2013 NCAA Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by Sebsasour, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, he did. It was vacated, but it would take a fool to extend "vacated" to "never won". You're no fool, just somebody who's scared he isn't getting enough attention.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #652 ElJefe, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    No, just someone who loves hating on Pete Carroll.

Edit: Or more precisely, "someone who will never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at Pete Carroll, however unfair it might be."

Edit #2: Your own personal value system will tell you whether that's better or worse than "someone who's fond of making character judgments of people he's never met and applying labels to them."

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    C'mon, man! I know this isn't because of the 2005 title game- Texas won that one. He never coached the Cowboys, so what was it he did? Surely you can't be hating because he got out of Troy before the NCAA lynch mob got there. I wouldn't hold that against any coach who won as much as he did.

Unless you've met Carroll, the bolded are similar enough that it seems I have no decision to make... ;)

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a Southern Cal thing. Anyone coaching them will start off as somewhat unsympathetic due to the stifling levels of smugness surrounding the program. But even then, he went above and beyond the call of duty in his preening jackassery, to the point where folks were actually rooting for Rick Neuheisel when he got to Westwood. Seriously... Rick Neuheisel.

Were it not for that, he'd just be a slightly interesting coach who's done far better with his third chance as an NFL head coach than he did with his first two.

Look, I'll admit that there's nothing rational about my dislike for Carroll. And it's not like I'm a guy who holds grudges. I even like Barry Switzer these days!

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Do you really think they're any more smug than Alabama fans? This may be a difference in the kind of fanbase we find concerning. I'm sure the USC hardcores are aware of their place in college football's traditions (and don't mind letting folks know about it), but living in Alabama, I'm familiar with that mentality already, and I really don't see how any fanbase could be more smug than the Tide's.

It bothers me here only because college ball is all the region has, and IMO the success leads to apathy in seeking much else. It doesn't bother me at all that a university, alumni, fanbase and region that already has the rest of its educational/social/cultural bases covered decides to brag on their football.

You sound like you're critiquing a damn play. What did he do, specifically?

You have no choice. Someone was going to say it. You must get more USC exposure in Texas than we do here. We never heard anything about Carroll not to like or at least be neutral about.

Now, if you'd said that you didn't like Kiffin, I would have understood, but even then, without any evidence to understand.

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Auria, with Kiffin close to ur home.. are u looking forward to seeing him in person possibly??

btw fack UCLA.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Me? He didn't do anything for USC that would make me want to shake his hand.

Tennessee fans might want to beat his ass, tho.

What's your problem with them?

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Only saying fack UCLA because I saw Jim Mora + his 6 coaches this past week at a John Curtis basketball game. They're making a very hard-press for John Curtis duo 5* Malachi Dupre and 4* Kenny Young. Saw Les Miles in attendance too as well as Jimbo Fisher and Bret Bielema, but everyone knows its down to UCLA and LSU for those two and they visit LA this weekend to boot before visiting BR again. Hopefully UCLA's DC who just recently left is the swing that puts LSU over the edge for these two kids, but seriously, fack UCLA. Their steadily making some serious noise.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meh... they can go to the League from UCLA as easily as they can from LSU. The chances of them winning much at either program are small, what with Stanford and Oregon (jury's still out on USC) looking like the class of the Pac-12 and Auburn and Alabama running both the SEC and the SEC West. But if they go to "BR" (you may wanna spell that out next time- it'll take anyone outside South Louisiana a few seconds at least to get it) they can boost LSU's NFL tally.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think they have a better shot at entering the league and winning a Natty in Baton Rouge than in Los Angeles.. yea cool beans Auburn and Bama, but they've been beat before, away and at home. I think UCLA is selling Malachi on him being the #1 target for Brett Hundley who will definitely be a high draft pick in 2015 draft, while they're telling Kenny Young that he will be their next Barr (LOL). LSU has a nice track record with putting pretty much any sort of player in the league, Odell and Jarvis (best hands in college football) will convince him to come to the home team, especially since he talks to Odell a lot.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd agree if you all were in the West (the SEC runner-up is almost certainly going to be able to ride the champion's dick into this four-team playoff). But you're not.

Anyhow, I hope these kids you're talking about do well wherever they end up.

12. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The rape took place in February 2010, and the suicide in June 2011. Mizzou announced its decision to join the SEC in November of 2011, but surely the plan to switch conferences was in the works well before that. I really can't say with any certainty that there isn't an "assimilation period" of sorts that universities go thru before they switch to a conference with... different priorities, but there's so much going on here that I guess we'll never really know how much the changeover affected the school's culture, but the discussion probably ought to take place in the Greatest Conference Thread, as that's where Mizzou is now and where they were headed when this happened.

14. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow... worst of all, Coach Franklin may not have been aware of what he's about to walk into. I hope he can get in and then out before something beyond his control happens up there that ruins his career. But what do you do? No way to know when an opening at a major tradition is going to open up again, so maybe he had to take this one and hope anyone who's interested understands that it wasn't him. Praying for his success.

16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Happy National Signing Day :cool:

#GeauxTigers

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    stanger repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he thought the Gov. in question was Chris Christie?

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Even if it were, where would the "pp" part come in?

25. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's a Republican?:D

No idea. Maybe he thought the Gov. was the one that took the speaking engagement from the injured former player? That he lobbied for it somehow?