2013 U-20 World Cup Qualifying Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Apr 7, 2011.

1. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: 2013 U-20 World Cup Roster Thread

You never know what can happen in two years. From the U-17's I like Kellen Gulley, Acosta and Mobi Fehr. Fehr I think could start or see a lot of PT.

If I were to rate the best players on the squad right now it would be:

Gil
    Renken
    Salgado
    Nichloas Gaitan
    Fabian Huerzeler
    Packwood
    Zach Pfeffer

not sure about the rest of the guys in Germany until I see them

2. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta

Essentially, if you compare this to where we were in 2009 at this time with that U-20 team...this looks a lot better.

Especially considering you can already draw up a good back line out of pros, you have a core in the midfield of talented players you can build around over the cycle, and a striker with size and skill who can also play a large part.

3. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Remember hwo everyone was bashing the u17 team for winning qualifying whilst not playing great? Good times. Question Does K Hoyos want to play for us or is he like his brother?

4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

Speaking of Ocegueda, here's an interview at http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=7589

5. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everything I am hearing about Luis Gil early this season is that he is on the brink. If he were not playing for Real Salt Lake, he would be getting big minutes on most other teams in the league.

6. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

I think Gil is the consensus best domestic player in his age group so he's probably as close to a lock as you can get.

7. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

The one time I saw him last year and recently I came away highly impressed. His first touch and passing is sublime to say the least. He connects on all his passes and i can't recall him losing the ball once...That's all i can say, I don't want to over-hype him.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

agreed. Is it possible for teams to loan players to other teams in MLS? :p
    for instance watching Vancouver yesterday i know they could benefit from Gil.

9. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Future lineup

GK Cropper

Ocegueda Packwood Brooks Potts

Gil Renken Fabian H

Salgado Oliver Koroma

That's if Rongen could use in his 4 3 3 if he is retained.

10. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar

As is becoming the norm for US teams, on paper the strength of this group is the midfield. Of course it's extremely early, but right now Gil - Renken - Hürzeler is very promising.

Up front might be a bit thin beyond Salgado, but two years is a long time in the youth world.

11. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar

While we would all love to see Gil getting first team action, I think at this stage it's more beneficial for him to remain in -- by far -- the best possible team in RSL. I say that as genuine neutral. Kreis isn't just a good coach, he has them playing the way that will benefit Gil the most. Possession, on the floor, passing. The added benefit of practicing alongside two of the best midfielders in MLS in Beckerman and Morales is huge. Not to mention being well away from the big city spotlight.

For a very long time, I would have always preferred a young US talent to go abroad as soon as possible. Strictly in terms of my own perception of the league, it speaks volumes that my position on that is changing somewhat.

Now, if Wenger is still interested when Gil turns 18...

12. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Goal.com just had an article interviewing the Sunil Gulati about the u-20 failure he didn't say either way that Rongen would be coming back but did say he won't judge a program after one game. He did praise his work in identifying players. Well see what happens.

The article did say the youth national teams need to play more competitive matches and less friendlies that better prepare you for that environment. I definitely agree with that, the Milk cup is simply not enough. The U-17's and U-20's need to be more involved tournaments and matchs that mean something.

When would this cycle next start?

13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know how many youth tournaments are available. In addition to the Milk Cup there was also the Copa Chivas, the Dallas Cup, the one in Holland, the one in Peru, the one in Atlanta.

That's six tournaments in a cycle that was just 15 months

There isn't going to be that many "meaningful" tournaments that you will be able to get professional players assembled for.

The more professional U20 players we have that are important to their clubs, the less amount of time the team will be together.

It can't start until after the U17 World Cup at the earliest.

The last cycle began in December 2009, but that was because both the U20 and U17 World Cups were unusually late.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a camp maybe in August. It will be much earlier than December. The program won't be inactive for nine months

14. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I was wrong

It looks like the first U20 camp of the 2013 cycle will be next month in France.

Rongen is coaching this camp

15. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are they playing against France? Do you think the roster will have top choice players like Hurzeler and Brooks, or will it looks more like the u18 rosters?

16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I were to GUESS I would say it would have guys like

Ocegueda
    Cunningham
    Cropper
    Packwood
    Gil
    Brooks
    Hurzeler

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

Since he's at Cologne instead of Bradenton, do you think Matthew Dunn could be called in? Unless the U-17's also have a tourney during that time.

Trophy Case mentioned that Renken could be called in as well.

18. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Renken maybe. But players with the U17 WC team probably won't join the U20s until after the WC.

Just a guess on my part

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Might as well get the ball rolling.

Seriously, Rongen's camp callups at the start of new cycles are always interesting. He'll uncover at least one player at this camp that I've never heard of.

20. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I agree about some of youth players staying state side. Gil is in a perfect place. This year Najar is fighting for PT after being one of the better players at DCU last year and even today Agudelo is not in the first 11. This is just an indication, to me, of the league getting deeper, and that a long with the reserve league being an added bonus.

Plus it's much easier to follow these guys when they're not YA's.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...and honestly, MLS has a higher motivation to develop American players than European clubs, where they are just another player. The better MLS gets, the better it is for our players.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Look for Brooks and Cunningham to get major minutes too, they both played alot against France. Cropper started and played the whole game in a tie too. Looks like a good foundation for 2013 and there is always kids who come out of nowwhere like Gatt and Doyle.

Do like the midfield of Hertzler, Renken, Gil, and throw in a Alejandro Guido. That's a solid midfield.

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

... and from all the domestic U18s, plying their trade in DAs and elsewhere, we should uncover a few more who will become U20 mainstays. I'm fairly certain that a few of those on the Lisbon Tournament roster will (beyond the '93s that we've discussed, like Gil) become U20 regulars.

25. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

A prospect to convince to join this team in 2013, would probably be Junior Ebot-Etchi. started racking up game-time with the Hertha Berlin U-17 this year as a 14-year old.