2013 NCAA Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by Sebsasour, Aug 5, 2013.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was shocking to me how hurt Brent Musburger sounded when FSU pulled it out at the end. He had the same tone of voice that you'd expect from the Auburn radio guy. Amazing. Unprofessional. Amazing.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ACC! ACC! ACC! Man, how stupid that sounds. I just wish for once that this conference bullshit would just go in a hole and die. I know as long as ESPN has the SEC contract they are going to nuthug this conference crap for 24/7/365. There is an old adage out there: If ESPN says it, it is true.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is wrong with you? You never met people that have a great memory?

Are you stupidily implying that I remember because he is black? I remember because he was integral to Georgetown winning the National Championship and he was bright and articulate unlike so many other athletes.

Billy South Philly repped this.
  4. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read somewhere that this was OSU's first loss ever when they have scored 35 points. That tells me everything right there. They are historically known for their defense and I have watched them a few times this year and they looked awful. Awful. It is so easy to beat OSU right now if you have decent talent: let Braxton beat you with his arm since his touch is off and his WR's can't get open AND run screens and dumps over and over and over on their soft zone defensive coverage. It is sounds like Urban needs to understand that the Columbus faithful won't tolerate losing like this for very long.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that if he has an average record of 12-1, he'll be there as long as he wants to be.

6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the great thing about college football, next year can be completely different. Where were FSU and Auburn last year?

John Cooper would like to have a word. As long as that 1 loss isn't to Michigan...

Billy South Philly repped this.
  7. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing about John Cooper. He had some serious studs on his teams back in the day and they always seem to go 10-0 before Michigan and the bowl game and just crap the bed. He never understood the meaning of The Game. Urban basically pulled a John Cooper this season.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Earle Bruce had a fantastic record better than Cooper and was fired.

9. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked up Earle Bruce. He went 9-3 every year and lost to Michigan too often. I think it is safe to say that Columbus expects to be competing for the NC's on a consistent basis. Nothing wrong with that mentality. They seem to be in the mix on a yearly basis in the past 20 years from what I recall and that is good that the faithful expect that. And yet the sportswriters lambasted Austin for booting Mack Brown after going 8-4 in the past couple of years. Austin is like Columbus. They expect to be competing for NC's.

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final nail in Coop's coffin was the loss in the Outback Bowl to South Carolina, when their two best receivers, Germany and Rambo, were suspended for academics. Coop could recruit but he couldn't control the kids on the team.

11. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Bowden went through the same demands for not winning enough in the last few years at FSU and then Fisher comes in and wins an NC a few years later. FSU expects to compete for NC's as well. You will be fine as a coach if you are constantly in the mix, winning your conference, going BCS bowling, and winning a national title, but if you are not doing that in the "show me what you have done lately for me" days of sports, you will be gone.

12. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remembered that game cuz that was the first bowl game on TV that day since it was an 11 am start and shit just started to blow up. OSU was so undisciplined and didn't give a crap. I remember a Mr. Ohio played for S Carolina and torched them that day. That Reggie guy pulled a Bluto Blutarsky: Zero point zero for the fall semester.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2012 Florida State went 12-2, won the ACC, and won the Orange Bowl played on January 1, 2013. Then they had the most players taken in the 2013 NFL Draft.

14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game, so I remember it vividly. I was also at the Outback the next year, again playing SC, when OSU went down big early and then came all the way back, just to have SC kick the winning FG as time expired. It was Tress's first bowl game for OSU.

15. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Tressel's team almost pulled it off when they went for the win and the QB threw an interception down the field and SC capitalized on it with a long field goal. However, that comeback sealed Tressel's fate as a winner. They gained that confidence back and won it all the next year. There is always a spark somewhere that revives the fortunes of a program. That bowl game jump started the Tressel era despite losing.

16. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one hot kitchen in Austin:
    http://espn.go.com/college-football...bs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire

Those boosters have such egos that they expect to be backslapped by these coaches. That is why Mack Brown was able to have a long tenure in Texas, besides having a nice winning streak, was he that he was great in the "backslapping the billionaires" game. Charlie Strong is a lot more reserved in the back channels than Mack Brown ever was. All I know is Charlie Strong will have an extremely short leash if he doesn't become more politically affable with the boosters. Winning will help too, but certain boosters need to feel the love.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd never heard Coach Strong speak before. Jameis is a 20 year-old. Strong has no excuse. He should have been working on this --literally, with a tutor-- years ago in preparation for a bigger gig. I hope he's more comfy off the mic than he is on it.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?
    The repetitive "jus'" is a bit of a crutch, but many coaches have one or another; other than that I don't see what's so bad about his speech. He sounds black, but not ignorant or gangsta or anything. He's easy to understand which is more than I can say about a lot of Texans I met in Austin. Jim Harbaugh isn't any better spoken, is he?

Red McCombs probably wasn't going to like anybody darker than an oatmeal cookie, even if they were as articulate as Barbara Jordan-- but that's the sort of thing one has to live with when one breaks another glass ceiling. He's 86, so hopefully he won't last out Strong's tenure.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I literally cringed several times. If I was to go back and listen again, I'd be able to tell you when and why. But I'm completely accepting of accents, so that wasn't it. He's easy to understand, but how long before someone claims they "can't understand" him?

As for Harbaugh, I can't say. I don't pay a lot of attention to how White coaches talk, and I guess I'm part of the problem in that regard. The time-tested "twice the talent to receive half the benefit" phrase comes to mind, so I'm more concerned about Black coaches with speech issues than I am about White ones because I think the speech will bite Black guys in the ass quicker.

And the thing gladhanding is, you gotta have something to say while you got that guy's attention. I want him to be able to play 18 holes or spend a day deep-sea fishing with these donors without looking out of place aside from his color. David Shaw could have done that, no prob, and so could Franklin, I think. I'm hoping Strong can handle it.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Mccombs said he'd probably be fine as a coordinator. That's likely to be the line for a while... we understand him fine, and we know his place...

21. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe that is why he wasn't hired a while back as HC, prior to Louisville. Maybe his presentation came off very lacking and colleges are somewhat squeamish about having a face of the university with poor public speaking skills.
    Very valid points regarding college football. There is a huge correlation between winning and increase of endowments toward that particular college. you have to have the right person in charge too. There was a 60 Minutes episode about University of Alabama and the college president basically said hiring Nick Saban was the best thing ever for the university, all because the amount of money raised for the university since they got a winning program. And Nick Saban is also out there busily back slapping the boosters. Remember these boosters are CEO's and high society bigwigs and the last thing they want is someone at the face of their favorite university with bad speaking skills. That is the way it is. Being a HC at a big time school is like being a CEO. You better sound good to your shareholders/ boosters and bring in the results.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Had not heard that. Wow... Regardless of how old he is, he went out of his way to say some thing a lot of elderly White people have matured enough to know were BS when they were young and BS now. But he's entrenched, and he's going to be a problem.

I don't know if I'd have taken the job behind a statement like that from a guy with McCombs' influence and political leanings. No, check that- I'm Charlie Strong, I mother********ing well know I'm a head coach- I'll be damned if I'll take a paycheck from anyone who suggests that I'm anything else. I'll let Louisville match or approach Texas' offer, stay with the girl I brung and whatever benefits she can provide me, and let my life be an example to anyone who cared to look that maybe these schools need to look at donors other than the Red McCombs of the world. Tell me again, Texas, why you can't find someone just as wealthy with none of HIS baggage that I'M now going to have to carry around.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    He'd already taken the job when McCombs said it.

McCombs was complaining about the haste with which Strong was hired, which I more or less took as dogwhistle code for "after all the money I've given them, I should have had the chance to veto this, but nobody asked me."

And I'm not sure there is a richer UT alum...

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Plus I imagine if you were Strong and you were somehow aware that they weren't running your name past Red, you'd likely have been tickled... um... pink.

It sounds as though whoever was behind this said to themselves/each other "After all what's Red gonna do-- make us take his name off all the buildings and convert to an Aggie?"

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can see a "let's do this with or without Red's approval" in it, and that's good. But if he feels betrayed, he'll maybe make even more noise. Texas can't pay him to STFU and go away.

Ralph Engelstad did something very close. We'll see how this plays out.