2013 MLS SuperDraft / Kekuta Manneh

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by OneTerryHurlock, Jan 15, 2013.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You think? I like him there long term but I think he is two behind Sarkodie right now at RB. We have three other D mids on the team in Camargo, Rico, and Moffat.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Very much like Sarkodie was in college: better crossing but not quite as fast.

3. tex0313

tex0313 Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    we have enough Jamaicans for a bob sled team now.....just sayin'

cfig, DNez2001, El Naranja and 5 others repped this.
  4. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the pick of JJ, do you think DK commits more to the 4-3-3?

5. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was just going to say, I think we'll see some more 4-3-3 next season, but then I got to thinking about who would take Calen's spot on the wing while he's out? Kandji might be gone, so would it be Cummings and Johnson who are the 2 wingers? It might have to be because Ching and Weaver aren't gonna be wingers. Maybe you push Boniek up on the right side but it's so good when he and Brad are in that middle 3 together. Maybe Barnes? I don't know. I don't know much about Johnson, but I wouldn't think Dom would be looking for him to grab a starting role this season.

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Dom 2.0 is totally flexible and will play whatever formation gives us the best chance to win. Truly it will depend on how JJ develops. He can sit and relax and learn from Bruin, Cummings, Carr, and Ching. No pressure to play, just learn.

If he pushes for playing time than you consider a 4-3-3 to get him on the field, but I think there will be plenty of minutes off the bench if JJ earns them. It's not going to be easy though.

El Naranja, *rey* and anderson repped this.
  7. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    Not sure on Mikey seen him play since he was 10 and a good player for sure but not totally convinced at the pro level. I have not seen anything on johnson so cannot comment on the pick but seen loads of KM and he was the guy to go for. He will be in europe before/at the end of GA contract

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Mikey Lopez' size would cause me concern. you have to be Sinha-skilled in order to pull it off.

look Manneh would of been awesome, but i don't think we could of gotten down to the fourth pick without giving up something substantial. we have no allocation $ and other teams would of probably tried to take Sarkodie or Ashe (ha! that one is for you) since they know we had no bargaining power.

ironically, we got the guy that would of gone 4th instead of Manneh. he may end up proving those teams that picked 5th-12th wrong. i think we did the right thing. never judge a player because of 2 days bad work when the tools are there.

DNez2001 and anderson repped this.
  9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You never know who will excel. It's the same for all the major sports when it comes to the development of young men. There are tons of Heisman winners that just were poor to mediocre to prove it.

10. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Gino Torretta was awesome!

CeltTexan repped this.
  11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Agreed, Dom seems willing to shift things to get his best players on the field. That being said, losing Carr makes it more difficult and you can make a case it is not our best option heading into the year. Cummings does not (or I should say HAS not) looked good when he is pushed wide. He seems to excel down the middle as the second man. If JJ is a winger he would likely move out left in a 4-3-3 and you move OBG up and slot Creavalle in a right middie.

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives Galarcep, who pays a lot of attention to the draft, grades the Dynamo draft as an "A", mostly for the reasons we've discussed (e.g., good prospects at those draft picks).

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say hello to:

Anthony Arena, Wake Forest
    Nick Ryan, UCSB
    Yannick Smith, Old Dominion

Good luck!

For what it is worth, the Arena kid is a former US Youth National.

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ^^^ sigh.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I saw Arena play last year and thought he was pretty good. Glad to see him with us. Not sure about the other two.