2013 vs 2014

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by milicz, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    By Fixture
    2014: 0-6-1, 6 points, 10GF, 11GA
    2013: 2-1-4, 7 points, 9GF, 11GA

Last year's result:
    NE (L 0-1 last year)

Upcoming games
    RSL (@D 1-1 last year)
    @NY (L 5-2 last year)
    SKC (L 1-2 last year)

Gained another point on last year's results. Moving on up....

seamuslush repped this.
  2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    If the 2014 Fire had the 2012 Rolfe and the 2013 Magee, we'd be in pretty good shape. Instead it looks like the Fire have become the destination where a player's career goes to die.

3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Montreal's win today we are dead last in the Eastern Division:( and one of three teams yet to win a game (FIRE, San Jose and Portland).

4. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm going to have to watch that one.

5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
  6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Portland and San Jose play tonight and we could possibly be the ONLY winless team.

DC and New England won tonight.

Who was it that said that DC didn't improve from last year and wouldn't finish ahead of us? I believe it was Mr. Optimist. Currently we are 5 points from the number 5 spot and done playing the so called bottom of the table teams (Chivas, DC, NE....). Now we get vs. RSL, @ New York, vs. Kansas City, @ Columbus, vs. LA and @ Colorado.

We will be lucky not to finish dead last in the league, great job Dollar Menu from building us up from the ground up.

7. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    DC stuck with their legend Ben Olsen after one of, or maybe the worst season ever. We dumped our technical staff and started over. DC pummeled Dallas while we're still searching for our first win. Klopas finally got his.

I was against a 2-3 year rebuild.

8. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    More like Hauptmancakes built whatever we had and shit on it and then burned it to ground.

Built it from the ground up....bitch please.

xtomx, ratdog, bunge and 2 others repped this.
  9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our technical staff, Leo, Mike and Leon.:p Do you really think we would be doing better if Frankie didn't get fired?

10. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do. We'd still have the new guys as well as Austin Berry, and Magee would be playing up top where he belongs.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  11. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Klopas wasn't a perfect coach but he was improving. If we weren't willing to give him room to grow like DC is giving Olsen, we shouldn't have hired him. Of course, Andrew could save money by hiring him in the first place so there's that.

Would we be doing better though? Realistically we couldn't be doing much worse but I know the question is more rhetorical than realistic. I think Klopas would have needed some better assistants like CJ and a new, MLS experienced person in Javier Leon's position to really make a drastic improvement.

I think Klopas is a better coach now than he was when he got us to the USOC final. I think with CJ and a Garth Lagerway at his side we'd be in the top third of MLS, instead of one of the bottom three.

seamuslush and xtomx repped this.
  12. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andycakes and his band of merry idiots ********ed this team over so bad we're going to paying for their mistakes for years.

xtomx, ratdog, Chris M. and 1 other person repped this.
  13. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But hey, we'd be tied for 7th place if we were in the West, right?

[​IMG]

henryo repped this.
  14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Agreed.

Apparently Andrew is spreading the tale that Klopas screwed things up monetarily and Hauptman bailed the team out this offseason with his own cash. Allegedly he's saying he spent $700k to buy out contracts and that's some sort of martyrdom.

Where's the allocation cash? That's what I say.

Chris M. repped this.
  15. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hauptman should tell the truth but he won't because he's a giant douche. Javier Leon is one of the big reasons we're so ********ed right now.

skinut and bunge repped this.
  16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also would of resigned Pause to new contract.:p

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8th Chivas has the tiebreaker against us.:p By tomorrow we could possibly be dead last in the league,:( if San Jose and Portland win their games.

18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I know you're being sarcastic. But Klopas essentially benched Pause last year.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, just wow. This is just sad.

First, that he would throw Frank Klopas under the bus. The guy is/was a friggin' Chicago soccer legend. Again, a way to continue slowly kill off the Fire past.
    Second, I would like Mr. Hauptman to give specifics (was Rios a Klopas guy, was Castillo, was MacDonald, was JLA, was Soumare???)
    Third, that somehow Hauptman spending $700k is some kind of grand gesture, as opposed to what the owner/operator is supposed to do.

I did not have a problem with Klopas as a head coach. I consistently said that Klopas as head coach was not our biggest problem (although a significant upgrade could be found-Yallop is not a significant upgrade). However, there was no way that Klopas should have been both Head coach and technical director, especially when the Fire had no general manager/president and that he was surrounded by buffoons.
    A decent director of player personnel and a club president (you mentioned Lagerway) and we would have been so much better suited. By the way, this situation has not changed. We still don't have a dpp or president to speak of here in Chicago.

loonixxx, goldclover and bunge repped this.
  20. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more reason I hope the league Vergaras him for wrecking the team in their third largest market.

loonixxx, xtomx and bunge repped this.
  21. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose is in the win column. Just us and Portland now.

bunge repped this.
  22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #47 xtomx, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    We're number 2!
    Oh, that has bad connotations.

23. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said last year, Dear Leader is our biggest problem. You can whine about this or that player, this or that coach or even this or that FO idiot but as long as Dollar Menu is in charge, we can change players, coaches and FO staff all we want and we're still going nowhere because he won't bring in better people than we had before because that would take an investment in the team that he is not willing to make because he can still ride the weave of expansion teams and the general rise of soccer until he finally cashes out and ********s off to go wreck something else.

skinut, xtomx, firefan2001 and 2 others repped this.
  24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of.:p He was still our captain so I could see Frankie resigning him to a new contract. Didn't Frankie sign him to that ridiculous contract five years ago.:(

25. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    [I'll be careful when I answer this, because some posters here are getting their tonsils bruised by their Klopas polesmoking.]

No, the team failed to make the playoffs in 3 out of 4 seasons. And even in the one so-called "postseason appearance," it was a meager play-in game that they lost. The coaching staff was not smart enough to beat a team of amateurs, nor the statistically-worst MLS team to ever take the field, AT HOME, in the USOC. They basically ran out the same 4 defenders every match. They failed to master the concept of "roster rotation," be it for incentivizing good or bad play, to address fatigue, or to blood youngsters. And tactically, well let's just say that Klopas, et. al were certainly not Sir Alex or Mourinho.

Relative to the performance on the field, the roster was poorly and expensively assembled. [And yes, SOME of this is on the former TD/Manager, although there are those who refuse to accept that their boyfriend had any hand in this.]

That Klopas' Montreal team is doing better than the FIRE is no surprise, IMO. Their roster is better than the one he left behind in Chicago. [Seriously, Di Vaio vs. Anangono?] Shouldn't Montreal be BETTER than they are, given the quality of their roster?

In sum, no. The FIRE would not be better off standing pat with the former failed managerial staff. It would have rewarded FAILURE [again], rather than punishing it. And it was offensive to ask the fans to pay for Klopas' "OJT" as manager and as TD. It would have been even MORE offensive to the paying customer to ask them to pay for an inferior product that is led by an inferior leader going into 2014. Hopefully Klopas can improve at his job, and support himself through his work in the game.

SparkeyG repped this.