2013 Superdraft

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol- I think Ryan (tonhtubra?) corrected him in comments.

Have to say this was not as bad as I was expecting, some form of still need D-mids or Middies in general...o_O
    But obvious misses on last 2 Rapids pick ups.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair to Borg, Harbottle isn't official yet. Calderon is though.

3. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Superdraft to be streamed live online. First pick to be shown live on ESPN.

Starts at 10am MST on Thursday.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be pretty awesome. Ives had reported that the Rapids were really interested in Zimmerman. I just hope we don't do something stupid like trade away value to move up to #3 to snag him. If he's there, great, if not, Zavaleta probably fits as well, and would likely be available if Zimmerman were chosen earlier.

6. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was me.
    I did mention that it wasn't official, but I am starting to trust Bianchi's confirmations a bit more these days.

I don't know why they didn't have Bianchi create that preview. It is just way too difficult for someone unfamiliar with the team to have put that together.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was checking out Hooligan website and lots of talk there of trading #7 pick to Portland for allocation ~$150K per 2008 trade of same slot.

Then flipping that money to Rapids for JL.

I would take the #7 slot for JL straight up. Then nab both F/ CB help.

8. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who? FCD trading their #7 to Portland for allocation, then Portland just buying JL with no #7 pick in the deal? No me likey. I'd want that #7 pick in the deal. I don't know if we should trade JL, anyway. We have Thomas, and an unknown quantity in Pablo. Gonna need some CM's.

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am biased to trading him before we are stuck and he can't even make starting XI. We are rebuilding, a D-mid who turns 30 this year has more worth in trade then playing on field for me.

Ives Trade article
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/trade-rumors-beginning-to-swirl-as-mls-draft-approaches.html

JEFF LARENTOWICZ, Colorado Rapids
    Much like Kennedy, Larentowicz has been on the trade block for some time, but this is starting to feel like the week he makes a move. If your team is in dire need of some central midfield bite, and has a first-round pick or allocation money to deal, then Larentowicz can be yours.

22SteveD repped this.
  10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would rather get 1st rnd pick for him, top 10 hopefully.

11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve's Rapid big board, letting my success last year get to my head.;)

1) Walker Zimmerman CB (possible world class CB, can play RB as well)
    2) Eriq Zavaleta as a CB (Geoff Cameron 2.0)
    3) Kekuta Manneh F (kid is 18 and played real well at combine- definition of high risk/ reward, Probably not much help in 2013)
    4) Mikey Lopez CM (more then just a D-mid, only makes sense if JL is moved. Also O'Neil moves to CB)
    5) Jason Johnson F (left footed Omar Cummings 2.0, poor combine but dominate performance this year)

1 of these guys will be available at #6.

Toronto trades #3 pick, not to Rapids.

12. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the top of the draft sets up the Rapids at #6:

1)
    Farrell Everyone’s #1

2)
    Lopez/Alvarez Chivas USA Mexican American choice skews the draft.
    Lopez/Alvarez are good but neither is a #2

3)
    Bekker/Zimmerman Although they may like to take Zimmerman they must take
    Bekker, a Canadian – TFC must take now or never.

4)
    Zimmerman Bekker’s great camp shakes up options and makes Zimmerman
    available

5)
    Toss-up CB = Zavaleta, Forward Welshman (F/MF), Finley or Brown

6)
    Toss-up 2 of Zavaleta, Finley or Brown will be available as well as Powers & Manneh & one of these
    should become a Rapid.

Zavaleta is a CB. IU needed a forward and moved him where he performed well. Good for IU not so good for Zavaleta.
    Zavaleta may become a fair/good MLS forward but he has the potential to become a USMNT CB. Hopefully, that potential is nurtured not stymied.

