2013 Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by gogogo, Feb 16, 2013.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    In 2008, Kerri Hanks clearly dove at the end of the NCAA final. I was there. She deserved a red card. Notre Dame did a great job Sunday of getting away with fouls against the best player in the country (by a wide margin), yet she still scored a goal (even if the ref did not count it). UNC clearly outplayed UND. We have two more chances at you.

2. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    UNC players don't hang on the opponents' jerseys all game. You will never see that from UNC, but their opponents do it all the time. Notre Dame won very cheaply.

3. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I think we should be pretty careful when we come onto other team's sites, and take some care, lest we appear to be trolling as so many do on the UNC site.

ND (IMO) played very well on Sunday! I might argue that they had the preponderance of chippy play, but they played to the refs, and the refs were not calling much. Can't fault an underdog team for that. I didn't see anything reckless, so to say it was somehow a "cheap" win seems way over the top. They got some good calls from the refs, but so what? I think (and hope) UNC learned a lesson, so I hope when we next meet the outcome will be quite different, but lets take nothing away from ND. They played an outstanding game, and they beat us on the day. We should be able to gracefully live with that.

philrothgeb repped this.
  4. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    This, as well as your post that followed it...grow-up and stop making excuses/being a sore loser - makes you look childish...and classless...even more so in comparison to your other NC Supporter "UNC4EVER"

I know this is just an on-line forum, but it does leave a sour-tinge on one's tongue about UNC's fans when you can't lose gracefully.

5. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Cari Roccaro tweets: "Feel like I got hit by a bus... Thanks @crysdunn_19 love u"

To which Ms. Dunn replies:
    " @cari_roccaro oh you do?! Hmmm... Lol pic.twitter.com/4uQOtzMU8w "

These great players are better sports than many of their fans. Congrats to the Irish - Syracuse is up next.

Lensois repped this.
  6. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    For real, those comments were not needed. It's not ND's fault that the assistant didn't see it clearly enough to give a goal. And frankly, if the refs aren't calling fouls or shirt pulls, then credit ND for using that to their advantage--seems to me like a smart strategy that paid off for 3 points.

7. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I would not go so far as to say all your gals were roll-models. There was (IMO) some pretty chippy play, and my perception is that it was mostly by ND. However, the only UNC player who left injured went out in the first minutes after a crash with another Carolina player, so I'd say if there was a complaint, it was with the officials. The ND players did no more than they were allowed to get away with. Overall, the team's play was (IMO) talented and exceptional! To the extent that it was enhanced by playing on the weaknesses of this particular group of refs, I would say the play remained well within the spirit of the (in this case very physical by both sides) game, but I would not (if I were you) brag about it. ND played to the edge of what they could get away with. And that added to an otherwise very talented performance. May or may not have made a difference in the final outcome, but while I don't fault it, but I would not hold up chippy play to weak officials as a real paradigm everyone ought to aspire to.

Please understand these comments are specific to the quoted post. They in no way suggest that the officials or the edginess of the ND play in any way justify our loss or any way diminish what I think was a well-earned ND victory.

8. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Interesting factoid from the Irish website:

"[T]he Fighting Irish not only earned their first win over a No. 1 team since Dec. 5, 2010 (1-0 vs. Stanford in the NCAA national championship match at Cary, N.C.), but also their first win over a top-ranked squad in the regular season since Oct. 4, 1996 (2-1 in overtime over North Carolina at Durham, N.C.)"

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #59 MRAD12, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    That's not a fair comment. Jersey pulls, and ticky-tack fouls happen everywhere by everyone, UNC not excluded. I remember a few years back in Chapel Hill between UNC and Notre Dame where Courtney Jones (one of my favorite players on FCKC) barreled into a ND player with all her might sending her bent over to the ground. Today Courtney Jones and Melissa Henderson are roommates and friends playing for the same pro team in Kansas City. I don't know if you've seen as many UNC vs. ND games as I have but trust me both teams are doing everything they can to win.
    And trust me, the women's game is civil compared to the men's game. Go to a men's college game and compare how much nastier the men's game can get. Shirt pulls are nothing.

10. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    A red card for a dive? Get real. The correct punishment is a yellow card.

11. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I'm a Carolina grad and fan :-/. There was no cockiness to my post above as I never want ND to win, but I'm also realistic and don't see everything through light blue tinted glasses

12. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
  13. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I hope I don't see everything through blue tinted glasses either! But as we are both now identified as Carolina fans, I won't further clutter the ND board with this conversation.

My only point in being here in the first place was to say congratulations ND, and thanks for an exciting game and a well earned win!

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I personally don't mind any conversation on any board as long as it doesn't get ridiculously mean spirited.
    I go on the UNC board once in a while but am mindful not to instigate.

That's why the ACC thread is good. It can serve as a neutral thread for ACC fans to banter and even for a hopefully fun spirited argument on an occasion among each other without feeling they are intruding into someone else's turf.

15. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notre Dame sucks and will have 8 losses this year.

16. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh that photo, every time I see it. I mean what was Katie doing?

17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I understand this might have been a poor inside joke. I'm not trolling, just jabbing with MRAD who was with me at the games and it was just a bad joke. I'm really hoping Notre Dame does well this year, it will make all of us better in the ACC. I'm a huge fan of Morgan Andrews.

18. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Notre Dame fans should be flattered that UNC fans care enough to troll on their page. You have beaten us more than any other team and have a nasty habit of doing it on our field. What was it? 2010? ....When you beat us 4-1 on our home field to end an unbelievably long streak of TWENTY FIVE years where UNC had not lost by more than a goal. And Notre Dame did it by THREE GOALS. I don't mind physical play, even VERY physical play. I guess pulling on jerseys just seems particularly cheap. But, it is obvious that Notre Dame has a strong tradition. Even Anson said in an interview that he thought ND would get even better by being in the ACC. They have been tremendous in recruiting outside the conference. How about now that they can sell the chance to play UNC, UVA, FSU , Wake Forest, etc. every year? I'd much rather get beaten by Notre Dame than by Stanford, but....oh yeah, Stanford has NEVER beaten UNC. I think these teams will see each other in December and they it will be a fantastic game.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an outsider to the UNC/NotreDame rivalry, which is conducted with good spirit here on BS as well as elsewhere, but also as one who reads the UNC, Notre Dame, and ACC threads (and all other threads on this forum) regularly, there was no doubt in my mind that you were kidding.

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an interesting question for all of you Notre Dame and UNC fans: How many teams have beaten both Notre Dame and UNC in the same year? This is a particularly pertinent question since both teams now are in the same conference and 12 other teams will have the chance to do it annually (so long as the ACC keeps up its full round robin scheduling).

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Of course I knew you were kidding. cpthomas knows me. I have a sense of humor. :)

22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do and he does. MRAD12 gets around the country to watch WoSo, most definitely. He has to be one of their best fans ever.

23. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, MRAD joined me at the State game last week. I guess I was more worried about other hard core, perhaps a little more sensitive, Irish fans.

24. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I was at the 2009 final and ended up right in the middle of a bunch of Irish fans. Right before kickoff, I yelled "just like 2006" referring to the result on the same field 3 years prior. 19 seconds later, hanks scored and the Irish fans let me have it...89 minutes later, unc won 2-1..."just like 2006". Delicious :)

25. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I can't answer, but it's probably going to happen soon, if not this year. FSU already has the chance and it wouldn't shock me were Wake or Virginia to do it, either.