told me that heat fc in las vegas applied for u14 DA.

13. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Pairings of Pittsburgh-Cleveland and Columbus-Indianapolis seem like they'd be better than what I believe they currently have, which is Cleveland-Columbus and Indianapolis off on its own.

nandoal28 repped this.
  14. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it looks like the USSDA decisions get communicated on Friday, March 14th.

That's from the application online.

Will be interesting to see whether the USSF decides to take a slow growth approach - or to do another expansion to fill out regionally more of the schedule.

Also - will be interesting to see how they handle new clubs who only have U14 DA programs. . . will they renew at same U14 - if so what happens to the graduating U14s? Or do they expand more significantly at U16 because they need to keep all those new kids in the swing of things?

15. ARSENAL#1

ARSENAL#1 Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I
    expand.....

16. nandoal28

nandoal28 Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on new additions?

17. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen anything - but if anyone has any news - please post here.

I'm curious to see how many of the current clubs get renewed - and how many actually get upgraded to full DA status with the current U14 squad being able to continue on as a U16 group.

Right now all the new adds were only granted U14 DA status - so big question around what happen when that class graduates at clubs that don't have full DA.

18. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just scanned Google and nothing is popping up on this - so looks like the announcements will take longer - so perhaps late Spring?

Anyone heard anything else?

19. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    La futbol academy u14 participation approved for next season

Peter Bonetti and ARSENAL#1 repped this.
  20. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you a part of LAFA or got that off of socalsoccer?

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Aren't LAFA U14's already participating?

22. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they got renewed.

23. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    neither, i was privy to written list.

24. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the list indicate whether all the clubs currently in got renewed - or if any got cut - new ones added etc...

Any more beans you can spill?

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changes for 2014-15

FC Golden State (Pasadena, CA) and Juventus SC (Redwood City, CA) will become full members with U18 and U16 teams.

Four new clubs in the U14 bracket:

Cedar Stars Academy (NJ)
    Lehigh Valley United (PA)
    Prince William Soccer (VA)
    EBU Bay Oaks (Nor-CA)

Any thoughts on these clubs?

Peter Bonetti, ARSENAL#1 and ielag repped this.