2013 > Onward

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Crimen y Castigo, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still kinda new to the site so I don't really know how or even if I can, but I'd rep Crimen y Castigo if I could. :thumbsup:

On a different note, does anyone think Donovan hates all the attention given to Beckham? I was watching the MLS360 video (6:30 mark) and noticed that even though it was Becks' last game and he was getting toasted, no one said anything about/to Donovan. Why is that? Donovan is about to leave us (for whatever period of time) and it seems as though no one is applauding what he's done for this team, for this league, and for perception of American's in the sport all over the world.
    It's almost as if he's playing Robin to Beck's Batman.

Here's the MLS360:

Hachiko repped this.
  2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of Beckham and the Galaxy and it bothers me. If I was Donovan it would bug me a bit. Beckham played well but this playoffs was the Keane and Donovan show and they've been overshadowed.

To be fair though, if Donovan was more clear he'd be getting some publicity right now. Beckham is a superstar but even ESPN would be focusing on the Donovan story.

3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's just a huge number of ex-Galaxy players on that list. A who's who.

Califf done? I don't think he's good enough for our team, but he might get a gig somewhere.

CHV
    Juan Pablo Ángel
    Out of Contract
    CHV
    Peter Vagenas
    Out of Contract
    CHV
    Danny Califf
    Option Declined
    CHV
    Moreno, Alejandro
    Option Declined
    CLB
    Birchall, Chris
    Option Declined
    COL
    Marshall, Tyrone
    Out of Contract

DAL
    Hartman, Kevin
    Out of Contract
    LA
    Barrett, Chad
    Option Declined
    LA
    Boyens, Andrew
    Option Declined
    LA
    Jordan, Bryan
    Option Declined
    LA
    Nakazawa, Kyle
    Option Declined
    LA
    Noonan, Pat
    Option Declined
    LA
    Perk, Brian
    Option Declined
    MTL
    Gardner, Josh
    Option Declined
    MTL
    Thomas, Shavar
    Option Declined
    NY
    Gaudette, Bill
    Option Declined
    TOR
    Harden, Ty
    Option Declined
    VAN
    Thorrington, John
    Option Declined

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  4. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's because most people believe that there is no way he is done. Most people, including me, think he will be out of the game for at most 6 months but will eventually find his way back to the game. Now that might not be for the Galaxy but I do think he comes back. As Beckham said, he is a young man and still has at least until World Cup 2014 to give I would think.

Berks repped this.
  5. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Donovan was the one who started the “one more year” chant. Also keep in mind you’re watching a 2-3 minute clip of what was probably a much longer celebration.

6. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably nothing too important, but where's the proof Donovan started the chant?
    Btw, not trying to be rude.

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see it either - in fact, I didn't see him in the locker room revelry at all. I think it was the Helene Elliott article on the LA Times that said he seemed detached from the celebrations somewhat.

On the flip side, Omar never stopped smiling. And the stories about him dancing in the locker room naked are hilarious. What a great kid.

8. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really disheartening to see Donovan and his demeanor as of late. One of, if not my favorite players of all time and he deserves much more attention and praise than he receives now.

Agree about Omar. You can't not like that kid (unless you're a forward matching up against him) because he's seems to genuinely love the game and love his team. Really excited to see what the future holds for him.

Geneva repped this.
  9. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't make the claim, but I can confirm with my sources that Donovan did in fact start the "one more year" chant...
    Does anyone think we will renegotiate with Bryan Jordan. Does MLS allow to sign players and then loan them to a USL club? I think Jordan could be valuable down the road, but not playing reserve games...

Geneva repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd honestly rather give those minutes to a youth player with a future than Bryan Jordan.

Hachiko and Estiv-0 repped this.
  11. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed!
    Has there been any new developments on what's going on with the youth besides Villarreal and McBean? Any news on Zardes? Mendiola? Someone else of interest?

12. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I've always liked Marvell Wynne. Killed me when he would catch up and pass Donovan to win a ball. I don't know if he still has the speed he used to, but he'd be some decent depth too.

73Bruin repped this.
  13. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your next mission, should you accept it over the offseason, men of the Los Angeles Galaxy Football Club...

[​IMG]
    "ONE FOR THE THUMB"
    Defend the MLS Cup to give the Los Angeles Galaxy its fifth Major League Soccer championship, passing D.C. United and establishing its place as one of the all-time great clubs in American soccer.
    Accept Mission?
    Yes/No

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Would not surprise me if Bruce tried to pick up Marvell in the reentry draft (he played for Bruce in NY). With his speed, he would be a good replacement for Omar if it came to that. It looks like he was cut as part of a Rapids salary dump (he was making 250K).

FWIW, I can also see AJ moving out to right back (regardless if Omar stays or not) and Franklin moving to right mid on a full time basis.

15. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what I'm saying... but without full on releasing him. BJ6 needs minutes to, and reserve minutes aren't it and there aren't any first team minutes at the time. Can we sign him to a three year deal and then LOAN him to like a Puerto Rico Islanders or another USL squad? We have the rights but they pay him and he plays and develops...
    My original question was if this was even possible with MLS rules. If not, well then I guess we cut permanent ties with him.

16. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem with any of these Galaxy players on this list. Perk makes too money for his role on this team.

I looked at the entire list released. A couple of guys that stood out...

Marvell Wynne - CB (athletic CB that I'm sure every team is looking at, he also played at UCLA).
    Danny Califf - CB (veterin CB, could act in the Boyens role is he's retiring).
    Keven Hartman - GK (Could be a great back-up for us, something we didn't have last season).
    Ike Opara - CB (Same as Marvell Wynne, but much more injury prone).

17. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The released player list pretty much is exactly what I expected with two exceptions.

Is Lopes out of contract? How did he survive not being released?

Also, a bit surprised Keat's still with the team but maybe he was injured for the majority of the season so maybe he's shown well enough when healthy to be worth giving another year.

18. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My guess is that it isn't possible, or there is some salary cap disadvantage to doing this. The reason I don't think it is possible is that I haven't heard of other teams doing it.

Jimenez seemed to take Jordan's spot as backup RB, for better or worse. But it is also possible that Bruce is planning to move AJD to RB next year, in which case Jordan really wouldn't be needed. Though I can't see the team sitting Sean Franklin, so keep an eye on what happens with Willelmson and whether the Galaxy pick up the option on him. If they don't, the plan may be to move Franklin to Right Mid.

19. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take a team of the released players over Chivas USA....

Kilgore repped this.
  20. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Berks repped this.
  21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the pic Omar posted on twitter; I put it in the PBP thread. He is awesome!

Geneva repped this.
  22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw :-O this photo will go down in history, and the guys' reactions are just as funny.

StillKickin repped this.
  23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in the celebration video at MLS.com. He starts the chant when the camera pans over to him.

EDIT: Thanks Dashiel!

24. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never said to give him a DP contract. It'll be retire at Spurs or play a season or two with us. this pretty much comes down to someone convincing him and perhaps Becks established a buddy relationship with him while he was at Spurs

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan is a locker room player, guaranteed he is a big part in team chemistry which is why he is still around. Him and Perk i'm pretty sure will be renegotiated down to a lower price unless another team wants them for the price already