2013 Revolution Roster

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes please.

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Now that we've got Farrell, biggest question for me is what the midfield is going to look like, formation wise, and secondarily what we're going to do at GK.

Two rumors in the offseason have been: we're looking for a #10, and we're shopping Toja.

If the former is true, and we accept the eventual pairing of Sene-Bengtson up top, and Nguyen is starting on the left, then Cisse is probably in the Beckerman role, Simms drops to the bench, and we look something like RSL with a narrow diamond midfield. Only we trade Toja out for a speed threat on the other side.

The big unanswered question is what we'll do until Sene comes back. Stay with two up top? Drop Diego into a withdrawn role and play an empty bucket midfield? The acquisition or non-acquisition of a true #10 (like Portland's Valeri, for instance) is going to determine a lot this season in terms of how we play.

As for GK, I think we've seen some mistakes across the league--the carousel of GKs at RBNY is not what we want, bringing in a creaky old-timer is not what we want because we're trying to build a core, not make a one-year sprint for a title. I just don't think Shuttleworth is good enough. Dan Kennedy could give us five solid years, at least. Whoever we acquire, we need to be thinking of a 4-5 year "core"--so no 21-year-old projects or 39-year-old rentals. I think it's crucial we make the switchout at GK this year and part ways with Reis, so that starting next year (Heaps's 3rd), the team is more or less "set".

3. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I don't think this team is being built to be that rigid in formation. They have a number of players who are fairly flexible in all areas of attacking midfield. Rowe, Toja and Nguyen can all play centrally or wide on either side as attacking mids. Caldwell probably, too. Sene can play as a striker partner, a deeper forward, or even drift out wide. Diego could probably play any of the positions in a 3 man front line depending on whom he is surrounded by. Dorman, Simms and Cisse (maybe even McCarthy) are all fairly versatile central players, Simms maybe being the least versatile of the bunch. Smith and Guy are possibly decent wide options.

I think there will be a lot of flexibility in system defending on who is available. I think style of play, and tactical implementation, will be much more important to the success of the team, than how they lineup on the field. They don't seem to have much in the way of players who can get up and down the line and whip in crosses. They seem to be building for a far more fluid buildup and possession retention style. So I think we will probably see things come down to matchups much of the time. The 4 players between Bengston and Cisse could be a large variety of diffierent styles, for different situations. Against teams that are strong centrally, they may look to play Dorman and Simms in to disrupt passing and mitigate losses in the middle. Against 4-4-2 teams they may play with 3 attacking midfielders to draw the opponents outside mids inside and deep into their own end. They may go straight up 4-4-2 with a bucket or diamond to play against teams that are weak in central defense..

They clearly have a lot of options, and I doubt they will be very rigid in formation. Otherwise, they wouldn't be selecting the types of players they seem to favor.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I don't know--to me, if the Revs do in fact get Julio dos Santos (below) or someone like him as their #10, it changes everything and he isn't a situational player, but someone we build the midfield around:

http://mlstransfers.blogspot.com/2013/01/revolution-tracking-south-american.html

RSL very clearly plays a fixed formation, and if one player is missing, they plug in another. Seattle got burned by trying to change its formation at LA in the playoffs and Sigi admitted as much.

5. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I completely agree that if they get a true 10 playmaker, then they will likely play a more fixed formation. The trouble is, as currently constituted, they probably couldn't and shouldn't.

RSL plugs peripheral players in and out, but when Morales is out, he switches to 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 all the time. The key for them is having Morales to stabilize the creativity centrally.

Seattle, under Schmidt, also changed their formation at the very end of the season. It wasn't as though they had been playing all year with a fluid system. Anytime you change tactics late in a season you are inviting trouble.

Of course, ideally, the Revs would have a set spine to their team. from the center backs through the middle and even up to the striker. The problem is that they have a lot of players who, at this point, seem very similar in quality, and no one that is a hands down true creator in the middle of the field. Who knows, maybe they sign someone, or maybe Rowe or Toja can fit the bill. I don't think either of them are really suited for that role week in and week out, which is why I think they will take it more situationally.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of today:
    • 23 players are believed to be under contract.
    • 18 players are believed to be signed to the senior roster. That would leave two open senior roster spots.
    • 5 players are believed to be signed to the off-budget roster. That would leave five open off-budget roster spots, although two will probably be left open to give the Revs an additional $75,000 in allocation money.
    • 7 International players are under contract, allowing the Revs to sign one more.
    • The Revs have the rights to nine players who are not under contract: Chad Barrett, Hunter Freeman, Donnie Smith, Luke Spencer, Luis Soffner, Jossimar Sanchez, Chris Thomas, Alex DeJohn, and Gabe Latigue.
    • My best guess puts the Revs under the salary cap by ~$900,000.

7. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: leaving two off budget slots open, I wonder if the deal with Rochester might force their hand to fill these last two slots.

8. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  9. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a riveting follow.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Lemieux@jeff_lemieux
    Head coach Jay Heaps reveals the #NERevs plan to carry a full 30-man roster in 2013. Carried between 26-28 for much of last season.

I did just ask Jeff if that 30 will include the players loaned to Rochester.

And the answer is, yes.

11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could always use more rivets! :p

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't Toja be our #10?

13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think he can be, but he has yet to be fit and healthy since joining the team. That's a concern.

14. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Toja could be a decent CAM. I personally think he is better when he drifts wide, but considering the type of players they may flank him with, that might not be a bad thing. If they happen to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation with Nguyen-Toja-Rowe, all three of them can interchange. Which provides a lot of flexibility, and disruption for defenses. My only concern is that none of them are great at truly creating something for other players while they are under pressure. Maybe collectively they can do it.

As I've said before, I think this team is going to be quite flexible. Autogolazzo pointed out how it could be a bad thing, and I think he could be right. But I also think it could be good if they can keep themselves organized.

15. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is it possible that if they sign Freeman, that Farrell plays DM, especially to start the year?

-------------Bengston---------------
    Nguyen-------Toja------------Rowe
    -----------Cisse--Farrell------------
    Alston-Soares-Goncalves-Freeman

I guess that all depends on how ready Farrell is. Idk, I'm bored lol

16. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    That's a logical lineup from what we've got, but look how slow that team is in attack.

Players that may be available include Miller Bolanos from CUSA and Dom Oduro from Chicago (in Rowe's spot).

This team still needs speed and Nyassi isn't quality enough to be a starter.

17. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How come with this team it always seems to be, "Speed, skill, durability - pick two"?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe something like this?
    -------------Bengston---------------
    Nguyen-------Toja------------Rowe
    -----------Cisse--Dorman------------
    Alston-Farrell-Goncalves-Freeman

Kraft Out and fknbuflobo repped this.
  19. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @jeff_lemieux

Please welcome the newest member of the #NERevs, F Matt Horth (@mhorth18) from the NASL's @ATLSilverbacks

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Speed is overrated

RevsFanDan repped this.
  21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Because this is MLS and those are the limitations of every player. That's why they are in this league and not a better one.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Suddenly we've got a lot of young forward candidates.

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't say a lot. One more than yesterday. Horth could be another Brett Schneider or another Felix Brilliant given Gordon College is around the same level. Right now he is a warm body that plays forward on the cheap. We needed depth up top and got one but we need more.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  24. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absofrickenlutely..!

Otherwise, Jamaica would be World Champs! =)

25. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't like Soares? I'm feeling a bit conflicted about the guy myself.