2013 U20 World Cup Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that we only took 20 players to qualifying, so we get to add a player. Normally that would be the boring non-event of choosing a third keeper, but because we anticipated that Cropper would leave after the QF, we had three GKs in qualifying and so now we get to add a field player.

I don't think we should keep a lumbering CB like Torre as LB depth around unless we absolutely have to, and I don't think we have to. That extra spot gives us some breathing space and I believe there's more room on the roster than you think. Here's a hypothetical roster, with Brooks included to maximize hypothetical roster squeeze.

GK: (3) Cropper, McIntosh, Steffen

DF: (5) Yedlin, Brooks, O'Neill, Stanko, Ocegueda

CM: (4) Lopez, Trapp, Gil, Serna

Wing attack: (4) Villarreal, Joya, Cuevas, Garcia

CF: (2)McBean, Rodriguez

[I've only listed 18 so far.]

Serna can provide cover at fullback. Joya, O'Neill, and Stanko can provide cover at various CM positions.

Add Miller or Okwuonu or Acosta or Sorto as fullback depth. Add another attacker of your choice (Salgado, Morris, or Pineda perhaps). For the 21st player, there isn't even a desperate need. You add a guy who gives you a different look, or you add a player to supplement depth somewhere. Maybe even Torre himself; cover at CB if Stanko is pulled into the midfield, and emergency cover at LB.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    As a goalkeeper. That's Keller's pose from a famous photo set.

3. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    For who? I only know the sounders intimately, but they definitely only play pro teams.

4. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    It would absolutely blow my mind if Okwuonu made it over Serna or Miller or Sorto. It seems pretty obvious to me that he's no longer in the U20 plans. Again, there's literally no scenario I can think of where he wouldn't be able to make the camp (except injury) so it seems as if he wasn't called in.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okwuonu would not be my choice, but after watching the U-20s closely for a number of cycles I have a healthy level of respect for the inertia of career YNTers (see, I've just teed up Sandon Mibut to break out his "Bloggin' Jules Valentin" nickname!). I agree with you that Okwuonu's omission from the current U-20 camp is telling provided that he's not injured, but I never say never.

If I had to guess who the primary reserve fullback will be, I would go with Eric Miller. His injuries reduced him to a fringe player at the qualifying tournament, but my hunch is that Ramos would have otherwise handed him a more significant role. If not him, I think Kellyn Acosta has a small but real shot as a dark horse.

6. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Totally agree on Miller. It's either Sorto or Yedlin and Miller because he can play RB, CB, and, in a pinch, DM (which he played this year at Creighton). I personally think he was the starter for qualifying if he hadn't picked up that knock.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    If Yedlin is not starting* somebody ought to slap Tab Ramos in the face.
    *Unless he is held back by Sounders/injured.

8. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Or keeps getting beaten down the left flank by speedsters like Jordan Morris. :p

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Its funny theres not alot of hype around this squad compared to some in years past but this is (on paper) our best squad in a long time. We have possibly 3 guys* that are MLS starters and 2 more** that get regular action. AAnd the possibility of a 2.Bundesliga starter.*** I'm not goign to bother looking it up but our past several U-20's have have not had several players getting this many first team minutes.

Gil
    McBean
    Yedlin
    Villareal
    O'Neill
    JABrooks

10. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Guess I was right about Tab not rating him. We will agree to disagree, I suppose.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am shocked at this.

How can he just not rate McBean at all?

McBean starts for the best team in the MLS at 18.

I don't understand how Ramos will call in mediocre strikers like Rodriguez and Brandon Allen, but won't call in a starter for the best team in the MLS at 18 years old.

We don't have Ronaldo and Messi at striker, I just understand how McBean could not be seen as one of the 4-5 best strikers.

I know someone will respond that McBean doesn't fit the formation that Ramos wants to play. Well, I present you Brandon Allen. He is also a target forward. If he fits Ramos' formation, so does McBean.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Allen played as a winger under Ramos.

14. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Allen isn't really a target forward, though. He's a work rate guy who presses the opposing backline, drifts outside, and can hold the ball up if it's played to his feet. He doesn't have much aerial ability, which to me is a critical part of the target forward player type. My point being that he and McBean have somewhat different playing styles.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Even if that is true, how can you not rate a striker that is most likely your best option at the moment?

We aren't Brazil, how can you just ignore your best options?

I think we are all in agreement that McBean and Villareal are our two best strikers. Seems like its purely for tactical reasons why McBean isn't rated by Ramos.

16. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    We are?

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Unless you are a fan of Mario Rodriguez who can't even get playing time at his club, Brandon Allen who is stuck playing against college kids or Kiessewetter who seems so average.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I can understand maybe McBean not starting. But to say he's not in the top 5-6 forwards is beyond retarded.

Especially when you have the opportunity to piggyback off the chemistry that McBean and Villarreal have at club level.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    I think people could reasonably argue that Pineda, Cuevas, or Salgado are better than and project higher than McBean as attackers. Plus Villarreal and McBean aren't even the same type of player so I don't know why you would compare them.

I'm impressed by McBean, but I don't think it's so obvious that he's better than the US' other attacking options. He's also not as versatile as the others, which is an important consideration on a limited roster. McBean can play pretty much one position and that's it.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't consider Cuevas to be a striker, more of a speedy winger.

I don't really see what other see in Pineda. He hasn't even appeared yet for Chicago, almost three years into signing with them. That is telling, IMO.

Salgado could end up being the best striker, but he has been injured for a while. I want to see him fully recover from his injury and get some playing time before I declare him to be the best U-20 striker in our player pool.

I don't think McBean is a special talent by any means, but he is doing very well at 18 years old with the best team in the MLS. McBean is getting playing time in a professional league right now, something these others guys are not getting, except Villarreal.

The versatility factor should not be an issue. You need to select your best players, plain and simple. The last few guys on your roster can be versatile players, but I don't think McBean should be left off the roster because he only can play one position. Is Yedlin or Ocegueda going to be left off the roster because they only play one position?

21. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Of course you should select your best players. But you seem to basing your argument on professional experience. Now he certainly has the most professional experience. Ramos mentioned off the top of his head that he had about 5-6 forwards that he rated higher than McBean. I'll play mind-reader and surmise he was referring to Villarreal, Garcia, Salgado, Cuevas, Pineda, and maybe Morris. It's not clearly 'obvious' McBean is better/more talented than those players. What I'm guessing is that Ramos prefers quicker, slighter, more technical players up front.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess we can just agree to disagree.

I think McBean has demonstrated that he is currently clearly better than all those guys you just named with the exception of Villlarreal, and Salgado when he fully recovers from his injury.

23. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm just saying I could see where Ramos is going with his thinking. Every fan is entitled to his/her own opinion/assessment on players. But when fans post stuff like "it's so obvious", I tend to push back against those kind of broad statements. It depends on what the coach is looking for. Perhaps McBean just doesn't fit into Tab's tactical strategy. The notion that there are not enough attacking spots on this roster for McBean is certainly not outrageous.

If you are interested in my personal opinion, gun to my head, Pineda vs. McBean...who do I pick? I'd pick Pineda in a heartbeat. But that's for FC Germerica. USsoccer United may see it differently.

Namdynamo and aw072760 repped this.
  24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yep, he wants quicker, more technical players. Jack just doesn't fit his style.

25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    I'm a little ambivalent about our U20 coach selecting players according to his personal style.

There's been a lot of lip service paid to developing a consistent US playing style, yet what we've actually seen are our U17 and U20 programs preferring vastly different types of player. Perhaps the whole "consistent style" thing was over-rated, though ...