2013 MLS Draft

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beirut, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's everyone thinking on the draft?
    Did we come out winners? Or is it too early to tell?

I didn't much like the Rugg pick (hope he changes my mind) but I definitely liked the Opare and Cochrane picks. Would have preferred to have seen Kindle selected, but I think Cochrane can be solid.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously too early to tell, although Arena has a track record of success with the draft, so we gotta give him a little slack, I guess.

It seems to me that our draft strategy changed this year. The past few years, especially when Bruce first arrived, we tried to draft smart, tactically sound players who could step in right away and contribute on the field very quickly. Which makes sense since our roster was so poor and we had no depth. But now that we have a bit of depth to the team, it looks like the strategy changed -- we drafted guys who are very physically gifted, but a little rough and unpolished in their game. Guys who would have been drafted earlier out of our reach had they been more polished as players.

So perhaps the idea here is to get guys who could fill needs (target forward or right mid, center back, left back) and have the physical tools to play in MLS, then use a season of reserve games, coaching, training with the first team, etc. to bring them up to the point where their skills match their physical ability and they are complete players who can contribute to the team...

A bit of a risk, but with no high draft picks and a team that is already pretty deep and successful, maybe now we can afford to take some risks in the draft.

dashiel and profiled repped this.
  3. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's an incomplete at this point. I can't say I love what we did with the draft, but the players might prove me wrong over the next few years. When you are drafting late you can either take more finished players with limited potential, or swing for the fences with players with some risks to them. I think we definitely went the risky route this time, and I was a bit surprised by the picks. So we will see. The players we picked are definitely projects and will take time to evaluate. A couple of the draft reviews I have read haven't been very impressed with our draft, but drafts are really hard to predict so that's far from gospel.

TrickHog repped this.
  4. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Totally agree with TrickHog far too early to tell, you can look at some previous drafts and the #1 pick washed out of the league after a couple of seasons while the last pick of the first round can end up being a critical part of an MLS Cup winning run.

I’d be really curious to know how much Bruce knew about returning players and when. A month ago it looked like we might be in a rebuilding year, then just before the draft it became pretty clear that isn’t the case at all, and the draft lost some of its importance. Right now we’re retaining or upgrading 80% of our roster from 2012 and that may rise to 100%. Like Trick said these draftees aren’t going to find it easy to break in to the first team any time soon.

jmaestro and TrickHog repped this.
  5. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that missed the draft live...like yours truly

6. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we did well. Charlie Rugg might be a name that people will get used to and Opare and Cochrane both will get time in the back.

7. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thinking about the draft a bit more, I think Bruce drafted for 2014. Rugg being a player that can play up top, or on the right wing, sounds a bit like LD, no? Opare may be groomed to replace Omar. And Cochrane could be the LB of the future, or compete with Gaul for that role.

These draft picks could be insurance policies in case LD or Omar leave after this season. I'm not saying that they would step in and be as good as either guy. But if you are out shopping for a replacement for LD or Omar and strike out, you want a plan B.

The Cadaver repped this.
  8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone thought Bruce was reaching big time when he traded for an earlier pick in the draft and selected AJ. We know how that worked out. I don't expect 100% of picks to work out, especially where we were selecting, but there's no one I trust more to make the right call.

Beirut, galaxydeadhead and dashiel repped this.
  9. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not sound like much, but I'd bet I could score more goals per minute than Chad Barrett.

TrickHog repped this.
  10. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Counting own goals? ;)

7E23 repped this.
  11. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think Bruce picked three guys who won't see anything but cleanup minutes and he's hoping one of them sticks and makes the 2014 roster. But that's how it should be for the MLS cup champs.

And I must be Jonesing for some MLS action becuase I watched like over an hour of that superdraft ESPN replay and really enjoyed the banter between Healey, Lalas, and Twellman.

12. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking ahead to the Supplemental Draft, we have the 6th, 57th, 76th.

We'll probably get a pretty good player with the 6th pick. It's extremely rare that players selected in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the Supplemental Draft make any MLS squad.

FW - Ashton Bennet (I) - Coastal Carolina University
    MF - Jose Gomez (I) - Creighton
    CB - Eric Schoenle - West Virginia
    LB - John Gallagher - Penn State
    FW - Chris Thomas - Elon University
    FW - Will Bates- Virginia
    MF - Ryan Clark - Monmouth
    MF - Machael David (I) - UCSB
    MF - Evan Raynr - UCLA
    MF - Kevin Durr - Air Force Academy
    RB - Joe Franco - Cal State Northridge
    GK - James Belshaw (I) - Duke

1) New York
    2) Chivas USA
    3) Portland
    4) New England
    5) Seattle
    6) LA Galaxy

If I had to guess I think that we'll be looking at MF with our selection. Some people had us projected taking Ryan Clark in the first round of the SuperDraft. I think local guys Evan Raynr and Joe Franco could also be selected by us.

If I had to guess I'd say,

1) New York - Eric Schoenle
    2) Chivas USA - Jose Gomez (I)
    3) Portland - Will Bates
    4) New England - John Gallagher
    5) Seattle - Kevin Durr
    6) LA Galaxy - Ryan Clark

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot to list Topperito!

Topper repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The supplemental draft is in a few hours. While WarGalaxy is correct that these picks aren't usually contributors, several have made the Galaxy squad in the last few years since we need the bottom of our roster to be very cheap to balance out the expensive top of our roster. Gaul and Garcia, I think, were both supplemental picks last year and they were pretty key contributors in at least the CCL if not the regular season in the case of Gaul. I think the key is to get someone who dropped because of an injury or a weak combine performance or to get someone you project at a different position (e.g., Gaul, who was a forward for most of college).

Ives has us taking Franco. I can see it. He's a first round talent who dipped because of a torn ACL. Since he is local, we may know him well and have better intel on him and his recovery than other teams. We could probably stash him on the IR for a year if necessary and see if he develops.

15. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we selected Andy Riemer of Georgetown with our 1st pick...thoughts?

16. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Good solid outside midfielder. Practiced with Galaxy last summer

17. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA took Joe Franco.

18. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we passed with our 19th pick in the 3rd round.

19. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We passed on both of our picks (3rd and 4th) round.
    I trust Bruce in what he's doing...

Supplemental draft was so quick. It's already done. I feel like it only took an hour...

20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there you go. Barring a DP signing to replace Becks and waiting to see if Hesmer signs, it looks like we have the team we're going to start the season with... Anyone done the math to see if all 4 draftees can fit on the team or if they will have to beat out a current player to get on the roster?

21. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised we passed. Not a ton of room on this roster for more developmental players. I think our roster is getting pretty close to set. Also, with Lampard more likely to move in summer, it's quite possible we're going to be starting the season with only 1 DP in the lineup.

22. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhat upset that Franco went to ChivasUSA.
    But then again, that gives Sorto plenty of opportunities to play.

Also, somewhat disappointed we didn't give Jose Gomez of Creighton a chance to come in and show what he's got.
    I mean, we don't have to offer a contract to supplemental draft picks, right?
    Not too many people were high on him though, so it probably wasn't even worth it.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives Galarcep is saying that Dave Sarachan really rates Riemer and brought him in to train with Galaxy last fall, so they know him well - so this isn't a reach, but a guy who they think can legitimately make the team...

24. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    According to Goff with the Washington Post, it is Curt Onalfo who knows him well.

Steven Goff@SoccerInsider
    Galaxy's pick, Georgetown's Andy Riemer, is tight with assistant coach Curt Onalfo. No surprise LA claimed him #hoyas #mls

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone's lying!!!!!

:)