2013 Superdraft

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of these 13 players only 2 stood out at Combine. They are Etuk & Schoenle.

Etuk for his quality. I thought that he had elevated his draft status with good performances highlighting his speed & quickness. He played both M & FB at the Combine.

Schoenle for his lack of quality. Either he or Nico Clavijo was the worst player at the Combine. Tall & skinny, Schoenle was a technical & a tactical disaster at the Combine. How Schoenle had been considered to be a top college CB either shocks me or confirms for me how few quality players participate in college soccer.

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United had HG rights to Etuk and decided against signing him, Don't think that bodes well for him.

Heres a list of "sleepers" left but I don't expect we will get more then 1-2 reserve guys who will probably be released after season. Only CB of note is Schoenle who is tall and thin and was pushed around at combine (Goodson anyone). Maybe if available we will role the dice.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...upplemental-draft:-ten-sleeper-picks_aid28362

4. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, if anyone's interested, the coverage of the Supplemental Draft is a complete clusterf*ck. MLS's live video keeps crapping out, the DraftTracker isn't updating, Ives has live commentary but the picks are happening so fast he can't keep up, bouncing from announcing pick #30 to pick #2 (seriously) - it's lunacy.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Brenton Griffiths, South Florida (#25 pick, posted before the 16-19th picks named on DraftTracker... of course). Jamaican youth international, Defender, #53 on TopDrawerSoccer's Draft Board. More from TopDrawer:

Numbers: 6-3/164, 36 games played, two goals, three assists
    Combine invite: Yes
    Rundown: The Jamaican youth international is an interesting prospect for the draft. He had good moments (and some bad) during his two-year stint with South Florida. Prior to that he was enrolled at Tyler Junior College, the soccer powerhouse in Texas. When he is on his game, he is a fluid center back that can shut down even the best attacking talent in college.

6. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ah, Rapids Twitter is much better: 2nd pick, MF Stefano Pinho from Fluminese, Brazil. 3rd pick, MF Machael David from UCSB.

7. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sounds like David was quite injury-prone in college. Had high potential going into college, but has only played 21 games in past two seasons, and did not perform well in combine.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with one pick left we have in camp:

GK: 5
    DF: 8
    MF: 17
    FW: 6

Considering our final roster should probably look something like 3-11-8-8 if we're playing a 4-3-3, we seem to have a balance issue...

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am guessing that some of those Midfielders are actual in camp for Wing/Forward, but who knows given the outstanding news coverage the Rapids enjoy.

10. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Last pick, D Marcello Castro of Sacred Heart.

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    knew I saw Pinho's name somewhere, nice work Marx! :thumbsup:

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, who threatened Ives. He is falling over himself to complement Rapids.

[​IMG]

Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves
    [​IMG]
    Really like Colorado's haul today (Brenton Griffiths, Stefano Pinho, Machael David), good follow-up to a great draft.

RapidStorm and BYLRPhil repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So at the end of the drafts:

GK: 5
    DF: 9
    MF: 17
    FW: 6

14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to the MLS Soccer broadcast, they said he was also being looked at as a RB which is where they think Colorado will play him

15. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully from Ives mouth to God's ear, although typically I have little faith in Ives commentary.

If 1 of these guys stick it will have been a very good day. I expect Pinho to be that guy. Any others would be a gift!

IMO, Pinho would have gone much higher if he were not an International selection, nevertheless, he is a fast, technical player who could make the Rapids roster at RM. IMO, he is a better player than Cascio with more potential. He is better technically and much faster. Probably not as good a shooter.

David, I barely remember him so obviously he did not make an impact on me.

Additionally, Rapids choose 2 big CB's, which are Internationals for this reason making the roster will be very difficult. Hopefully, these guys are not the reason that the Rapids earlier passed on Zimmerman & Zavaleta.

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel slightly better about our defensive depth after today, but the quality of that depth is still a huge unknown.

The number of midfielders, however, is just plain absurd.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the interesting thing is that with no GK pick, one of Helmick, Irwin, or Mauer is likely to make the roster. Helmick was our last Supplemental Draft pick last year.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard some really, really nice things about Griffiths. He's supposedly big, strong, fast, very composed on the ball, and reads the game fairly well. Pretty raw but apparently has the tools to succeed with some seasoning. The problem........... He does take up an international spot. he's from Jamaica or T&T --- I can't remember. I'm sure that scared some teams away. Never hurts to bring him into camp and see what he has to offer. At best he makes the squad at worst the FO alerts USL or NASL clubs, he goes there develops and the Rapids keep tabs on him.

19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else thinking this supplemental drafting of international slot players is showing the FO has no other international targets this window? Man, this D could be even more "interesting" than last year.

Reserve game wise, with its playing time rules, could be complete shootouts with who we will have back there.

22SteveD repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well right now we have 6 signed internationals on the roster for 8 spots. We drafted 2 today, so that would fill us up,. but given the likely quality of the ones we drafted they aren't locks to make the roster. There's still room to bring in a big signing and not sign one of the two we drafted.

crazyjon85 and 22SteveD repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the quote, "dumpster diving for defenders?"

I hope not. I thought "the plan" we didn't see was that they had a big int'l DP defender to bring in.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not necessarily. Most of the time the Supplmental Draft picks are afterthoughts and few make it past preseason, let alone are signed. I view the supplemental drafting of an international as a back-up of a back-up plan. It may not necessarily fall in that order but if interest falls through on other international targets there's a guy in-house that you can have a further look at. A supplemental pick is really not an indication of much other than the fact the club wants a look and see at a player. If he pans out -- amazing --- if he doesn't it's no skin off anyone's back.

23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    If we play a 4 - 3 - 3 with the ball (and when it is 0 - 0 or we're behind) and when we don't have the ball or do have a lead play more like a 4 - 5 - 1, then the midfielder depth makes a little more sense. Besides what was said above about some of those mids lining up at forward, there also could be some that end up as defenders -- especially if there are injuries that impact our 'one atom thick film' depth back there.

24. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of the 4 players drafted today are Internationals. CB's Griffiths Jamaican & Castro Brazilian; LM Pinho Brazilian. Are any of the 3 green card holders or do each & any of the 3 require international roster spots (which I believe).

Either a currently rostered International gets fired or, at least, one of our new draftees does. If, indeed, Rapids are pursuing an International DP 2 or more then we fire a rostered player or at least 2 of our 3 aspirants!

Indeed, few drafted players make rosters whether SuperDraft or Supplemental Draft, however, Internationals typically fall to the Supplemental Draft due to their International status. Therefore, these players although chosen in the Supplemental Draft may be much better players than their draft position would indicate.

25. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Seems like we're taking the "Barcelona" model to heart - stockpile midfielders, play them at CB and FW in a 4-6-0 formation.