2013 Schedule

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by djtrinidad, Jan 9, 2013.

1. soccerisit

soccerisit Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can't wait for 3.16.13 ready for kickoff

2. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Those are the only games listed as televised on the Crew website. Anyone else concerned about FSO not being listed yet?

3. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why FSO would drop the Crew since they now have two tv stations in Ohio.... Or are they shutting down STO? Seems like they would want more programming and not less.

Another question for me is did the Crew sign any contract with FSO or is this just a season by season thing?

4. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think that this is just a scheduling thing, the FSO people probably have to decide what gets carried when on both networks.

Skeleton Crew repped this.
  5. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd bet on the Cal game being a 7-8 pm kickoff, since it's on the west coast.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, some numbers on the schedule:

Eastern Conference Opponents
    A. We play 3 times: 2 H, 1 A = NY, Chicago, HOU, and NE
    B. We play 3 times: 1 H, 2 A = KC, Mon, TFC
    C. We only play twice = DC, Philly

We don't have 2 away games at either of the places we struggle at the most (DC and Chicago). We get the Fire twice at home, along with NE (very winnable 2 games there), and HOU (whom we may be battling with for a PO spot if all goes well). The way NY destroyed us last year, I hate seeing them twice at home, but better than twice on the road. We play pretty well @KC for some reason, and if we have to play 2 road games against someone in the East, TFC and Montreal would be my first choices. Pretty kind here.

Western Conference Foes
    A. Home: San Jose, Seattle, Colorado, Portland
    B. Away: RSL, LA, Van, FCD, CHV

We avoid playing Seattle and Portland away (nasty crowd + nasty turf). We don't have to go to Colorado. The Dallas game is at the end of September when it won't be 100 degrees.

In my view, it's a pretty favorable schedule. I'd rather have a home game deficit against the West, and play MORE home games vs. the East, if the POs are going to be 5/Conference again. We are away heavy early, when the weather will stink. We only play two turf games (@Van, @NE). We avoid multiple away games at eastern conference houses of horrors (DC, Chicago) and we don't travel to Seattle or Colorado. We close with two games against NE. Much better than Fire/DC/NY.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have a myriad of options. The logical thing may be for FOX to take control of STO, but insert their own time-filler programming as needed, but continue to show Indians games, Browns coverage, HS coverage, and Bruce Drennan (at least until Drennan's contract is up.)

Call it FS Cleveland with FOX branding, but run it as close to current programming as possible.

The tricky part is the overlap. Reds, CBJ (later finish this year due to lockout), Indians, and Crew will all overlap for quite some time.

Reds season starts 4/1 and ends 9/29
    CBJ regular season ends 4/27
    Crew season starts 3/27 and ends 10/27
    Indians season starts 4/2 and ends 9/29

Hopefully, "your" provider will utilize overflow channels. Obviously, Cleveland baseball games wouldn't be seen in some parts of Ohio, whereas Reds games wouldn't be seen in other parts of Ohio. Crew and CBJ games would be the only teams with state-wide availability.

The key word here is "availability" which, as we know, does not translate into "will be seen live." If your provider doesn't have enough channels, I can see teams falling quite far down the food chain.

HOPEFULLY... FOX will keep STO active in some capacity AND providers will use alternate channels to show other games live.

8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... I can't imagine that Fox would dump out Crew coverage after only one season.

I'm assuming Fox Sports Ohio has the Crew until I hear confirmation to the contrary.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can. Having the Indians is far more valuable. That being said, the Crew have some value, so I'm expecting them to keep the Crew but timeshift games on a regular basis. Get ready for the DVR to get a lot of use. Now that ONN is gone, the Crew have few options.

10. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Two months, bitches!!!!

11. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard that STO is staying for at least one more year. Also, don't forget the Cavs in Cleveland.

Here's the situation with early-season Crew broadcasts (no word on Indians/Reds Sprong Training broadcasts so I'm acting as if they aren't an issue for now)

3/2 @ Chivas USA - time TBD. but no FSO conflicts anyway
    3/9 @ Vancouver - time TBD, but Jackets @ 2:00 is only conflict that day (too early for Crew match, would be 11:00 AM kickoff in VAN)
    3/16 - Crewsmas vs. San Jose, 5:30 PM - Jackets at 7:00, Cavs at 8:30 (probably gets put on the FSO Cleveland feed - not STO, but the current Cleveland feed)
    Cleveland - Crew/Cavs on main feed, Jackets on alt feed
    Columbus/Cincinnati - reverse (Crew maybe on STO in order to ensure 100% availability in C-Bus, but then how to air the game in Cincinnati?)
    3/23 @ DC United, 3:30 PM - Blue Jackets at 8:00 only other FSO broadcast, so no conflicts
    4/6 - vs. Philadelphia Union, 5:00 PM - Reds @ 1:10 and Indians (time TBD, but would be on STO anyway), so no conflict
    4/13 @ Montreal - time TBD, Jackets @ 8:00, Reds @ 7:05 (Indians time TBD but, again, on STO anyways). A night game could be a nightmare here (Maybe the Crew on STO as the Indians will likely be a day game - first home Saturday usually is). If not:
    Cleveland - Jackets on FSO, Crew on alt feed (no problem here, but the rest of the state...
    Columbus - Jackets on FSO, Crew on alt feed, Reds on ?
    Cincinnati - Reds on FSO, Jackets on alt feed, Crew on ?
    4/20 @ Chicago Fire - 8:30 PM - Reds at 1:10 PM, Indians TBD (but on STO, anyways) so, no conflicts.
    4/27 - vs. D.C. United - 7:30 PM EDT - Jackets @ 7:00 PM, Reds @ 1:05 (Indians irrelevant to this discussion s on STO), Crew likely on Alt feed because of Blue Jackets finale

So, Crewsmas (and 4/13 if a night game) look to be the messes.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of you technical geniuses feel like explaining how to download a team schedule into an iPhone?

13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming iCal is the iPhone calendar app. If so, click on the little red and white icon next to each match. Sorry, no idea how to do it all at once.

http://www.thecrew.com/schedule

14. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 4/13 TV scheduling nightmare looks to have been ducked.

Kryptonite repped this.
  16. NSmith22

NSmith22 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this information sucks. Anyone else from Indy and have uverse? Thats the only way I was able to catch every Crew match. Channel 732 FSO and only a few times did I notice if a scheduling conflict happened I was able to watch the game on one of the alternate sports channels.

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By "ducked", I meant avoided.

18. NSmith22

NSmith22 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I accidently quoted the post instead of a quick post. I was just speaking on the subject in general of the possibility of FS dropping Crew games

19. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't really find a place for this and didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm curious if there are any particular watch places for away games that are good for families. I know the standards (particularly 4th street and wherever the official roving location is, etc.), but now that I have two young kids, that doesn't seem like the best option.

Are there any B-dubs (I know that will likely bring jeers) or Roosters locations that tend to get decent gatherings of crew fans?

20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    west ham, have you tried your house? If you have the MLS package fire up the grill, invite a few people over and make a night of it. I used to do that years ago and we always has a blast.

21. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Vs in Grandview try to get people (but not sure how many) in to watch away games and it's pretty family friendly but I would think Fado would have the biggest crowd outside of 4th Street and the official place.

22. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fado is the official place? I thought it was the "pub tour" they've been doing for the past few years. Then again, with young kids, that may not be the best idea.

I recommend puttputt's idea of a doubleheader, or even a tripleheader if the kids have the attention span. They could even go outside at halftime and kick a ball around if they're that age.