2013 MLS Superdraft

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Clint Eastwood, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........it's gonna be Ian Cristianson of Georgetown then :)

That's now play B. This is a player that was eligible for a homegrown signing with Chicago, and they inexplicably chose not to sign him. That's the perfect guy for us.

There are some highly ranked forwards on the board, I just don't know anything about them. Except Will Bates of UVA..........and I wouldn't pick him at #20.

2. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Here's hoping the Galaxy don't take him at #19 and FCD could definitely use a D-mid. If they get Ian, I'll say that this was a decent draft for FCD so far.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    According to the draft board I'm looking at, a lot of the top players left are actually defenders.

If we want a fullback, there are some top ones out there. Only Kemp has been selected.

Kory Kindle of CS-Bakersfield, Jimmy Nealis of Georgetown, Greg Cochrane (LB/LM) of Louisville, etc.

I mean, if Jair Bentiz has a long term injury...........what's our plan at LB?

4. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman and Lalas were mentioning Kindle not too long ago. Let's see what happens.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    OK..................we're on the clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Two top cb's are not enough for a league season with a match every week. Sprains, bruises, hammy, etc. A 3 man rotation is a must and Zimmerman shud be just the ticket to ensure 2 in form cb's are available every week and thereby keep FCD in every game with good defense as they sort out all the other problems. With the next pick, a good link up forward who can also play wide right would be nice but I doubt there is such a thing left. Somebody more Landon Donovan than Dempsey since Ferreira and Blas play centrally and Castillo/Jackson are not the most dependable performers even if brilliant on occasion. A left mid who plays good defense and passes well and could fill in at fb would work too and is probably available in a MLS draft.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My draft board says this about Christianson:

The Georgetown senior makes his debut on the big board after MLS denied the Chicago Fire’s Homegrown Player claim on him, making Christianson eligible for the draft. A tireless defensive midfielder with poise and good passing skills, Christianson is going to be a popular target for teams looking for defensive midfield help.

Sounds like us doesn't it? Come on Clavijo! Do it!!!

8. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan Hollingshead. Do not know much about him. Anyone care to elaborate on this guy? Twellman seems to like him.

They did also mention that they don't know if Ryan even wants to play professionally. Red flag? Who knows...

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ryan Hollingshead...............

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's committed to doing some sort of missionary work in Haiti.

He's a good player, and this is why he's dropped this far.

I. don't. get. it.

Soyrizo repped this.
  11. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither.

That said, the more I think about it the more I like the Zimmerman pick. I cannot see Ihemelu coming back and I'm thinking that some of our center backs are interchangeable with the left or right back positions. If that's the case, it's good depth to have.

12. FLAgator514

FLAgator514 Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or are we determined to draft whatever player is left on the board with the highest upside? Uggh why arent we choosing based on what we need? So freaking annoying.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here is a youtube vid where he scores from distance against UNC in final four 2011

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Wgzg1gpGScU&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Wgzg1gpGScU

Seems he has a lot of academic honors so an Mls paycheck may not do. Hope he realizes he can only play the game when he is young and signs on. Looks like Schellas picked the right one here. UCLA is a good program, too. This guy can probably help right away. I'm guessing he shores up right forward side, not left rear.

14. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ugo Ihemelu is gone (which I believe he is), then Zimmerman was a great pick up at #7. He was far and away the best defender in the draft and he doesn't count against the cap. Hollingshead is the big question mark for me. A position FCD needs and a damn good player but the uncertainty that he'll ever play one second in a FCD kit is what is centrally bugging me.

15. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, you get into more trouble drafting for need than drafting the best available player.

The Cowboys (pre JJones) used to draft with this mentatilty. This allowed them to always be in contention until the last couple years of Landry's reign.

16. FLAgator514

FLAgator514 Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't help if you have gaps at several positions though. It would be helpful if we at least addressed some positional concerns, whether that be through the draft or through FA (preferably a combination). What bugs me is that we are ignoring the obvious issues we have with depth at certain positions.

17. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, this was a bust. I'm sure Zimmerman is a talented kid, but we already have Hedges, John, Keel (why did we sign him again?), Pertuz, Woodberry, AND possibly Ihemelu... That's 6 CB's already and we add a 7th? Whaa? The only way this even begins to make sense is if you can say that Ugo is gone and that Pertuz and Woodberry are really only cover for Loyd/Benitez. Maybe the plan is to trade Zimmerman for allocation money or for someone that we can actually use.

18. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My retort would be this:

There really aren't as many gaps as you think there are. We have forward depth (Perez, Pipico, Castillo, Top, Baladez), midfield depth (Luccin, Ferreira, Warshaw, Jacobson, Villar, Acosta), winger depth (Jackson, Shea, Hollingshead - Castillo, Villar, Loyd, Benitez, and Baladez can also fill those roles), defensive depth (John, Hedges, Keel, Woodberry, Loyd, Benitez, Zimmerman, M. Hernandez can be recalled, Acosta and Jackson to an extent), and keeper depth (Fernandez, Seitz, Sanchez). [NOTE: The draftees are in bold. (No sh*t, Sherlock... lol)]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, dude... Pertuz is gone, back in Medellín. Jackson can move back there if necessary as Castillo could take his place on the wing. Same on the other side with M. Hernandez if they have to recall him from Saprissa. The injury uncertainty with Ugo (who's as good as gone, IMHO) was the necessity of the Zimmerman pick. Also consider that John, as incredibly talented as he is, also happens to be a health risk. The key here was interchangeability. Just because the picks didn't meet with your approval doesn't mean it was a bust. Moving along...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In that list, I see a hell of a lot of interchangeability between positions. In certain match-ups, players can be moved to positions of need at any given moment. With Hyndman's preference of two-way players you can start to see how he's wanting to run this team. With the injury madness that hit FCD last year, having those bases covered without breaking the bank is EXACTLY what he's accomplished.

Is it the best talent in the league at every position? Definitely not, but then you have the chemistry scenario. Hyndman knows more about these players than we do and talent will not win championships on its own. These guys need to have a camaraderie with each other for it all to work properly. Now that I am taking a glance at what I've just typed (especially if Hollingshead decides to play), FCD has had a damn good draft and true necessities have been filled.

BOTTOM LINE: Remember that there is still a whole off-season to tinker and re-tool the lineup as necessary. Also remember that injuries were what centrally destroyed this club last year. With those bits of information in mind, I think this draft fulfilled its purpose for FC Dallas. There is much more to come if changes are needed but I personally believe that FCD has all the pieces it needs to enter into training camps and the preseason. Will those pieces bear fruit? Only time will tell but consider me faithfully optimistic after this draft... well, at least on paper. XD

My cent-and-a-half.

19. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easton FC repped this.
  20. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, that means even more forward depth. I also like the fact that he's young. Hopefully he's not another Ricardinho though, so I'm gonna have to do some more research on this guy.

For once, I'll give thanks to Simon Borg for this information. And thanks to Sportsfan783 for sending it here.

21. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    The only reason anyone should be surprised to see FCD draft Zimmerman is because he was available at #7. If you had known prior to the draft he'd be there, anyone worth their salt would have predicted that pick.

A. No. Brainer.

I also think we all have to work under the assumption that Ugo is done. The club is. (if, in fact, he provides some service this season, that's a bonus, but it's unlikely at CB). Yes, the club has some depth here, but when was the last time both of FCD's CB's were went a whole season without a lengthy injury? A: Never With Pertuz gone, Zim is the immediate #3.

The 2nd pick, Hollingshead, is a real head scratcher. He skipped the combine for missionary work, and has publicly stated he's not sure soccer is his future. You'd have to assume FCD knows something the rest of us don't, but if I'm being honest, I'd admit that I'm not so sure they do…

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Three years from now we may say that the Zimmerman pick was a steal.

I wouldn't say Zim is the immediate #3, though. We know Schellas' penchant for requiring youngsters to settle in and prove they're ready to play, and this is a teenage central defender coming off an injury. If he's actually returned from his injury in time, he'll be with the US at U20 World Cup qualifying. That means less pre-season time than needed, and the possibility that he'll be gone an extended period with the U20 World Cup. Stephen Keel has a lot of MLS experience, and after watching Zim/London I'd say London Woodberry is the more mature player of the two right now. Other people may have a completely different opinion.......................

It's always good to have competition, and we have plenty of competition brewing at the centerback spot. Can't be a bad thing. And hey, if at the end of 2013 we think we have 4 starting MLS-caliber centerbacks we can always trade one. Guys like this have real value.

Maybe I'm crazy, but could we not have taken Mikey Lopez or Dillon Powers in the 1st round and a nice centerback like Dylan Tucker-Gagnes in the 2nd round? Overall that would have been a better draft than this one with the mysterious pick of Hollingshead in the 2nd. In order to use a valuable #20 pick on him, let's hope Clavijo knows the kid is going to play.............................

23. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    So people are mad that Dallas got the 1 or 2 rated player in the draft? Signing Woodberry shouldn't have precluded them from drafting him, and signing Keel certainly shouldn't have. My guess is Keel prob isn't even on a guaranteed deal, so if doesn't show well in training camp he is gone. So no big deal there either. We all think Ugo is done too. So let's applaud them for taking the best player available.
    The other kid doesn't make a lot of sense unless they have talked to him or his agent and realize that he can be convinced to show up. Perhaps it was flyer worth taking, we shall see.
    Dallas certainly doesn't need any more young forwards though.

24. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    If they play the yutes I am happy.

25. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its looking like FCD is going to be getting an extra first round talent every year with the HG rules, so they really have no reason not to take BPA regardless of risk since they'll be getting double the top tier prospects every year. This hedges their risk a lot.

I would argue you should pick the BPA regardless since you shouldn't be depending on rookies to fill immediate holes anyway. (excluding GKs).