News: 2013 MLS and HD Media Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Levy2k6, Mar 5, 2013.

1. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's weaver???

redinthemorning repped this.
  2. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

redinthemorning, JC507 and Hydro repped this.
  3. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we expect salary to be commesurate to performance, or is that too scientific for a subjective issue such as "how much is a player worth"?

Boniek may be the best bargain in MLS.
    Driver must be punching the wall when he sees Giles salary. Driver is a good bargain

Who hired Cummings? I want that persons head!!!

Rico may be a tad overpriced.

And Crevalle deserves more money! Let cummings go and give Crevalle a few more Ks?

Bruin and Ashe may be making too low to be starters, but we get what we pay for. I need to stop complaining about them.

Alex making more than Boniek? Hope it doesnt create any bad blood.

And in other teams, dero making $600K? Way too much for what you get. Pescadito is a much cheaper option for DC.

I didnt see Dempsey.

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's why salaries are meant to be secret in the corporate world. People don't always make what they deserve to make. In the case where Alex is making more than Boniek, it's just the classic example of really needing a person for a position, at the same time that person is good at negotiating, or has good leverage. Obviously you can't hide their salaries due to the public nature of the sport, but in the corporate world, you better enforce the rule of not talking about salaries, or what you make.

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    So can we figure out from this updated salaries who had their salaries cut over the last few weeks to make room for the young Honduran?

6. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd do it but I'm at work now. Don't have my laptop.

7. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't weaver making more?

8. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Everything is the same. Carr is on there now where he wasn't on the May 2013 numbers. Camargo is out at 192 and replaced by Lopez 192.

9. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salaries aren't just in a vacuum.

Boniek is 28. Lopez is 21. The latter is being paid on potential as much as he is on current accomplishments. Whereas we have a good idea of what we're getting with Boniek. Is he underpaid? Possibly, but Alex is as likely to produce at a level of a $300k player or a $100k player. We just don't know.

Then there are the realities around the league. I don't know a lot about Omar's contract, but he's a proven striker and was becoming an institution with the Rapids. He might have come over as "damaged goods" so to speak (I'm too lazy to trace back his injury history right now as well), but there's a reasonable world where he signed that deal.

On another level there are intangibles. Chabala's a good example. Production-wise, Dom could probably replace him for $35k in a heartbeat; even $45k for another HGP who won't count against the cap. However, he's a consummate professional. A guy you can throw out there in case of injury, or for a mid-week CCL or USOC match, and know he's got enough experience to handle it. He's also a great presence to have in the locker room (if only for reserve matches), and he's incredible with fans. Having someone around to teach the young guys how to be a true pro can be worth $10k-15k a year.

TL;DR version: A lot of things contribute to salary. A goal is worth different things to different teams; some need scoring while some have an abundance. Some teams are contenders with a short window willing to take on expensive players on the wrong side of 30, and some are rebuilding. International slots (and quality of scouting) differ for everyone. That's not even touching rookie and veteran league minimums, HGPs, etc., that hit every club equally.

JC507 repped this.
  10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always enjoy seeing that Bobby Boswell is making $170,000 more than our all everything Brian Ching, specifically sense both run at the same pace these days. Sigh.

Are you talking about the same Chabala that had the touch of a rapist in our team's pathetic display against FCD back in June???

So would Chuck Norris! Or have Craig Waibel come back to speak to the boys on occasions.

Chabala can be Diesel's back up then.

Not having a go at ya Red but Chabala's form as of late speaks to a guy that is just going thru the motions, pulling his paycheck while focusing more on dickin' blondes rather than droppin' bombs out on the terrain of play.

11. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not an unfair point, but really read through what I'm saying.

I'll just quote a fellow member on the Frisco USOC match, but there's a wider view here:
    Dom can bring in a whole host of other guys for $55k, and they may get similar production. That was in my initial post. However, it's not a stretch to say that what he brings off the pitch is worth the extra $10k-20k they're spending on a veteran instead of a marginal academy player or recent draft pick. That was also in my initial post.

Does Chabala know how to have a good time? Sure. He also knows how to show up and work hard. He may have his reckless moments, and he'll never be the most skilled player on the field. He will be there, and when he does play, he'll hustle. Then he'll sign some autographs to boot. If he goes out to the bars afterward, that's his choice. As long as he's there the next day, he's more than earning his keep. That's not an awful example to set for other young, single professional athletes trying to balance work and play.

JC507 repped this.
  12. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hydro, Markov41 and Heft repped this.
  14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so colors are positions
    blue = forward
    green = foward/midfield
    yellow = midfield
    orange = defense/midfield
    red = defense
    pink = d/f??
    grey = GK

15. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Here's a "find your MLS club" generator. Interesting indeed. There isn't enough criteria to accurately select a team for you, but it's still fun.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2013/8/12/4615504/mls-12th-man

With that said, I did it twice and mixed my answers up a bit and both times I ended up with a 100% match to Vancouver Whitecapes FC. It was a measly 10% for our beloved orange.

16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Mine generated FCD. Something is not right with that generator. I'm not a moron loser.

17. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I got Chivas. WTF!?

18. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    In that case, I am fine with Vancouver!

19. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apparently am LAG fan.

Who wants to shoot me first

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    SPOILER (Highlight to read):

1. Old Man Hair
    2. Sprawling Hills
    3. Sky Dive
    4. Beer and Chili Dog
    equals

Dynamo!!!

Don't ask me why.

Levy2k6, redinthemorning and Heft repped this.
  21. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you guys got the email today but here's the Renewal information if anyone is curious

Houston Dynamo Renewal

Video (sent in email)

http://pdl.vimeocdn.com/67264/268/1...7d4a6cf444f46d9e&aksessionid=fdc7b15c07ec5c41

BUT WHERE ARE THE PLAQUESSSS

23. Levy2k6

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video to get you pumped up for tomorrow

24. Levy2k6