2013 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Via_Chicago, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No surprises.

falvo repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    For Corrales and Ike, I hope it's more like "not at your current salary" than a flat "no". For Gjertsen and Ward, I think it's just a "sorry, no" because I don't think their salaries were all that high anyway, and they were not able to contribute at all last year. Stephenson might also be in the "not at your current salary" camp but the gap between current salary and the level that they value him at this point may be too great for a deal to be made. Of course, he may not have a lot of options at this point.

ColinMcCarthy and bsman repped this.
  4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed for all of them. Ike can still be a solid contributor in this league, but his upside is not as big as we had initially hoped...

Corrales. If he retires, I'm fine with it. If he comes back at a lesser salary and is a backup, I'm fine with it.

Stephenson contributed to the success early in the season, but did almost nothing in the last part of the season. Frankly, I don't see him as a fit with the team and would prefer to go another direction with his salary.

5. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    According to Elliot Almond on twitter, Doyle says Corrales will be back with the Quakes next year but the other 4 will go into the re-entry draft. If nobody drafts them in the first phase (which requires paying them basically their current salary), then the Quakes can negotiate a new deal with any of these guys. Or, the players can choose to go into the second phase of the re-entry draft, hoping that another team will pay them more than the Quakes would. It's hard to see Ward or Gjertsen getting taken in the draft, but I could see teams taking either Khari or Ike in the second phase, hoping to sign them to a much lower deal.

Or, the Quakes could work out some kind of trade deal like they did last year with Convey. That trade happened after the players who were eligible for the re-entry draft were announced, but before the draft happened. Of course, with how poorly Convey worked out for KC, maybe other teams will be more wary of taking players the Quakes don't want!

6. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really good. It shows the coaches do understand their value and it give me a warm fuzzy that someone as talented as Ike or Ramiro is deemed expendable. This team should be even more talented next year.

nihon2000, Futbol_Head and markmcf8 repped this.
  7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm OK with Corrales coming back if it's in a limited, low paid, mostly ceremonial role. He just doesn't have it any more.

I hope that we do try to re-sign Ike, but at much lower pay.

The others can all go.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah no real surprises here. I could see TFC biting on Ike in the re-entry draft. He'd certainly start right away there no questions asked. And yes i think Corrales will be back at a lower rate......something tells me he wants to stick around til the stadium opens a-la Ching in Houston. Im fine with that as a bench guy and locker room guy, so long as hes not really considered a starter thats okay. I would like Ike back, but i think Toronto are going to snag him at current salary.

If Ike is snatched up, and he likely will be, we should be looking for one free agent and one of our draft picks addressing the other central defense spot to give competition for Hernendez

9. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    So since the Quakes announced the 5 players who did not have their options exercised, I assume that means that all other options have been exercised. If so, that means that guys like Ring, Ballouchy, Alexandre and Zayner all have been signed for next year. I call these guys out specifically because they all meet the requirements for getting guaranteed contracts, so once the team signs them their salaries are guaranteed for 2013. As a reminder, the rules are that any player who is at least 24 years old and has at least 3 years of MLS service has his contract guaranteed when it's signed.

So if this assumption is true, then at this point the Quakes have 21 players who are likely under contract for next year, and 3 others that seem likely to be back but have yet to sign new contracts:

GK: Busch*, Bingham, Newton
    D: Hernandez*, Bernardez, Morrow*, Zayner*
    M: Baca, Cronin*, Chavez*, Salinas*, Alexandre*, Ring*, Hustedt, Ballouchy*, Garza
    F: Wondo*, Lenhart*, Gordon*, Tracy, Pizarro

Hopefully back, but contract not signed yet: Beitashour*, Dawkins, Corrales*

I've asterisked the guys that would have guaranteed contracts, which addes up to 15 if you include Beitashour and Corrales.

10. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm surprised JMA wasn't cut. i guess he's cheap. i was not at all impressed with his few games this year. Ring is a much better CDM in my opinion. JMA seems redundant... he doesn't seem like he can play CB or CAM or second striker like people said when we first got him.

I was hoping Ike wouldn't graduate from GA but Elliott Almond just confirmed it in the Merc so I totally understand that decision. I could definitely see him turning into a great player if he stays clear of injuries and gets some more playing time. But we really don't have room to commit those kind of resources to a still developing player right now. We are in one of those windows where we want to win NOW, not develop young guys for next year, and it's hard to see Ike fitting into that picture at a 180k cap hit.

11. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I agree on Alexandre and Ring being fairly redundant, and the fact that neither of them got any real playing time this year would have indicated one or both would be gone. But the fact that they are signed for the minimum salary and they both have some MLS experience is probably what makes the team want them back. As you said, this is now a team that is more about "winning now" than developing a lot of young players, and with the CCL games next summer/fall, they will want experienced backups who can play either in MLS or CCL games to give other guys rest.

Of course, one or both of Ring may not be signed or may be on the table as trade bait, I'm just making a best guess based on what has been announced so far.

12. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Feel bad for Ike. His rookie year it looked like he was a future USMNT guy for sure -- maybe somebody who would be headed to a big European club at some point. All he needed was time to develop. The time he's lost with injuries seems to have really hamstrung his progress. Unfortunate.

ColinMcCarthy and Futbol_Head repped this.
  13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Surely Corrales is ripe for one of those Josh Wolff-style minimum vet salary/assistant coach roles.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ramiro Corrales doesn't return and Chris Wondolowski is officially promoted from Vice-Captain to Captain, it'll be interesting to see who becomes the team's new Vice-Captain.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Hadn't we all been calling this? Later Ike!
    For now, for his experience, I'd go with Jon Busch although I believe Jason Hernandez has been there longer.

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Not so fast, falvo fav. No one is going to pay his $180k or whatever GA inflated salary. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back with the Quaked at a significantly reduced salary.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would he play and/or settle for a 2009 Wondo like salary of $47k? I doubt it and I doubt he would want to take a huge pay cut.

18. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm guessing JHernandez, I'm pretty sure he was captain before.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed, but I am biased because of the players I've met, he's probably my favorite. Smart and articulate and just a really nice guy. But, yeah, I think he's been getting $200k, I doubt that will fly anywhere. He suffered from some pretty serious attention lapses during the games, but he's also a guy you can imagine getting his act together and becoming a key member of the defense.

20. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I would argue that point a bit, Baca is still our weakest link and finding a quality player to start in his place is paramount. He would make an admirable substitute however.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saw a bunch of free agents and college players out there yesterday scrimmaging 10 v 10 . Some good some looked like crap.

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  23. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we'll win some coin flips now!

24. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus lives... Thank You.

25. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And Busch will not need to start the game facing the sun any more.