2013 USMNT Galaxy Flavored Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by CSUFstewie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen confirmed today that LD will not be part of the Honduras roster. Imo, way too early to make that kind of claim (unless LD told him a flat out no and Jurgen is giving him the polite out). He tied it to participation in camp, but we all know Edu is going to be called even though he's been riding pine for months, so, whatever.

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe its because Landon turned down an invite to camp while I'm guessing Edu didn't? If so I understand Klinsmann doing this and I imagine Landon does as well. Klinnsy wants him to show his commitment and desire to be on the team before he plays in qualifiers. That being said I hope they work it out, and soon! Because we are much better with LD than without him.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's probably even truer for LAG.

4. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not training anywhere, he's not in any camps, and he's not sure he's going to play soccer again.

I'm with Jurgen on this one. It's January 9th, qualifiers are less than 2 months away, and right now Donovan could be living on top of a Tibetan mountain writing existential haikus about the movement of a soccer ball on green, green grass as a metaphor for the difficulty of trusting the human senses to interpret the world around us when they start. You have to move on. Donovan will have to get back to training and playing for a bit before he's ready for that. He's not 25 anymore, and this is no normal break for him.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    zuqiu85 repped this.
  6. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I have to move on if he's back in two weeks? Why on earth would you make that statement about him not being included on the roster when he hasn't even decided yet?

Clint Dempsey didn't play soccer for three months, then started in Jamaica and went 90. Not like Jurgen hasn't done this exact thing before.

LD could be in camp on 1/18. Which means I would have rolled out the red carpet for Honduras. Again, if you're concerned about fitness (not sure why with LD, but okay), then at least bring him as a super sub. Cause if I'm choosing between Gatt and LD as a super sub, I know who I'm going with.

8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if you guys saw twitter implode with news of LD's "retirement" tonight based on 1 tweet that was since deleted from some random person's account. I nearly had a heart attack until I realized it was all a bad rumor.

There was indeed a freak out. Don't know what you've got till it's gone - eh folks?

Seriously wondering if someone heard a Galaxy player was retiring (Noonan) and then jumped to a very very wrong conclusion. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure this was the culprit.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned this to the naysayers over in the USA forum, and for some reason they couldn't fathom a scenario in which LD turns down the opportunity to go to National Team camp but would alternately show up for his club team's camp.

What's so hard to imagine about that? He hasn't been to Camp Cupcake for 5 years. I never expected him at that camp anyway. But it's very much within the realm of possibility that he shows up at training camp for the Galaxy, the team that pays his salary and of which he is the Captain.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. Yeah, he really needed to be there this week for pilates and nutrition planning.

None of our regulars are there - don't see the need for him to be there. Practicing with the team, fitness, sure. But most of those guys aren't making the senior squad and he's been playing with most of the senior squad for years now. If he can get dropped into a brand new EPL team with a week's notice and do fine I have no idea how we are rejecting the idea of even using him as a super sub in Honduras. A super sub.

Things go bad in Honduras, and he's training in LA (or England), people are going to want to hear exactly why he wasn't on the roster. Especially if someone like Maurice Edu with his grand total of something like 30 minutes of play in 6 months, is.

11. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard of Landon being involved in any soccer related activity since the final? (Playing video games with kids of publicity does not count.) That was certainly not the situation with Dempsey. In addition, Donovan has spent a relatively miniscule amount of time with the USMNT since Jurgen came on. Guys like Gatt have actually spent more time with the team and his system. Jurgen is trying to plan lineups and formations. He's talked to Donovan recently and was told Donovan was not sure if he was coming back to soccer. Donovan has pulled out of more friendlies and camps than any other player in the Klinnsman era. (Most of it not his fault, but he simply hasn't been there.) He's supposed to just have an open spot despite the fact that he won't commit, hasn't been playing or training or anything, and hasn't backed off from retirement statements made in a really disturbing and emotional interview where he stated he was burned out and going to take off as long as he needed to decide his future? I'm sorry, I love the guy, but Jurgen is completely justified in saying he's not going to be on the Feb roster.

JuiceBox and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  12. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    The roster for the U20 camp was also released today ... looks like we have a few young'ins on Tab Ramos' U20 radar ...

Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.) - defender
    Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.) - forward

JuiceBox, StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  13. CSUFstewie

CSUFstewie Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Placentia, CA
    Any idea if Andrew Farrell is on The Bruce's radar? Haven't seen him play but from what I have read the kid is the real deal. Also, with Toronto having the #1 pick a trade could be in line ...

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is good news. Tab should be a great mentor for the U20 kids and its nice to see that our positive view of these guys is validated by someone with no ax to grind.

15. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if Bruce rates Andrew Farrell. However if we're fortunate to land the top spot then I think Walker Zimmerman would be the pick, not Farrell. Farrell is the real deal but he's more MLS ready right now than Zimmerman is, and that's why he's rated higher. However, Zimmerman probably has more upside at CB and is more of a prototypical central defender, similar in the Omar mold.

CSUFstewie repped this.
  16. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said jmaestro!

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint went on vacation for a good chunk of time, and then was banished from Fulham. So basically, same boat in my eyes.

Gatt has played a grand total of 1 game so far. I could care less that LD hasn't spent a ton of time in Jurgen's system at this point in time. I have faith he'll figure it out. He got plunked in the middle of Moyes' system twice and figured it out. Here he's playing with a majority of a squad he's played with for 10 years. If a guy can go from sitting on a beach in Hawaii to being respectable against Arsenal I figure he could handle playing Honduras for 20 minutes.

Yes. He is supposed to have an open spot. You call your best players. Period. WCQ is no joke, and leaving off one of your best creators because he wasn't around for three weeks of camp?

Foolish and not justified imo.

If you are concerned, I have no idea why you don't invite him for the sole purpose of being a supersub. I think he could figure out how to operate for 20 minutes on the pitch.

WarGalaxy and StillKickin repped this.
  18. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to do a long reply to this, Berks, and then I realized we probably both understand the others' viewpoint, and we just disagree. So no point in belaboring in.

I am curious though--when would you rule Donovan out? If he doesn't show up to Galaxy camp? The first day of qualifying camp?

19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good. We agree to disagree!

When would I rule LD out of Honduras? The days before the roster needed to come out. If the game is 2/6 and the roster goes out the week before, which is 1/30 - the day after the Canada game... That means Jurgen's calling his team the weekend before I'm guessing - weekend of 1/26. I put in one last call to LD: you ready? The answer is no, then no roster. I do want him there with the veterans in qualifying camp. He can't miss that. This three weeks of camp strudel - no problem with him missing that, especially with what I see happening so far in camp.

And if he hasn't played a lick of soccer in between, then I most likely save him as a supersub. Bring him on for the last 20-30. With his fitness level I have no issues with him doing that, and he can run at some tired Hondurans.

By the March games I know whether or not he is playing in general, so we'll know by then what to do going forward.

20. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a humorous article but Jozy Altidore in 1st Class? I'm a bit skeptical.

22. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Berks repped this.
  23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I"m very happy to hear Omar is doing well so far and has the right attitude. Good for him.

Also thanks for the U20 info. I'd like to watch that if I can...

24. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Shea might be going to Stoke - meaning we could in the near future see Cameron and Shea playing on a backline together (he's apparently in the running to play LB). Good for the USMNT if he makes it (which I'm still 50/50 on).

Suddenly feeling the drainage of our young USMNT talent from MLS: Cameron, Shea, Agudelo, Zusi on trial, Gonzo soon.... are the days of becoming a feeder league starting to become reality?

In some ways that's a sign of progress - we need to keep filling the pipeline!