2013 MLS SuperDraft / Kekuta Manneh

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by OneTerryHurlock, Jan 15, 2013.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yep, it would depend on Cummings and Moffat. I had not seen anything about those guys having green cards. If they do, then we used our last one on our draft pick. If they do not, we have to trade.

2. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we also gain an international spot with Hainault moving on?

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Well,who do you want to get rid of? I would guess, the players on the trade block are not in high demand. I suppose the only spot that seems to have value on the market would be DM where we could trade any of Moffat, Rico, or Camargo.

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    We have 8 internationals on the team. We only have 6 or 7 spots. So it depends on who is actually on a green card.

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be willing to move any one of the DMs (obviously, Rico would need a lot of value in return). I'd move Weaver or Watson if anyone would have them.

Also, isn't Moffat married to an American? Not sure about his immigration status.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
  7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yes he is, but that doesn't mean he has a green card or citizenship. Although, it would appear he does. International spots confuse me because it is so hard to find out who has a green card. Also, wiki states we have six but I only remember us trading one of our eight to Portland. They list Kandji as domestic . . .not sure when that happened. Suffice it to say we apparently have NONE now after our draft pick.

So we have:
    Barnes, Camargo, Garcia, Taylor, Watson, our new draft pick.
    Traded one to Portland.
    Traded one more to someone else at some point?

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    There are two that they don't know the status of. They were traded to New York in 05 for Rico and 09 for money. They may have expired to bring us back to 8 or they may not have and we only have 6.

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that being married to an American doesn't automatically change your immigration status, but it's one of the actions that can contribute to the process.

Nevermind -- just saw the other post.

And I still think we need to make more moves.

10. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Weaver and Watson, even if you could move them, are not highly likely to be traded for allocation money, which is what you need to clear cap space. If you trade for a Weaver (for example) for 75k in allocation, you turn him into a 200k player to the new team. That is unlikely. That is why DM is about the only spot I think possible to clear cap space that Dom would want to give up.

I agree we need to make more moves, but frankly . . . . it is unlikely we are able to make any more than one more move without giving up a big time player. And even that one more I speak of I think still requires a trade.

11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    New York got it.

I don't think there is an expiration date. I have heard it referenced but nothing I have heard or seen in print states there is one. I suppose you could trade it date specific. I would go with six until I heard otherwise.

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I would be surprised if they haven't reverted back, but I agree, until there's some sort of confirmation 6 is the safe bet.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I actually would be surprised if they ever do revert back. If you look at the wiki page (for what it is worth)" i" spots are all over the place so it doesn't appear they move back. I have never heard of one reverting back.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen the Dynamo draft history? In 7 drafts here is the sum total of players who "made it" in MLS:

Ianni, Chabala, Ashe, Cameron, Cruz, Sarkodie, Bruin, Creavalle.

In 2008, 09, '10, we had no pick higher than 41st!! And the draft was 4-5 rounds then. We traded away the picks for other players in MLS. Now, I think after the 2010 disaster Dom realized we need to re-stock with some younger guys and we had the draft position to get Bruin & Sarkodie, but just look back at these drafts and you see a ton of washouts and others that never hit potential.

I think for a lot of teams and GMs and hardcore fans this is the one time of the year it feels like an NFL-style wheeling & dealing moment, so they place far more emphasis on it than they should.

troutseth repped this.
  15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watson probably isn't guaranteed. Could probably just release him.

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    yep, but it only clears you enough budget space for a depth player, not a "move" so to speak.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Most of them do have expiration dates. The page lists the dates on all of them except those two for the Dynamo, they all have sources that link to articles saying how long the slot is available for.

On a side note, RSL must feel pretty dumb for permanently trading two slots for Jeff Stewart and Adolfo Gregorio.

18. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, not automatic expiration dates but can be traded time specific. No idea what we did though.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Only way a big move occurs is if you trade someone or optimize allocation money to swing a deal or signing. Wonder if there is any play in the Camargo contract to do something.

Release Ching?

20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    yeah, so on the allocation money thing. My new estimates (and I am over 90% confidence level) is we are already using all the allocation money we have left (or almost all). So, trade is the only thing that can happen.

Ching would be guaranteed once re-signed so nothing there.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking we just wouldn't re-sign him. Not sure what they worked out when he came back from Montreal but it sounded as if 2013 was an option year, at least how they are talking about negotiating a 2013 salary. If he hasn't signed, maybe you kick him upstairs, but you need to do it soon.

22. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet that hit rate is higher than most if not all of MLS, much moreso considering the very low picks we had for several seasons.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is, especially for the later round guys. But that's the point, it's a draft more of failure than successs.

IN other news, the Dynamo just announced a broadcast deal with Comcast SportsNet Jamaica for the 2013 season

24. cfig

cfig Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, no one in Jamaica gets the channel.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  25. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    So another Jamaican, huh? :D
    The Houston Dyna-mon. ;)

I like the pick. Went for a better version of Carr, right?