2013 Predictions

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Dec 27, 2012.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I can't predict how we will do until I know what Landon decides. Obv we will be a good team in any case, but his presence/absence is an very big factor in exactly how good we will be. One aspect of this is that Keano's expected # of goals for the upcoming season is probably 5 to 10 higher if Landon is on the field to provide him with service. Really, really hope Landon is with us on opening day!

The Cadaver repped this.
  2. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Godzilla still in Tokyo? Last time I heard he went up north.;)

3. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to be playing for the Supporter's Shield this year and worrying about that race in the final weeks rather than trying to make the playoffs. However, that may not be possible if we wait until summer to fill DB's spot and Donovan takes a few months to come back.

dashiel repped this.
  4. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one person picked a team in the West. The east still looks more uneven in quality this year while again the West looks stacked, so I would probably pick a team in the east as well...

The Cadaver repped this.
  8. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The joys of an unbalanced schedule.

That's why our two Shields are the only legitimate ones in the history of the league.

Remind me to care about the Shield again if the schedule ever gets balanced again. (Which, given travel times and economics is not really very likely I think.)

dashiel repped this.
  10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't usually make predictions. Partly out of respect for the Red Barber tradition. Partly because I don't want to use my head (at least on LAG games), I want to use my heart.

BUT, I will make one semi-prediction. Put it in the "I hope" category. I hope/think that this will be a big year for Sarvas. Barring injury, he will get more minutes (at least in the first half of the season), he and Juni have good chemistry, and he now knows the league and knows what to expect. Maybe even he has a better reading on the refs and will know not to cross the line into the card zone too often.

11. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berks repped this.
  12. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Have to admit, unhappy that I am about Donovan’s not being here on Sunday if he has rediscovered his passion for the game MLS could be in for a shock. I fully expect LD to take the all-time leading goal tally this season.

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Usually the 2nd season is when a quality foreign player really figures out MLS and shines...

I agree on this as well.

14. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we may have a tough time with the Shield due to Donovan being out and not having a 3rd DP until summer....although I wouldn't rule out a late run to it ala 2010. But it seems to me this team has a chance to be significantly better than last year by the end of the summer. Assume we get someone like Kaka or Lampard in the window----I think it's fair to say we can get someone as good as Beckham was the last year and at least have that be an even trade. Then you've got a defense that is actually healthy all year and has probably added Leonardo (plus a seasoned Meyer)....midfield is weaker early, but should be by summer with a DP added, and Juninho looks poised for a better year than last year, Sarvas will be in his second year in the system.....for strikers, when you have Donovan and Keane back, and then you have Zardes, Rugg, and Villareal and McBean instead of Buddle and Noonan.....Cudicini in for Saunders.....

On paper, that's a much better team than last year. On paper, that is a team built to cruise through the playoffs. We shall see what happens, injuries can always derail things and bad form does happen....but I think anyone picking against the Galaxy in the playoffs is a little bit nuts.

StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim L. predicts MLS pundits can kiss his behind...

"It astounds me that people don't understand the character and the commitment of our organization," said Leiweke. "We love being in that position, we love everyone underestimating us and last time that I checked, the most successful coach in this sport in this country is Bruce Arena and this team is the back to back champions. They can kiss my you know what...trust me when I tell you that the organization from Mr. [Phillip] Anschutz and AEG to Bruce Arena and Chris Klein, and to most importantly this team, we're committed to doing it again. We want everyone to look past us and we're going to continue to give this organization and [the fans] every resource necessary to create a team that one day they write books about."

16. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn that's a good quote.

Remember when we all hated Leiweke? Wasn't that long ago, back during the Yallop and Gullit eras. Seems a long time ago now. The moral: fans who have lived with losing for too long get really irrational and crazy.

17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think Leiweke has learned a lot as well since those days...

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's some passion we can all get behind. This organization may make mistakes, but we are in some glory days as fans right now.

StillKickin, TrickHog and Berks repped this.
  19. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love him.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I think Tim has matured as a soccer executive since then. He seems a bit more in tune with soccer, more at peace with the fans and more humble.

22. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This quote is so damn awesome

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Henry will ever win it. He just doesn't play enough games. And he has too many "lackadaisical" type performances for me, where he gets too frustrated with his teammates or whatever and just doesn't make an impact.

I definitely could see Keane winning it in a tight race over Landon. ;)

24. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supporter's Shield
    MLS Cup
    US Open Cup
    Champions League Champion

and end the year nicely with making it to the final of the FCWC

...yep, that'll do, that'll do

25. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we DO need to target the Shield this year because the fact is, we lucked out that Houston had a rough first part of the season too and had less points than us. Can't count on that this year, probably won't happen, and I REALLY like having the Final at home. In the crazy postseason the MLS brings us, playing that one-off game at home is a big advantage. Doesn't matter so much in the first part of the playoffs, but that final....it's just nice to be home, and nothing like being able to go to the game with a huge group of fans and friends.