2013 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Via_Chicago, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piss-on-you?

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that he's trying to measure (or judge?) effort, as opposed to achievement. He's rated us pretty lowly (last year), which I think skewed a lot more toward achievement (or lack thereof) and missed out of the massive efforts of our club to get the stadium deal done. So he credits us for the stadium deal now, but missed the massive effort (which is what he's trying to measure) that went into it in '11. The failure on the field of course was totally on us. Terrible signings like Zura, and Andre Luiz (who almost never played), the failure to make anything of Ramon Sanchez, the abject failures like Glinton, Kamara, Campos, Glen, Sealy, and more.

But, our owners brought our team back from the dead. They had to improve Buck Shaw just so we could play there. Then they made more improvements to Buck Shaw. We signed Hucks. We signed Geo (and failed to use him well). So there's been some up and down for sure. But the fact that it's really tough to get a stadium deal done in San Jose, and yet we've done it. That should count for a lot.

So in part, our improved "ambition rating" is based on our on field achievement, rather than our efforts.

I need to write him a letter about this. I like what he's trying to do, but I think he needs to tweak it a little bit. On the one hand, the GoatShaggers are terrible. On the other hand, Vergara had the cajones to buy the rest of the team, sack the coach and GM and bring in new people. That shows ambition. It shows effort. They might not achieve much, but these are moves that are probably necessary to improve the club. (I might have kept Robin Fraser and just spent more money on players.)

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

QuietType and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On a different topic, I learned today that Alaska flights from Portland offer priority boarding to Timbers fans. I understand Alaska is a sponsor, but shouldn't we get the same privileges at SJC?

4. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They should do the opposite - make people wearing a San Jose Earthquake jersey board last! That would be awesome.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Need an airline sponsor first - Jet Blue?

On the "ambition rankings" I would rank EQLLC #1 for trying to do the most for the least amount of money, and based on last year's results, succeeding :).

6. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaska Airlines also has a 737 with Timbers livery on it, i almost veered off 101 when i saw it last year taxing at SFO

[​IMG]

Ismitje repped this.
  7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of airports and the Earthquakes, I noticed while traveling over the holiday that terminal B at SJC has a gift store with a nice little selection of Quakes gear.:)

QuietType and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is cool, even if it is Timbers Logo...

9. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What's up with Dawkins? Why hasn't this deal been announced?

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!

But hey, this is extremely cool. Where in terminal B is this? I'm going to have to check it out next time I fly "home." Seriously, we've been needing this since at least '96. How did we manage this? Must be another coup for Team Kaval?

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was in terminal B this morning at 5:30, and I did not see any Earthquakes anything. Too bad, because I could have used a glimpse of something uplifting.

Alaska does promos during our games, so I assumed they were a generic MLS sponsor, not just a Timbers sponsor. I will trade my early boarding privileges for a custom Quakes plane. I might even be motivated to fly Alaska again.

12. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fly out of SJC every two weeks or so... Terminal A has two stores with Quakes gear, the one across from security prominently displayed in the front and center of the store (the other one is around the corner from security and was toward the back right). I hadn't noticed anything in Terminal B, but I usually park in A and walk through to B (easier security); Ii wouldn't surprise me if all of those type of stores had the same stuff in every terminal.

QuietType repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was one of the stores opposite the boarding gates. The store also carried stuff for the other sports teams, as well as SJSU. I asked the clerk how sales were, and she said ok, but, not great.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    For Quakes gear, I would expect it to get a lot better with the opening of the stadium, and possibly some kind of minor rebranding?

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd prefer a program offering season ticketholders the opportunity to purchase a seat on a Quakes chartered flight, and a room at the team hotel, to a designated away match each year. This is the way to build hard-core, organic support that will last well beyond when the new-stadium smell dissipates (or the airline sponsor merges into oblivion).

Allowing the Ultras (and Ultras-at-heart) to travel with the team to lend support during the 2013 CCL tournament would be a great place to give it a test drive.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO REBRANDING!!! We are one of the oldest and proudest clubs in MLS! NO Rebranding!! NO!

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!

- Mark

Earthshaker repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sigh...I wrote "minor" rebranding, like an updated crest, kit, etc., not a new name or new colors.

18. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't saying it doesn't happen. Players or coaches encouraging playing thru injuries happens all the time. I was saying it is BS and unethical to encourage a player to play injured for the good of the team.

That Phoenix suns article was terrific. Has anyone ever noticed how many trainers sit on the Galaxy bench during home games? I'm guessing they have at least 2-3 trainers out there.

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, one of them only had the job of massaging Beckham's ego.

Ismitje and markmcf8 repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Among other things......

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that characterizing a sports hernia as a muscle pull is not correct. A hernia is a protrusion of something through the wall that normally holds it in place. That's a lot more severe than a "muscle pull". Read these articles on webmd and wikipedia. Also note that besides symptoms and manipulation, a sports hernia is increasingly diagnosed with an MRI.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/tc/sports-hernia-topic-overview
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_pubalgia

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A sports hernia is not a true hernia (a hole in the muscle) -- it's a term that is used for any one of a constellation of injuries that can be as straightforward as an aggravated muscle pull. In which case rest, not surgery, is usually prescribed. Also, the recovery time from hernia surgery is about 2 weeks, much shorter than from surgery for athletic pubalgia, which seems to take 6 weeks or longer. (My oldest had a congenital inguinal hernia that was discovered at age 5; he was racing around again a few hours post-surgery.)

Some people think you can avoid sports hernias with proper stretching and other techniques, and that you should be able to treat most of them without surgery. Have our players had more surgeries than players on other teams?

Earthshaker repped this.
  23. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beita, Justin, and Wondo!

Nice to get callups during the off-season.

elvinjones and QuietType repped this.
  24. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats the thing we dont really know, MLS injury reporting isnt easy to track.

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO! None of that! We fought for our colors, our crest, our name, and our history! I do not want any further changes. If they make the blue jerseys primary, I'd be pumped, and I half expect that, but I don't want any further rebranding. We aren't a loaf of bread, we are a soccer club, and clubs have tradition.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark