2013 Revolution Roster

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my profession, we extrapolate predictions based of previous experiences.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Forecasting/budgeting is very much based on this. The concept of not being able to judge till the results are in, makes no sense in my field, or many others.

Crooked repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Optimism has it's place, but it's more important to be able to say "I told you so". :)

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't remember anyone being vocal at the time that it wasn't a good signing. IIRC, he was scoring for Honduras and had a couple of nice goals at the Olympics, so I think I might have remembered a nay-sayer. Then again, I can't be arsed to look through all the old posts, so if LDD says so, I'll believe him.

Still, regardless of the outcome, Bengston is the type of signing we should be looking to make. Just because they haven't had a good track record, this actually looked like the kind of signing that might start to balance that out (even if it would take several years of 1-2 good signings to do that).

Yeah, I know the high-end contracts in the past were almost always guaranteed, and I would think that any DP contract would also be. If his agent didn't insist on it, he should be fired.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    George, you can accuse me of quibbling if you like - You wouldn't be the first. But in our profession, we address hypothetical problems all the time. We ask if there is a reasonable likelihood of a problem arising (for example, using clinical prediction rules such as the CHADS score), and ask how we can prevent the bad outcome from occurring.

It seems to me that the posters here are just taking the available evidence accumulated over years of observation, and making thoughtful, reasonable predictions.

RevsLiverpool, patfan1 and Crooked repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can be useful to use the hypothetical in forming an opinion but it is fallacious and unwise to trust any hypotheticals as a fact.

8. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF happened in this thread?

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doc that "disease" doesn't have to be terminal - if the revs go through a SKC-like transformation, it's very possible this club could be successful enough that those same fans no longer need to be treated for "opticalanalopathy".

Well said, Jon. Doc fails to acknowledge our hippocampus works when it comes to the evidence -years of recurring observations, trends and results that form the basis of these reasoned predictions. We remember.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we've actually hit over 500 posts. So I need to close this thread ...