[2013 Preseason Matchday 2] Union v Columbus Crew - Feb 13, 2013 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, our starters sat on the bench all game.

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking Hack is doing what most managers do in the preseason and that is experiment with lineups and player selections. I'm not so concerned about that since that is usually part of what a preseason is for. I am concerned, albiet, about deficiencies I perceive in the midfield which haven't really been addressed since 2010.

3. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately I was only able to witness the first goal, had work to do and got back to the stream at half. Completely missed the 2nd half. From the sounds of it, this game isn't worth watching a replay that is unless the paint has already dried......
    One sole positive is that the players that looked bad are generally our 3rd stringers (few exceptions like Hop) and several of them are destined for HCI or the ax to begin with. They looked bad against the crews equivalent so that does not bode well for our depth options. Glad McLuaghlin looked decent.

4. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were bound for HCI, then why did the coach even bother to play them? You would think that Hack would have at least been using this game to evaluate talent.

No, that's wrong. I have no idea what Hack is thinking at this point.

McLaughlin played less poorly than the others and showed some inclination for creativity, then Hack benched him.

5. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they are GOOD-TO-GO and clearly don't need to see another MINUTE of competition after their dominant performance against a USL Pro side.

Wait...

amusiccale, drewuke and Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    Has this team played one good game since Hack was made the permanent coach??!?!?!

Ruud11 repped this.
  7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final evaluation before cutting some guys? These are the team's depth options ... I can't think of one player out there today who should be a regular starter going forward, so maybe, just maybe, Hack & Co. are looking at who can probably cut it against MLS opposition, who are destined for a season at HCI, and who won't get a contract.

Frankly, I'd rather the coaching staff does this kind of ish in preseason, than in our first game of the season (see Sounders, Seattle - March 2010).

And let's not forget they're playing 3 games over 4 days ...

CyphaPSU, Doop and rupert010 repped this.
  8. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're trying to set a final roster, the players you need to look at are the guys on the end of the bench. Will Jack Mack and LeToux be on the roster on opening day? yes. Today's starters are the ones Hack needs to look at to see if he cuts them, send them to Harrisburg, or sit them on the bench in Philly.

He's thinking, "It's Wednesday. My starters just played 60 minutes on Saturday. I have another game on Friday AND another game on Saturday."

Is it really a surprise that we didn't see the starters?

Which would have been a bad move, if Hack's goal was to win this game. But makes more sense if Hack decided he'd seen enough out of McLaughlin and wanted him fresh for the next game, in two days.

rupert010 repped this.
  9. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union Unofficial Line-Up/Subs and Formations:

Line-Up/Subs
    Harrison (Konopka - 60) - Francis (Richards - 46), Schoenle, Jordan, Anding - Lahoud (Mendoza - 60), Okai (Vidal - 60), Fernandes (Torres - 72) - McLaughlin, Hoffman, Hoppenot (Hristov - 60)

Formations
    G - Harrison, Konopka (60)
    RB - Francis, McLaughlin (46)
    RCB - Schoenle
    LCB - Jordan
    LB - Anding, Richards (46)
    DM - Lahoud, Mendoza (60)
    CM - Okai, Vidal (60)
    AM - Fernandes, Torres (72)
    RF - McLaughlin, Hoppenot (46), Hristov (60)
    LF - Hoffman, Anding (46)
    S - Hoppenot, Hoffman (46)

10. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't Mess with Leo.............

11. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/ne...-watchful-eye-coaches-players-fight-contracts

Game report from the Union.

The system preached by the technical staff for the past few weeks has really been based on keeping the ball, holding serve on possession and creating chances.
    Was that the case in this match?
    “Unfortunately, no,” Hackworth said. “There were not a ton of positives, I thought we had a couple moments in the first half where we played well and created a couple of good chances off of those. And in the last 30 minutes Roger Torres came on and at least he was looking for the ball, but not a ton to take away from that game except as I said before that it’s a good evaluation tool and tells us a lot more about the guys we have in camp and where they stand.”
    One player who it appeared did well to help his cause was forward Leo Fernandes, who played close to 75 minutes in this match. Fernandes confidence has been evident in practice, particularly since scoring the equalizer in the Union’s preseason opener against Orlando City. In this match, the Union also introduced one of the latest trialists to join the team down in Florida in Bulgarian midfielder Georgi Hristov. Hristov entered the match in the 60th minute for midfielder Michael Lahoud.
    It’s back to the drawing board for the Union who including today will play three matches in a four day period. Up next is Montreal at EverBank Field in Jacksonville (7:30 p.m.) followed by the third group match of the Disney Pro Soccer Classic against Toronto FC (3 p.m., philadelphiaunion.com/live).

Expect to see the Union’s core group earn the start against Montreal as Hackworth mentioned a periodization plan that could find his regular starters play as much as 75 minutes in the match against the Impact.
    “This game today was about guys trying to make a mark and earning a contract,” said Union CEO and operating partner Nick Sakewicz. “For some of them it was good and for some of them it was not so good. This game for us today was about answering some questions – so I think a lot of questions got answered.”

12. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the Crew's report including box score:
    http://www.thecrew.com/news/2013/02/preseason-match-5-crew-4-philadelphia-0

SCORING SUMMARY
    CLB - Finley (Meram) 28'
    CLB - Finlay (Warzycha) 39'
    CLB - Finlay (Gaven) 50'
    CLB - Schoenfeld (Finlay) 53'
    DISCIPLINE SUMMARY
    PHI - Hoppenot (Caution) 44'
    LINEUPS
    Columbus Crew: Matt Lampson (Andy Gruenebaum, 61); Drew Beckie*(Josh Williams, 61), Eric Gehrig (Chad Marshall, 61), Kevan George (Gláuber, 61), Chad Barson (Tyson Wahl, 61); Ethan Finlay (Dominic Oduro, 61), Danny O'Rourke (Kyle Hyland**, 46; Agustín Viana, 61), Tony Tchani (Matías Sánchez, 61), Justin Meram (Ben Speas, 33; Federico Higuaín, 61); Konrad Warzycha**(Eddie Gaven, 46), Ryan Finley (Aaron Schoenfeld, 33; Jairo Arrieta, 61)
    Phiadelphia Union: Chase Harrison (Chris Konopka, 60): Shaun Francis** (Damani Richards**, 46), Eric Schoenle*, Don Anding*, Greg Jordan; Michael Lahoud (Georgi Hristov**, 60), Leo Fernandes*(Roger Torres, 73), Stephen Okai*(Alex Mendoza, 60), Antoine Hoppenot (Jordi Vidal**, 60); Chandler Hoffman, Jimmy McLaughlin
    *Draft pick **Trialist

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Sack needed to earn a contract. I'd have an easy answer,

BuddhaWake, UnionDues and SOwannaB repped this.
  14. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you.

CallMeMed and onehandedtyr repped this.
  15. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more bad performance, and I think the pessimists among us should just start wearing Sith avatars.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. OleySOB

OleySOB Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Was @ the game and it was terrible. The drop off from our starters to 2nd team is large. The starters put in a great practice on the 2nd field pre game, and they looked reallll good. Got to talk to most of the guys, had an extensive conversation with Parke, great guy, he is happy to be home. Le Toux was all smiles, Soumare and Casey as well all class acts.

Overheard they are being payed an appearance fee for this game vs Montreal in Jacksonville, that's why no one played today.

Doop repped this.
  17. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is annoying as we are heading to Orlando to see the game on Saturday. I was expecting that one to have starters. Anyone know how long it takes to get from Orlando to Jacksonville?

18. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its about a 2 hr drive.

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the case with all teams in MLS. It's an unfortunate consequence of a very restrictive salary cap.

20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that Columbus was also playing their 2nd team, and they were running circles around us.

21. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second half saw are second stringers come in against their first stringers. The team that started the game was largely our 3 string players. Not happy that they looked like crap but Hack had to see them in game action so he can make his decisions on the final roster.

Dills repped this.
  22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no question other MLS teams have done more with the salary cap in regards to building depth, the Union roster seems quite hollow compared to a number of other clubs. However, the league as a whole suffers from a more noticeable drop in talent as you go down each roster than probably many other leagues which lack salary structure restrictions. I think this is one of the reasons why MLS teams find it so difficult to beat Mexican clubs, who have deeper rosters and pockets, in the CCL.

23. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Finally got a good internet connection here in Orlando so I've only got a few things to say about the game on Wednesday.
    • Outside of Fernandes I really don't think anyone helped their stock that much. He looks like a decent player that could develop into a one of those starter/1st option off bench types in a couple years.
    • Chase was to blame entirely for the first(?) goal. He tried twice to kick a long high ball into a 20 mile an hour wind in less than a minute and it came right back down the defenses throat twice (with the second one leading to a goal).
    • Not sure Jordan is cut out for central defense. He had a few good plays(one was a nice job of tracking back on Arrietta) but largely looked out of sorts to me.
    • Jordi was non-existent in pretty much both games I've seen him in. Not worth wasting an international slot on him.
    • Hoppenot is still a one trick pony. He is great in a straight line running onto the ball, but is next to worthless when he is on it. He might make one nice move but his next either takes him out of a good position or it is long and he loses possession.
    • The personnel that we had on the field was ill suited to play the type of game that the coach wanted. So far Hackworth hasn't shown to me the ability to recognize what players need to play where or how to adjust his system in order to get the best out of his players. I know that people say it is only pre-season but his constant playing of players in their un-natural position instead of adjusting his formation to match the players he has.

R1PP and Phillyspur repped this.
  24. rupert010

rupert010 Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Gloucester Twp.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Good post. Fernandes definitely a bright spot in an otherwise ho-hum game. Also I apparently didn't see what others saw as far as McLaughlin, I didn't think he had much impact. Also also, and it might be because I'm a WV guy, but I think Jordan left Schoenle out to dry a few times by chasing the ball like a 4th grader, which in turn got Schoenle a lot of flak by virtue of proximity. I didn't think Jordan was a center back before the other day - I feel more sure now. Not that I don't like him or anything but I wonder if Hack was looking to gauge his versatility by playing him back there.

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though the Union propaganda machine touted him as the second coming of Brian Carroll, many/most of the times I've seen him play he's been used as a CB.