2013 Off-Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Via_Chicago, Nov 9, 2012.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thx for the link. That sounds bad for both Gordo and Beita. Don't sport hernias end a lot of careers? I remember that black mid or forward we got from LA who I think had a double sport hernia. He never really recovered.

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sports hernias include a range of injuries, and lots of disagreement on how to treat them, apparently. Seems as though most people recover, but I guess a lot has to do with rehab and whether the athletes allow enough time for healing.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    glad yall are talking about El Muma, cuz he's come to Honduras with presents!!!

It seems the San Jose Earthquake's president/office have asked El Muma if he knows any player he can recommend to play at San Jose, and surely enough he delivered two names. He said he couldn't give out the names yet because San Jose told him not to. He says he's played with them on the National Team, and they are currently negotiating with their agents and getting their paperwork done so they can join San Jose, alls left is for the both parties to come to an agreement with San Jose.

Speculations: Johnny Leveron who refused to renew his contract with Motagua which is El Muma's old team. Leveron is a 22 yr old Centreback, whose in the same mold as El Muma.. big, strong, plays really aggressive and comes in hard.. but is also known for being pretty slow. He's already scored three times for the NT and appeared as a starter for the Olympic squad from their beginning campaign to their final game against Brazil in London.

the other player.. I'm not sure about, could be anyone.

http://diez.hn/Secciones/Legionario...jugadores-hondurenos-para-la-MLS#.UNoY7sUQZ2A

5. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They've been doing this for the past 2 season in Mexico. Johan cruyff is working for them, he brought in a Dutch manager.

6. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just like in their first year when they hired Hans Westerhof who refused to speak to the media....LOL!

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    elvinjones, QuietType and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had more players of the quality of Chavez and Bernardez, we would be in fat city, hog heaven, Supporters Shield Redux, MLS Cup, and maybe even the newspapers!

QuietType, markmcf8 and leocal repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another interesting comical thread....:rolleyes:

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

Good information, thank you. :) I like his age, the strength and agression are perfect as they fit the Muma mold, as for the speed, Bernardez doesn't exactly burn up the pitch, if Leveron could keep pace with him we'd do just fine.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With Brian McBride as his coach!:) But why is it always in the future?

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Makes sense. If you've dug and hit a vein, might as well keep digging in the same spot. And it's good that that FO is trying to push the "character / locker room" thing through Muma.

That said, I'm not too keen on "pretty slow" defenders, especially when paired with Muma, who can move once he gets going, but is not all that quick with the "get going" part. Depends on what kind of "pretty slow" the guy is. If it's raw foot speed, may be OK if he has quick reactions and recovery. From the pictures I've seen of Leveron, he doesn't look all that big and strong. Here he's trying to make himself look as big as possible :--), but looks average size, and an almost wimpy upper body, though stout lower body.

[​IMG]

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on board with this. We had a pretty good player from Central America a while back in Ronald Cerritos. Central Americans have a pretty good track record in MLS. So yeah, if El Muma, or Chavez know of any good players back home, let's take a look! (And the team chemistry thing is critical too.)

And there's that news about our team adding some serious quality to satisfy the hungry. The dudes we took in the re-entry draft were depth. Sure, we'll need them, and we want them to do well, but they were never our "Big Plan" for 2013.

Woo hoo!!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

15. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omg, please bring us more Hondurans if they're up to snuff like Bernardez and Chavez! Can't wait to see if this develops. Getting a CB to play alongside Bernardez would be awesome, and maybe an attacking mid? ;)

16. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think we will add anyone new unless there extremely cheap, he have cover at every position & not much cap room. FY has already said if players do will he will keep them there & carrying on playing them & JD has said were tight on the cap so don't hold any hope.

Oh and by the way that Galaxy mook in the Houston thread got it al wrong, Donovan went to LA 'cause Lalas is an imbecile & sold him out while he was in Germany & Donovan didn’t have the principles or respect for us to leave California & go play somewhere else the country.

17. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    the two names being speculated are, Johnny Leveron, whom was earlier mentioned, and the second name seems to be C.D. Olimpia's Alex Lopez. hmmmm.. Idk if its for sure, but these were names that I was just given.

It was also reported last week that Johnny Leveron might go on trial with Uruguayan side, Nacional.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He says this every season. It's meaningless.

20. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus we've got untold(unknown) riches in allocation $ The Don owes us. gotta bring in some young, capable depth since the season is going to be a long one.

how much will the CCL games cost us STH I wonder...

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that matters for a CB is to be an upgrade to Hernandez.. Which we know is not a high bar.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL, I don't think they want to show anyone anything. I heard the same thing about other teams. Its a gimmick.

23. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Based on some online articles, Lopez is highly thought of and had trials with several European clubs, including Tottenham, in 2011 but couldn't come to terms. He would be young enough to qualify for the MLS "Young DP" rule and only hit the salary cap at a max of $200k, no matter what salary he gets. Lopez plays on Olimpia, the same team that Boniek Garcia played on before Houston signed him. And Lopez looks like a much more offensively productive player than Garcia, as Lopez has scored 9 goals and 11 assists in 15 games so far this season for Olimpia, and has 17 goals in 46 games in his 3 year career at Olimpia (compared to Garcia's 14 goals in 115 games over 6 years with Olimpia).

Catracho_Azul - do you know what formation Olimpia play and where Lopez fits in? He's described as an attacking mid in the articles I found, but I don't know if that is in a 5 man midfield or what.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I don't think you can really compare Oscar Boniek's career at Olimpia to Alex Lopez's.. Oscar started out as a Right Wingback, and wasn't till like two seasons ago he moved to winger, then to a freelancing winger/attackingmid role permanently.

Olimpia play a 4-2-2-2 for the most part. Alex is a dynamic player on the team in the sense that his initial position would be centrally paired with the holding midfielder, but he'd have more attacking freedom to link up play and then move the ball laterally and continue his run to the center.. or he'd line-up wide in some cases, but for the most part played literally central attacking mid and then roam a bit. He really likes to touch the ball and distribute.. has some real good vision, and really good passing and crossing and a hell of a long shot.

to sum it up.. he's really good and will imo be a rich mans version of Amado Guevara

markmcf8, Beerking and sportsfan-quakes repped this.