2013 USMNT Galaxy Flavored Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by CSUFstewie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Choice quotes from a Wynalda talk from Jonathan Tannenwald - a reporter in Philly I believe:

Wynalda informs us that he politely declined an invitation to debate Nelson Rodriguez, and does not intend to be so incendiary this year. (Berks: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH)

"The silver spoon kids who come out of college and think they've arrived."

"I would much rather see all the post-Beckham money allocated to the guys we don't know yet."

"I don't want to scream at the rain anymore... I take no pleasure in it... In going on TV and throwing rocks at my friends."

"When you ask the players from the second tier down, it used to be they want to go to Europe - now they want to be on the USMNT."

"We spend so much time turning them into who we don't want them to be... that we don't know who they really are." On player development

"There were three fights in national team camp this week - that's awesome. That's the best news I've heard in years." (Berks: does it surprise anyone he values this? Anyone?)

"Landon can't even get in the team right now" - Wynalda notes that Landon Donovan "can't make the rules." (Berks: *every* time. He's better than you. Get over it. Also, "can't get in the team right now?" Are you SERIOUS?)

Wynalda would still like to coach in MLS. "I think I've come in second a few times."

Says that at one point he planned with Jorge Campos and Claudio Suarez to form a coaching staff at Chivas USA. (Berks: oh, how fitting.)

Probably not the right place to put this, but I couldn't resist. He is one of the biggest blowhards in soccer that just loves the sound of his own voice.

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  4. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted this in the Nats thread, but buried in these two interviews with Jurgen (where JK comes off arrogant imo), is a little tidbit that LD is expecting to try and earn back a spot with the Nats this year.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323940004578258072832363036.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
    http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/01/22/jurgen-klinsmann-us-mens-national-soccer-team-sounds-off/

Klinsmann recently told Donovan he didn't want him at the U.S. team's January camp or at the match against Honduras in a couple of weeks. "It will be defined over the next year what his role with the national team is. But the ultimate call is mine on whether he fits into my plans or doesn't fit into my plans."

"Landon wanted his time off. He made certain decisions throughout the last couple of years that are his decisions. I watch that. I evaluate that. I could have evaluated him a few times when he was with us, not that many times, but a few times. I will make the call at the end of the day if he fits into my plans or not. I told him in December he’s not part of the January camp, and I told him in December he’s not part of the Honduras game. From his perspective, he’s still on his break."

Richard Motzkin, Donovan's agent, said he, too, is taking Klinsmann at his word and knows he will have to earn back a spot on the national team after he rejoins his club, the Los Angeles Galaxy, at some still to-be-determined time later this year.

jmaestro repped this.
  6. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those are great reads. Thanks. I certainly don't think Klinsmann comes off as arrogant though. I thought everything he said was spot on. It's great to have a coach challenging every member of the sqaud. He genuinely seems to care about improving the entire program.

As for Donovan, I think he is more than capable of securing a role. If Chandler is still getting call up's, so will Donovan.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  8. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gaffer is a former world cup champion has played in some of the top leagues in the world of football. He can say whatever he wants I know he knows what he's talking about and if I'm LD or anyother USMNT player this puts me on notice. Because if the undisputed best player the US has ever produced is not a lock for the country than I (a recently capped player) am in a world of hurt if I think I'm just gonna get by on my name or past accomplisments I back the kaiser on this.

9. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I think Jurgen's comments are spot on. He's absented himself from the team, and when he comes back he has to earn a spot. Shouldn't be a problem if he's ready to commit and play hard. It's also not abnormal at all---look at Kaka and Ronaldinho trying their best to work their way back to playing for Brazil. You lose form, get injured, or decide you need a long vacation, you have to earn your way back in. This is also part and parcel with Jurgen's insistence on good training and rest habits and being mentally committed to improving. You have to be 100% committed to the team, or else there's six guys who play your position who would jump at an invite and chance to prove themselves.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general, I don't think anyone on our team has that opinion. I do not agree with Jurgen's approach. I talk about this a ton in the Nats thread, so I won't bring it up here.

No problem with this if that was the context of the article. Combined with the other comments, including putting down Clint Dempsey's time at Fulham, I find it abrasive. The senior guys on the team know this and know it ten times over, and I suspect the junior guys too. It's the same way at their clubs.

11. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen simply stated facts, everything he said in the article is true. He expects and demands that we can do more. Sometimes the truth hurts and is not easy to hear, but I think he is trying to instill the mentality of what it takes to be a Champion. Jurgen was hired to help the USMNT reach the next level and go deep in the World Cup, and he knows how to get there (Won a European Championship & World Cup as a player, and led Germany to 3rd place in the 06 WC as a manager).

Hachiko repped this.
  12. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and I can disagree on that.

14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MPNumber9 repped this.
  15. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BimmerBenz95 and Geneva repped this.
  16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok Berks, I got it: you are not a fan of The Joyful German. 18 months from now the rubber will be meeting the road and we'll finally be able to settle our differences of opinion.

18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I still don't want him fired and want to see what he can do. He is absolutely not stupid.

Forget 18 months, he could help change my opinion of him on 2/6. Someone on the Nats board phrased it great (who also doesn't want him fired, but wants more from him like I do):
    Suyuntuy said:
    And, as I've said before, he rubs me (and many other people) the wrong way in interviews. The interview should be used to create a connection between you and the fans. To inform, acknowledge, and get positive interest from the public. JK seems to think the interviews should be about him. He is the guy who rescued us, poor CONCACAF minnows, from the darkness of football ignorance. All bow to him.
    I just think there's MORE to Jurgen and his success. And I'd like to see him talk about that stuff (like the great article on MLSsoccer.com on high pressure) rather than Americans thinking drinking 5 beers before a soccer game is ok.
    Absolutely happy to eat crow in terms of our win/loss record and will applaud him with consistent success. But I can disagree with his approach. I actually was warming to him coming out of October due to his win/loss record, and then the last few interviews have just rubbed me wrong.

I questioned Bruce Arena this year, and I was wrong. I'm willing to admit that and leave Jurgen an open door...for now. ;)

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word of negative player responses to Jurgen Klinsmann's latest interview?
    -- @Ohbwonn
    No, and I'm not expecting any, at least not publicly. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Klinsmann said, among other things, that Clint Dempsey "hasn't made s---" in his club career. The context softens it a little bit if you read the story, but that's harsher than anything Klinsmann has said publicly to this point, and my guess is Dempsey wasn't happy to see it. That said, I think it is fair to wonder why the U.S. has yet to produce a genuine soccer superstar. Klinsmann knows that part of the reason he was hired was because unlike previous U.S. coaches, he has a playing resume that allows him to ask: What have you really done? Whether he's successful in this strategy, though, depends on how much his players are really tuning him in. There's always the possibility this approach could backfire.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130124/mailbag-eden-hazard-chelsea/#ixzz2IyY7YWbK

20. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, and there is where I think he has the ability to help us the most: bringing a better lifestyle to the players. And I don't think he is thinking that this is an American problem---he says that players have too much scrutiny in Football, Basketball, Baseball here in the states (and I think he is absolutely correct)---but that soccer players haven't had that scrutiny and don't have to be as committed in lifestyle choices because no one makes them. I don't blow off that theory because of the high failure rate of promising Americans going abroad. Guys like Benny Feilhaber left with tons of talent and promise and has managed to piss off just about every coach he has had. Freddy Adu can't stick ANYWHERE it seems like. Eddie Johnson is another guy who always had questions about his work ethic and who flamed out pretty spectacularly overseas. There's exceptions to this, of course, guys like Cherundolo and Bocanegra. And I don't feel the comments about Dempsey were in any way derogatory---they were simply you haven't done anything yet playing for Fulham, you have the talent, you need to play Champion's League soccer, you need to go to a bigger club---which Dempsey went out and did. Dempsey is an ambitious guy, he's always wanted to play the CL. If Jurgen helped light a fire under him to get to the next level, it's OK with me if he pissed him off, but I really doubt he did. Dempsey has always responded well to getting told to get his butt in gear and make it to the next level.

21. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, 500 days until WC2014 starts........

22. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jurgen looks like a beast in this picture...just towering...

23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can see your point, we are just going to disagree. I'm more in favor of what I posted and think he sells our athletes short and tells them things my Mom told me when I was 5.

But if his tactics work out and he improves us, then more power to him.

Grant Wahl seemed to think Clint would not appreciate the comment. I'm in that boat as well. However, as one Nats poster puts it, he usually takes haterade and turns it into motivatorade.

24. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen tells his players things your mom told you when you were 5? :rolleyes: I think you just need to get over it man, he said nothing but the truth.

25. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks is not a man!

StillKickin repped this.