2014/15 Champions League anticipation thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Imran_INDIA, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Screw PSG, they always want everyone. Rudi is not going anywhere. Pallotta is not stupid. He'll tie him down soon.

2. Michael Berk

Michael Berk Member+

Apr 21, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your mouth..I hope you're right. I would just imagine, to some degree, Rudi has to be tempted. I hope you're right, the future progress I think lies so heavily on Rudi's shoulders. It's been a few years that these guys actually look like they're having a good time, and enjoy going to battle with each other.

3. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing about Rudi is that I'm sure he was attracting a lot of suitors after he won the title with Lille, and he stayed. He has a bit of loyalty that other managers don't have. I don't think he would be pried away from us as much as it would be time for us to part ways. It happens in the cycle of every manager at a club. There will be a peak and a valley. Hopefully 2nd place isn't our peak.

Edit: I think Klopp will be the big target for clubs like PSG and City this summer. He's a brilliant manager, but I think he's gone as far as he can with Dortmund (which is actually pretty damned far).

4. Dukea

Dukea Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Give me Porto or Benfica or Arsenal from Pot 1.
    Anyone excluding PSG and Man City from Pot 2
    Anyone excluding Liverpool from Pot 3

5. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think we could give some of the pot 1 teams a run for their money and maybe get at tie out of them. If we draws teams that we can beat from pot 2/3 we have a good shot of advancing out of the group.

6. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Started watching a few videos of our Champions League historical matches , and i'm getting super hyped.
    So i wanted to ask everyone who was following Roma back then....
    Which one is the better side , Roma 2007-08 or the current one?
    I wanna say the 2007-08 was leaps and bounds better.

7. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this team is better. Way better defense, a more consistent midfield, attack is a push for me. On paper, the only thing that the 07/08 team has over this one is Totti in his prime (or closer to his prime).

Edit: I should mention that a lot of my taking this team over the 07/08 has to do with the durability of some of the key players on that team. Juan, Aquilani, and aging Totti couldn't keep healthy, and we were losing a lot of player's to Spalletti's death marches in training.

8. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From the defensive PoV i can agree with you
    But for me , midfield up , it's just all around better.

Pizarro , De Rossi , Mancini , Vucinic , Perrotta/Taddei , Totti.
    Mancini and Perrota when they still played were pure gold , Mancini was incredible in Champions League.

9. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    I'm not sure. Spaletti's team could beat anyone on their day, which they proved in Madrid, but they could also lose to anyone. This team is much more balanced, and I guess we'll see in a couple of months just how strong we really are.

10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I think this team is comparable to 2006/2007 team, Ill wait until after the summer mercato to compare it to 2007/2008 team. My reasoning is that the CL money was used and the depth was improved significantly in 2007 summer, similar to what will happen this summer, but I will wait to see the results. This team is better than 2006/2007 team IMO, but such comparisons are not objective because of many different variables.

11. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Indeed they aren't , but i would sign it now for the same magic nights as the 2007/08 team , winning against Manchester / Bayern / Chelsea / Real Madrid was such an epic experience , let us hope they can build on the current team.

12. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest thing is that I rate Garcia well above Spalletti. Mentality and defense lead to consistency. He's also not destroying his own depth during training sessions.

It's not apples to apples, but I would take this midfield over that midfield in a heartbeat. There is a lot more of that hallowed grinta in our current midfield. Pizarro was soft and lazy. He was either going to have a good game or be a liability. We got exposed a lot because of that, and we don't have that problem in our current midfield. Aquilani was great when healthy, but he was still only marginally better than Pizarro defensively. I much prefer De Rossi's ability to freelance

The forwards, yeah, I'd take those attackers over ours, but not by nearly as much as you. Totti then, obviously, but Mancini and Vucinic were lazy, and Rodrigo was obviously limited in his play. I think Totti then would have rather played with Gervinho and Florenzi with Destro mixed in because of how hard they work for the team. Mancini was so lazy, and Vucinic wasn't even a consistent starter until January of 2008 but was also so lazy and inconsistent.

13. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well , i just hope we can replicate those nights , it would be so nice to see us performing so well in the UCL again.

14. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    I'll take '06-07 right now. I love this team, but they didn't beat anyone as good as Madrid / Man U. That de Rossi penalty vs Man United still makes me sick to my stomach. If Totti played he scores and we win that game. Aquilani played one of his best games at Roma vs Madrid that year. Heartbreaking that we sold Il piccolo coccodrillo, although it worked out I guess.

15. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You watch this one?

Gianluca511 repped this.
  16. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our midfield is better now, like mentioned, much more consistent, more steel, just needs some more creativity to be ideal....Pizarro used to do the dumbest things...single handedly cost us points in matches...anyone remember the handball on the line vs Inter resulting in a direct red and pretty much killing the season's momentum? Duuuuuumbass.

17. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well , the main complaint that everyone had about Spalletti's Roma was that we were "small", we didn't have much muscular players , when Inter could sport Viera / Cambiasso / Ibra back then , but we had such good 2-touch football.

18. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We always played the best football, that was never in doubt. Just needed to be more consistent back then, beating the "little" teams etc. Squad depth too. Inter were just too big and $$$.

19. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is my ideal formation between mixing and matching current / Spalletti era players.

De Sanctis

Maicon - Benatia - Chivu - Panucci

Pjanic - De Rossi(spaletti's) - Strootman

Gervinho - Totti (Spalletti's) - Mancini

we'd win the scudetto with like... no fight.

20. stugotz

stugotz Member+

May 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Perrotta would have to be a starter, he's a world champion!

21. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Guily but yes, Pizarro had days where he was our best weapon and days where he was the other team's best weapon.

22. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Pizarro was the most consistent player in Roma from 2006 to 2010, even more consistent than Totti. He had his weaknesses and his style was little risky, but out of 10 games he would have 1 below standard game, usually after injuries.

More has to with his position on the pitch, he played deep and held the ball for too long, but without him Roma looked like a rugby team dressed as a football one.

La Magica repped this.
  23. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pizarro got benched for Aquilani until the inevitable injury. Not even Spalletti believes what you just said.

24. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    He rotated them, he used Aquilani when he wanted to play more direct and Pizarro when he preferred possession, Pizarro was never a bench player. It was a tactical choice, not because Pizarro was inconsistent. If anyone performances were volatile it was Aquilani, when on good form he was pretty good so Spalo had to play him, but he was very inconsistent. Pizarro's performance were always of the same standard, he did his thing every game he played, other than very few games like the Palermo dreadful game.

25. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    The rugby comment was a reference to the Emirates game, that day we literally couldn't hold on the ball for more than 5 seconds before Arsenal took it. Pizarro came in the last half hour and completely changed the game, the possession was turned to Roma, and we almost got an equalizer in the final minutes.