2013 U20 World Cup Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Feb 26, 2013.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Not being a dick, but is this supposed to mean something?

2. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with that and wouldn't have picked him myself for the U-23s. As far as now goes? I think he's gotten strong enough to handle CF, which turned out to be a pretty big issue this cycle. If only he were 4 months younger.........

3. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Just thought the similarities were pretty funny and worth pointing out since we're still a good 20 months away from any official games for any YNT.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If we want and/or expect the U20 setup to be primarily if not entirely professional (which I supposed is a point for debate, but nevertheless seems to be the way of U.S. Soccer right now) we may as well get used to the pool having a heavy Liga MX influence for the next decade or so -- for the basic reason that no country, including the United States, employs more teenaged American players as professionals than Mexico.

That includes a great many players who, before they signed in Mexico, were not considered elite American prospects. (Yes, Gil is an "MLS guy" but he's also been considered one of the top prospects in his age group for at least half a decade. Same for Packwood and Pelosi. Cuevas? Not even a glimmer in the eye of U.S. Soccer before this U20 cycle began.) We could also discuss why that is, but that's well-trod ground by now.

Bottom line: Mexican teams have huge, fully funded youth setups that can (and need to) offer pro contracts to players in ways MLS teams can and do not. (And perhaps should not...)

Further, as we know too well Mexican YNTs stand to skim our pool of eligible players based in Mexico even more. If we assume they attract, conservatively, a quarter of the best Mexican-Americans playing in Mexico, that's still a meaningful number of players given the size of a U20 pool.

I can certainly see how marginal prospects with professional experience might make it into the U20 pool from Mexico; we've seen it happen with players in Europe and even the States, so why not Mexico too?

A bigger question might be how, and why, marginal players of any kind make it onto qualifying and WYC rosters. The obvious culprits are coaches' decisions, situational specifics that effect the player pool (injuries, dual nationals choosing other countries) and, of course, a continued problem developing and identifying the right players in the years leading up to and even during the U20 cycle.

There is no Mexican fairy dust any more than there is European or MLS or UCLA fairy dust. Still, to me, a focus on Mexico as a problem here, even as its clubs are offering full-time professional coaching and match play to dozens of our players at their expense seems like an unnecessary distraction from more fundamental issues.

5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

Also, even though Ramos preferred a more "Latin" playing style, he and the USSF actually stand to be criticized for failing to scout Yanks in Mexico. Regardless of whether Alonso Hernandez pans out, there was no good excuse for being unaware of him until so late in the cycle.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Excellent post and I agree with u.

My shots basically go towards the same people who would pimp any 3rd division Euro guy as being superior, and u know that wasn't that long ago either.

There are some now who do the same thing with regards to south of the border guys. Just hammering home, as u know I like to do, that they aren't salvation, or clearly superior either. Of course I want the broadest pool possible, just don't pander, swing the pendulum way to far in one direction (a US youth specialty over the years), and make assumptions.

I've beaten down many a little kid here who does this stuff over the years, and most see the light, John just happens to be the latest.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when Balerion could find him at the beginning of the cycle.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    His YA thread is almost three years old. We knew about him during his U17 cycle.

He's a funny one. I mean, how does U.S. Soccer not know about him?

Maybe they honestly didn't know, which is inexplicable -- surely, even if they don't read BigSoccer, an intern couldt just click on all the players in the Mexican Fed's database twice a year to look for American birthplaces? (I would do it for them, for free.) Maybe someone once knew and they dropped the handoff; Maybe Ramos and his staff didn't "read the briefing." Whatever the case ... sigh.

And yet, after all that, he turned out to be one of the most unexpected disappointments for me. Showed some ability, but nothing precocious, even by the standards of this pool. (Surprising for a guy getting first-team, first-division minutes at his age.) He also had obvious trouble getting on the same page as the rest of the team. I suppose at this age it really is a lot to ask for a guy to integrate himself so quickly.

Tom Collingsworth and Real Corona repped this.
  9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Still waiting on my finders fee.

EDIT: Sounds like DMN will do it free of charge. DMN, my man, you're just winning the race to the bottom!

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Dude, that ship sailed a decade ago -- pretty much since I started posting here (under my real name, at least).

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

...and that's my point. First team minutes in LigaMX doesn't mean as much as some think.

Remember when Gabe Ferrari was about to subbed into a Seria A match for Sampdoria? An injury stopped it, but man, that guy has gotta be to shelf. Uh huh.

Just doesn't work like that.

Actually have renewed faith in MLS. For all the myriad of issues and limitations, the guys who do get minutes really do have to have something.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me he showed some great signs early, got me excited, and proceeded to mediocre his way through the rest of his time on the field.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's DMN's own fault for overwhelming US Soccer's scant resources with his numerous YA threads. :ROFLMAO:

Hararea repped this.
  14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

The same is true of first-team minutes anywhere. Spector at Man United, Kirovski at Borussia Dortmund, Feilhaber at Hamburg, etc.

You give a player chances to make the leap, and the more promise they show, the more patience you give them. But at the end of the day, most will fall short.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Oh, I get your point. I just think you're making a leap that' s much bigger than the data, which is minimal.

Or maybe you just like winding people up. Whatever puts bubbles in your beer, man!

16. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Sanchez, Garcia, and Acosta post U20 interviews