2013 San Jose Earthquakes preseason thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Is it really that difficult to get an up to date photo?

2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohh, squeeze lime juice into my, "what bugs me about the Quakes play" wound... ;)

3. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's cheaper then having to pay for a new photo with every story...

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, take that lime juice, and squeeze it on top of some spicy Caribbean food. You'll like it much better. Or squeeze a little lime juice into your Calistoga. (I can't get Calistoga up here, and it pains me.) And there are lots of alcoholic drinks that benefit from lime juice too.

The bottom line is that we all think we'd make a better coach than whoever our coach happens to be at any given moment, whether we admit to this or not. (I think that many of us could have done a better job in '09 and '11, but not '12.) So take a deep breath and relax. The Quakes will be good this year, and if not, I'll be screaming for Frank's head, again.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well crap DCU read my Chivas USA ethnic cleansing posts, they got Townshend on highway robbery, a 2014 2nd round pick. he was a top 5 pick last year. :( that was a fine deal there with a smart team taking advantage of a stupid team. they really are destined to be a bottom dweller the next 5 years at least

6. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, Zajic couldnt hurt as left back depth, maybe a supp pick for him. Burling and McKenzie wouldnt be terrible as depth either. Couldnt do any worse than Harden. this is good reliable MLS veteran experience

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know what to do with lime juice...

I thought you were pointing out a hypocrisy of mine, my relentless bitching about Busch whacking the ball up the field, when Frank might have been telling him he won't get desert unless he whacks it up the field.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone know where there is a like on MLS player rules?

I can't seem to find anything online.....

11. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    -___-

12. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    falvo repped this.
  13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But are you aware of all internet traditions?

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know, from what I saw of Townsend 2nd round pick sounds about right.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but the same reason Townshend didnt look good was the same reason Agudelo didnt; no midfield. Both those guys were on an island. I think he will prove useful with DC United. But i guess its not a huge deal given we are now stacked with forward options.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more impressed by Agudelo and Correa then Townsend. I didnt see anything in Townsend that made me think "first round pick". I could be wrong and Townsend could turn out to be a good player... but so could that second round pick. Or both could be out of the league in 3 years.

18. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    townsend did this to nick rimando:

19. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesnt impress me much, maybe when the league mandates 5'10" goalkeepers and makes climbing the backs of defenders legal we can give him a call.

For reference Fucito did this in a champions league match and was worth a 2nd round pick:

20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't thinking of you specifically. ;)

When Jon first started playing for us, he threw the ball out, rolled it out, made shorter, higher percentage passes. But as time wore on, he thumped it more. Even now, late in games, he tends to pass it out more usefully than just whacking it up field. I'm certain that this is a result of the coaches. Joe doesn't always whack the ball up field when he plays for another team. It's Frank.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends if Hernandez is playing or not. Jason has a tendency to pass back to Busch a lot, and he usually urges him to boot it away. I've noticed this many times. Ike wasn't much better. Hopefully we get a CB who can replace Hernandez and has the poise that Bernardez does.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We all know the rookies and/or draft picks and free agents will not be utilized. I don't think Frank & John really want to risk them. I'm looking at a season of veterans and maybe 1,2 or possibly 3 replacements from last year at most. Maybe Bryan Jordan as one of them but as a rule, I'm pretty sure they will start out anyway with the same core group of players who won the supporters shield. Also, I think Salinas and Mehdi will most likely share Dawkins spot if Simon doesn't come back.

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    You never know. Baca played a lot his first year, and would have played even a lot more if his visa thing had been worked out sooner. Ike did also his first hear before he got injured. Salinas had some starts his first year. Ring was an unusual case - almost like "red shirt freshman" because he was out all of 2009 with an injury. Don't remember what happened in 2010, but he got a number of starts in 2011. Anyway, bottom line if they are good, and they get a chance, they may stick for a number of starts. I could see it happening with Muller. Hernandez is relatively injury prone, so I think Muller will get his chance, though they may go to Ty Harden before him, at least initially. And of course there may be another center back signed before the season starts.

Garza, who I believe did not start any regular season games last season, seems to be actually the exception rather than the rule. The other recent "highest" draft picks have played more. I think even Ampai, who was pick #30-something played more than Garza did last your, in his first year. Of course the team was just better last year, so maybe it's more about that - a sign that the team is finally maturing and getting better, after 4 poor to fair years.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True although Baca with his visa notwithstanding, didn't start playing until July , 2011 during a losing year. No one knows anything about these newcomers but I can't really see them taking over the starters. Maybe in the future but not right away.