2013 UNC Tarheels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Portland Thorns FC in the National Women's Soccer League -- pro, not semi-pro. The Thorns will be affiliated with the MLS Portland Timbers via ownership and shared central office staff. They will have three USWNT players and two each from the Canadian and Mexican national teams, plus others. The NWSL has the support of the three national soccer federations. If Cindy is up to it, this could be a really fantastic opportunity for her here, where we have some of the best fan support for women's soccer anywhere.

[​IMG]

2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I, for one, think that Cindy will be quite up to the challenge. My understanding that beyond the technical and tactical aspects of the game (of which there is no question she has mastered) she has a feel for the emotional (and perhaps the more female) make-up of the team. I think that she will be a great success!

Also, reading between the lines, I have had the impression that AD has been grooming her as a coach. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her return to UNC as an associate head coach (depending on what Ducar wants to do) upon AD's impending retirement in about 3 or 4 years.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  4. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    While she was outstanding as a D-II player for GCU, she didn't have the aggressiveness needed to off-set her height (5'3") to compete at the top D-I level. She payed more at the beginning of the season for UNC, but didn't get but a few minutes per game as the season wore on. She is a solid and reliable player and so could be put in without fear of a big gaff, but was not as creative as she might have been in order to command more PT.

She is fairly strong technically, with adequate speed, a decent understanding of tactics, and a good work rate and attitude. She probably could start on all but the top 25, or so, D-1 teams, if that tells you what you want to know. She will likely start on the Serbia WNT.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Green
    Morris-Dunn-Ohai
    Boyles-Bowen
    Gardner-Ball-Brigman-Murray
    Haeberlin

Yes, this is the year he moves the offense into the 21st century.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks.

7. ganoave

ganoave New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    why did that post about a 2013 recruit get deleted. its an interesting (if not saddening) perspective.

8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    As far as I can tell, no posts on this thread have been deleted. Consequently, I do not know who or what you are talking about.

9. ganoave

ganoave New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It was only up for a few hours. It was about a 2013 recruit who committed to UNC, met and exceeded admissions standards but was just recently denied admission. The player's mother believes its due to their socio-economic status (she would need almost a full ride which would require aid that is not just athletic money) despite her extensive soccer resume. The story is made sad by the fact that the player found about her UNC denial around the same time her little brother died a few weeks ago

10. ganoave

ganoave New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I also want to add that it was a very, very gracious post towards the team. And repeatedly affirmed the family's continued support for the team despite their disappointment/heartbreak

11. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    There was a post up around 2:00 that made some interesting/concerning points about the UNC-CH's administrative process on athletic admissions. Unfortunately, it also included a great deal of personal (identifiable) detail on a youth player. While the post was flattering (overall) to the UNC program, and was put up by a parent, seemingly with the best of intentions-- it did seem to have been posted in haste, and to contain too much personal information about the player.

I, for one, am glad it was taken down. I hope my current post will be as well.

I think the original (parent) poster raises some interesting and concerning questions, but if they are to be discussed in this pseudo-public forum, IMO we need to start over-- purge several of the above posts, including this one, and begin again in a context that is less likely to impact the privacy of any particular youth player.

... Cheers! and happy New Year to all!

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe the concern was that it wasnt verifiable. Or that this was the only post from someone with April 1 as their join date.

13. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As UNC4EVER noted, the post was highly detailed and it contained info that sometimes is best not posted on a public message board. I won't be removing the posts discussing this action it as it seems to be a topic that posters want to discuss.

If the thread regulars would like, I can move them to a new thread to the topic of college recruiting.

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Nah, that won't be necessary as far as I am concerned. I took down the two posts that I have put up after reading UNC4EVER's concerns. If we want to, we can always PM with each other about it.

Thanks.

15. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
  16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
  17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    2013 Redshirts

A very small 2014 class, and a plethora of untested freshmen coming in, a huge 2012 on the field and stellar seniors. All this adds up in my mind to a bunch of redshirts for next year....kinda like evening out the numbers and making the 2014 class larger. What do the rest of you UNC savants think?

It won't be known exactly who will not appear until 2014 until the coaching staff sees how spring and fall practices go right up to the first game or two. Y'gotta see who shows well in training and who needs more work, and who the natural leaders are -not only from the 2013 class, but who steps up from the 2012s or 2011s.

I see three or four postponed a year to swell the 2014 class. Barring being selected by virtue of an injury, I think that O'Halloran, Worth, Firstenberg, Rooney, and Bill are all candidates. (Bill is a special case in that she was primarily recruited to UNC as a lacrosse player. She may end up deciding that one sport is enough. On the other hand she may shock me and choose soccer!)

I would have mentioned Darcy McFarlane too, but I suspect that she and her sister Kelly will want to play on the same pitch together in college for at least one year, and the staff may oblige.

Thoughts?

18. Goal4me

Goal4me New Member

Jul 19, 2007

19. Goal4me

Goal4me New Member

Jul 19, 2007

20. Goal4me

Goal4me New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Truth be told on Bartok,
    Brittani Bartok is the creative mind behind both the team twitter account and the YouTube account as well. She has a great sense of humor and a true talent for developing,filming and editing the video she records. She has been producing videos for some time now but only in the last couple of years has she posted them for public consumption. Before that it was only for the enjoyment of the players staff and parents. I've been able to see a number of her creations in years past at team functions. She also has a personal twitter account @BrittaniBartok where you can see more of her quick unregulated wit.I can also report that Brittani will be back for the 2013 season resuming her role as Coach and Social media wiz kid.

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks, Goal4me, for clarifying this. It is what I had assumed all along reading between the lines looking from the outside. And I am pleased that Brittani will be around for another year yet. At some point she'll age out with regard to being "one of the girls", but at that time perhaps they'll be able to identify someone else to fill her role.

22. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Two defenders from the class of 2015 commit: Kate Morris of the Michigan Hawks and Julia Ashley of Match Fit Chelsea in NJ, both highly rated for now at their position. Profiles on topdrawersoccer.com.

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
  24. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Good interview, and a relief to hear Anson plans to stay put with the Tar Heels. Speaking of nWSL and Portland, cindy is putting together a great team...saw they picked up Allie Long who has been still thriving in a central midfield role. But Christine Sinclair and Alex Morgan? Tobin Heath and Karina LeBlanc? Awesome nucleus.