2013 MLS CUP

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I want to get a triple crown. SS, Open Cup, MLS Cup.

SogeJ, brahmafutbol, *rey* and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone notice the ball move right before Palmer hit it? Like it fell into a dip or divot.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuk 'em! Dude that scores shouldn't be on the field to equalize.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Like 2010 all over again!!! :D

DrLudicrous and Levy2k6 repped this.
  5. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only we had a 2 part season where we could find a way to make the playoffs, win MLS cup, open cup, CCL, and the wooden spoon.

6. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but i guess winning SS is almost as good as the spoon.

7. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If RSL is dumb.

8. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have given it to Zusi.

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the cherished "atmosphere" was, like against the Dynamo, mostly supplied by the flags they passed out to the stands in front of the cameras and the Cauldron that only makes noise when they are winning or doing corner kicks. For most of the game the atmosphere was supplied by the RSL fans. Same as the Houston game.

shoeless, JC507, El Naranja and 5 others repped this.
  10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    All that I could hear during extra time, and the PK's were the Salt Lake supporters singing. No shame in it for Sporting fans, as they may be a more English style of support, for lack of a better term, than Latin American.

11. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone notice all the pks RSL made that were down the middle? Even Palmers was to the middle, but he was a hair high.

dadcoachref repped this.
  12. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 dadcoachref, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    MLS (and PRO) made it quite clear that they don't mind "over-the-top" defensive play by giving Collin the MVP...I wonder if the DisCo is still meeting after this game...lol

RSL was the better team but three posts, missed chances, one set piece (which was not a corner by the way - look at the replay), and Lovell Palmer did them in...

AcetheTigah and brahmafutbol repped this.
  13. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    despite the slobbering Garber has done of KC, I'd be real curious to see the tv numbers for this game. during his interview at the half, he mentioned early on how important tv was to the growth and viability of the league.

my guess is that despite the MLS diehards, no one watched that game. it's neat-o that the small market teams can compete, but the MLS is symbiotic with LA & NY success still. Hopefully this evolves but we aint there yet.

PS

I think teams have seen that if you don't have multiple super stars on your squad, then you play physical. the success of us and KC these past 5 years has been a model of how to win. Until the MLS makes an effort to promote skill over force, this will continue.

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's all about quality. That's how to get viewers. Some of the best teams in the world are from relatively small markets.(Liverpool, Manchester, Milan, Munich). This process to legitimize the game here is going to be a long process. We won't see the quality until the caps are lifted, but won't see the caps lifted until the league is strong. It's a conundrum.

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Feel bad for Lovel Palmer. Never should have gotten to him to begin with.

2) Scrap the homefield advantage for the playoffs. Could you imagine if NE, NYRB, or PHI hosted it. That's just a nightmare waiting to happen to MLS. Be smart Garber and go back to having a southern based state host it.

3) Dwyer whines about as much as Collin.

4) Pretty anticlimatic game if you ask me. Part of that due to scheduling.

5) So SKC got preferential treatment on ticket allocation? Props to what few RSL supporters that could go. More bull by MLS.

Of course, they wouldn't have to worry about weather issues if our calendar was the same as everyone else's but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #91 Heft, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Poor TV ratings for the MLS Cup. 500K? I'd hope that they'd get at least 1/4 of the LigaMX Final numbers (4.5-MIL).

*EDIT
    .5 is the ESPN number. I haven't seen the Unimas number yet.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniMas may be OK but that day and time slot is a killer. Going up against good college football, three playoff games in a month, zero buzz outside us hardcores. MLS needs to end the season earlier with better playoff scheduling not go on this silly world calendar

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  18. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    How would having a full slate of games this weekend instead of just one be better?

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If the MLS schedule was on the world schedule then the MLS Cup would not have any competition, and be played in the warmer Spring, right?

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, there would be less TV competition. Now adjust for the collective total loss of ticket sales league-wide from reduced crowds due to cold weather from say November thru March (even with a break)

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Well then we have a conundrum.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What is your definition of competition? The NBA and NHL playoffs would be going on in May-early June and so would the MLB regular season. That time period also has more racing, tennis, golf, etc than late November-early December.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    NFL, NCAAF are more competition than NHL, and NBA. LigaMX did very well despite being on the same day as NBA Finals. It's not really my point though. My point is that there will always be a problem with someone on when to schedule matches. The main issue is that MLS is not a big deal to the overwhelming majority.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK. I guess I misinterpreted "not have any competition".

And your overall point. I agree that there will always be competition.

25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #100 Heft, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Yep.
    Weather will bring even more divisions. In the southern cities, it is much safer to play the winter schedule than the summer schedule, and in the north, and Canada, it is hard to fill the stands when it is very cold. MLS is going to face many obstacles in the future, as we grow.