2013 MLS Super Draft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by JB the First, Dec 11, 2012.

1. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll gladly take the offsides when a dude scores with Jairo's pace. 9 goals in 18 matches would have put him tied with Cooper at 3rd in the league if he was there for an entire season.

2. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Things from the Combine

"

3. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This draft class is shaping up well for us to address our needs. There are loads of project forwards who will be available at either of our picks, a few top-tier center backs that could potentially fall to #9, and some project CB's that are worth taking in the second round.

A guy I would like to see us take in the Supplemental Draft is Dylan Remick from Brown. Everything I've read makes him sound like a Rich Balchan clone.

4. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I used to really enjoy the draft, but who cares anymore? After Dilly heads back to Jersey or wherever, we are left with Meram, Anor, Finlay and George since 2009. Fantastic.

5. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaks to how overrated a draft in this league is

6. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think Arrieta played as the left winger in a 4-3-3 with Saprissa

a Arrieta---Cooper---Gaven front three with Higuain as a creative #10 behind would be nasty

BeMassiveSoccer and Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  7. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Damnit Manneh scored a goal, really wanted those that weren't sold on him to lay off. After watching some videos of him I really like him.

8. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember that combine production is not the be all end all. George Josten scored something like 6 goals at the combine. Remember him?

9. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Sure but watching what little is out there I like him. I'd rather others lay off; funny how the two guys I expect to go in the five to ten range that I'd like to take are on the same team.

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Crew braintrust is a force to be reckoned with in the draft room.

Then again, this is a team which garners so much respect in general that when the head coach's son is drafted the league's vice president announces that Sporting Kansas City has drafted Konrad Willzleswatch.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you should have heard them mangle his name up at Jeffrey Field (the old Nike Tourney at PSU that tOSU always went to) a couple of years back. Kinda like War chi cha cha cha. Mrs KG and I yelled up to the box "That's Warzycha!" Got some snickers from the tOSU bench....

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I haven't seen it mentioned that ESPN will not be carrying the draft this year. Apparently the daily replay of the Mike & Mike radio show is of more interest.

The first pick will be covered live on Sportscenter and that's it.

It will be carried on the interwebs by ESPN3 as well as the league website and linked to from the team websites "and possibly other places as well" although who in hell that might be remains an open question.

14. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read how the A League will be doing a draft, like MLS

15. JJLoflin

JJLoflin New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    westerville Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the draft can be picked up in a jungle room near Zimbabwe via satellite if you have the right connections and some cash.

chr1st repped this.
  16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably is.

17. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So MM says they would consider trading our pick. That's nothing new. But I think there are enough good players that we could pick up a guy at #9 that could contribute right away off the bench.

The first 4 guys drafted will likely be some combination of:
    CB Farrell
    CB Zimmerman
    MF Alvarez
    CB Zavaleta

After that, there are still some talented guys:
    FW Finley (probably won't take him, as he isn't a RW type of player)
    FW Brown
    FW Welshman
    FW/MF Hurtado
    FW Johnson
    FW Manneh
    LM Blake Smith
    CM Powers
    CM Stertzer

Lots of options for forward or wing depth there, and most of those attackers are guys with the pace RW likes to play on the wing. I think we'll end up seeing another Finlay/Meram striker-to-wing conversion project.

We probably won't take a CM with Milo, Tchani, O'Rourke, George, and Trapp in the middle.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I never figured out how people can sit down and watch a draft. Seeing it live may be fun but there has to be something more entertaining to do. Of course, being a Browns fan has soured me. I no longer say "who will improve our team", I say "who's career did we just kill".

HardHatMike repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the NHL draft when it was here. Most of it was pretty boring. Fun to see all of the Suits coming to town--as a number of them were great players when I was younger. But it wasn't too exciting, to be honest.

20. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From everything I've heard about Manneh I think he could be a very good player for us. Grab him in the first round and then another project midfielder and defender and we should be fine in terms of draft business

Kayak repped this.
  21. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirk Urso

NewEnglandClamChowder and Kayak repped this.
  22. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Yes go Manneh!!!

23. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Looks like some teams might be scared away from Manneh because he'll take up an international slot. I still think he's worth it. Heck if Mirosevic really leaves we'll be down to three internationals on the roster. With five open spots draft him and work on his green card. There is no reason we should be worse at this than other teams. RSL has gotten a number of their players green cards in about two years, we should be able to do that too.

24. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we get Renteria his in about the same time?

25. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Yeah we got his pretty fast, if other teams aren't going to take who I think is the best all around striker I. The draft because of an international slot with our lack of internationals I say take him. If Anor doesn't get his soon I'll find that pretty disheartening though, he went to college here, we should be able to work that out in two to three years. There is a reason RSL has gotten so good at it though; they permanently traded two of their international slots for nothing.

StatesideSoccer repped this.