Although I had hoped Bekker would fall to Rapids now that will not happen. TFC must select this Canadian now or never, he will not make it past other Canadian teams.. Also, he settled back to earth on Tuesday. Alternatives include Finley, Brown, Powers & Manneh.

a)
    Potential and need make Zavaleta Rapids choice. He is big, strong, reasonable fast, quick feet, good marker & tackler, technical and experienced,.
    b)
    Finley – Big, strong, savvy, good technically with excellent work rate. At striker, he is a Rapids need with a future.
    c)
    Brown - Big, strong, good technically with decent work rate. At striker, he, too, is a Rapids need with a future. Tuesday Brown featured at both R & L wing. In wide positions his assets of size & strength were nullified.
    d)
    Powers - strong, savvy, good technically with good work rate & decent speed. Lotsa youth international experience. Moreover, he has been a winner at every level. As a “box to box” midfielder I see him as a needed link between Rivero & Thomas. BTW, he needs to be. In retrospect, I do favor Powers over Bekker, Lopez or Alvarez.
    e)
    Manneh continues to improve his draft stock with very clever and technical play. Not big like Finley & Brown he is strong, not easily push off the ball and very fast with quick feet & quick solutions.

Notes!
    Johnson has played himself out of the top 10. His GA status will help but he seems technically deficient. He is a young international – do MLS rules help or hurt?

Manneh has justified his GA status as a high schooler. His age is both an asset and an impediment. Also, He is a young international. Living in Dallas does he have a green card? He has uncanny savvy for a youngster but needs time to develop.

If Chivas USA policy of Mexican ancestry only prevails it will hurt them and be a continued source of embarrassment to MLS. Becoming homogenous will hurt Chivas USA competitively. Others will not concede good Mexican players to them so they will get whatever remains!

BeTheRed, tonhtubra and Totoro repped this.
  13. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the report Marx. Perhaps you were planning on writing about this later, but who are some defenders (or other positions, but defense should be priority I would think) that could be smart pickups at #25 and 30 in your eyes.

14. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beyond top 15 players the choices become very murky. Having said that here is my assessment of Defenders and possible ones available to Rapids. Ideally, the Rapids trade Larentowicz plus, whom they seem desperate to move, and add a high draft spot allowing them to select Zavaleta or Walker Zimmerman. Players available for Rapids in bold. Here is my assessment:

CB
    #1 Farrell Selected #1
    #2 Zavaleta Selected # 5 or #6
    #3 Walker Zimmerman Selected #3-#5 I have never seen him, he was not at combine.
    #3 Tucker-Gangnes Selected top 15
    #4 Opare Selected top 25 Calm, Big, Strong & Fast – If available - Rapids #25
    #5 Muller Available to Rapids A solid tactical player – At 5’11” a little short

LFB Drafted fullbacks have a poor history for producing in MLS. All LFB’s will be taken between #15 - # 30
    #1 Kemp
    #2 Kindle
    #3 Cochrane
    #4 Nealis
    #5 Gallagher
    Etuk Although a MF his sprightly play led combine to try him at FB on Tuesday. Likely Top #20 selection

RFB NONE

15. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midfielders at the 2013 Combine worth discussion. Players available for Rapids in bold. Here is my prioritized assessment:

Powers Top 10 selection
    Lopez Top 10 selection
    Bekker Top 10 selection
    Sterzer Top 15 selection
    Isern Should be Top 10 selection, however his age and foreign status (Spanish) drop his desirability. Ball winner, tactical smart gets him to the ball 1st.
    Smith May be the best athlete in the draft. Played well both Sunday & Tuesday which may have elevate him to Top 15 selection
    Alvarez Apparently, he is going to Chivas at #2 whereas I rate him #7 midfielder at Combine.
    Pinho Should be Top 20 selection, his young foreign status (Brazilian) may drop his desirability. Very good 1st touch and tactical sense. A tall player but maintains quickness and good speed. Gets forward well.
    Etuk Has clearly elevated his draft status with good performances highlighting his speed & quickness. Played both M & FB at Combine.
    Christianson Should be Top 15/20 selection. Big, strong, calm with good technique and tactical sense.
    Gomez His young foreign status (Mexican) may drop his desirability. Did not stand out at Combine.

16. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forwards at the 2013 Combine worth discussion. Players available for Rapids in bold. Bold & Red + #6 option only. Here is my prioritized assessment:

Manneh Top 10 selection. In spite of his youth he had a great Combine demonstrating high level technique and clever, savvy tactical sense. Very high ceiling but like all young players can they reach the stars. Needs time & patience to reach full potential, which MLS team is willing to allow this to happen?
    Finley Most MLS ready forward available. Big, strong and savvy. He has an outstanding work rate and uses his body to bruise defenders. Cannot be pushed around nor intimated.
    Brown Big, strong with good speed. Will not be pushed off the ball.
    Welshman Canadian had a very good Combine elevating his status. Likely a 1st rounder to one of the Canadian sides.
    Hurtado Not big but well built and strong. Decent speed could play striker or R wing.
    Pinho F/MF If not for his young foreign status he would go higher in draft.
    Sandoval Big, strong, good speed and a tireless worker. May become a hassle for CB’s
    Bates Big & strong was largely invisible during Combine
    Johnson Biggest disappointment at the Combine. Status fell from top 6 to top 20.
    Bennett Very fast, very quick slight body making no impact at Combine

17. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing connect the dots. With Hassli wanting out of TFC and MLSoccer ETR stating that there are lots of trades coming, maybe TFC trades one of their early picks for JL allowing the Rapids to pick up Zavaleta and Zimmerman? This gives TFC a proven MLS MF at less than DP salary and Colorado depth on the backline. Last piece is a DP forward once they announce New Belgium as the shirt sponsor (OK, last part is delusional/joking).

18. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, Ives is reporting a blockbuster deal for the #1 slot:

I'll be happier if we land another first round pick. But, kudos to the club for going after #1 and probably landing Zimmerman.

20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Ives story:

If they do succeed in landing the No. 1 overall pick, the Rapids are expected to select U.S. Under-20 national team defender Walker Zimmerman. Louisville defender Andrew Farrell is widely regarded as the top prospect in the draft, but sources have told SBI for some time that the Rapids prefer Zimmerman and have made it a point to try and secure his services.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Big development! I had a sneaky feeling something was going down. Nonetheless, I do not know much about Zimmerman aside from his U-20 status and that his name is synonymous with that squad.

I do have extensive knowledge of Andrew Ferrell if the Rapids go that way which I hope they do. He is ready to play right now. Having moved from Louisville to Denver 3 years ago and once upon a time coaching at his former youth club Louisville United '96, I have seen Andrew up close many, many times. Granted most of it was seen prior to college but his intelligence mixed with tidy ball skills and strength make him ready made for MLS. Andrew has a Micah Richards physique wth Puyol style passing. If he can make it half their success he will go far. My vote goes for Andrew. However, just reading a bit abiout Zimmerman, it seems his ceiling is just as high if not higher. So maybe the Rapids can't go wring with him. Who knows!

22. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It concerns me that the Rapids are considering trading an established MLS player for a draft pick in what is considered a weak draft class. I have no problem with the Rapids trading JL if they can get equal (or greater) value in return. If they do trade JL, they better get a a player who can start this year or next.

jayd8888, m vann, Quinn 33 and 2 others repped this.
  23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100%. These young players, while exciting, are an extraordinarily big risk. I worry that depth is going to become an enormous issue if (more like when) normal starters become injured.

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It depends on the draft pick, right? If it's a top 5, then they'd be expecting to get a Larentowicz level guy.

There's risk of the pick not panning out of course. So they're putting up the last 2 years or so of Larentowicz for the maybe a %67 chance * of getting a 22 yr old Larentowicz quality player.

*What is the success rate for a top pick lately? I don't really know if it's 33%, 50%, 75%...

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. I think it's a concern for all of us. I don't think the Oscar and the FO are finished tweeking the team. A greater concern is that time is ticking before preseason / season begins and we all know how crucial that time period is when integrating new players. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm not just looking at a bottomless pit.