2013 Hot Seat or Getting Warm Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Your keyboard must be stuck. All I got was initials.

2. IrishBias

IrishBias New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    In our family decision, Randy and staff was 10%, the fact they were champs 10% and that it was Notre Dame 80%. Irony is Dartmouth was the 2nd choice.

3. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    IPFW has just as good an opportunity to win Summit as anyone. I think it's a tough place to recruit to and I mentioned that in an earlier post, but they have a few descent local clubs to draw from in Fort Wayne.

Coach Saurin (sp?) did a good job while she was there but I think left the job half done. If I were a young coach I would look at the location as pretty descent in getting players from Indy, Michigan and N. Ohio as I think there is a pretty strong talent pool. If I were interviewing I would put a lot of stock in recruiting abilities.

4. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    IPFW could win the Summit - if Denver decides to move to a different conference. And don't anyone go off on the "on any given day...." rant....yes I know all that - 90% of the time it won't happen with Denver in the conference now. Prior to their arrival - of course they could. Leading one of the lowest funded D1 programs in the country, MS did a great job.

Norfolk, Lensois and Morris20 repped this.
  5. tkpeterson12

tkpeterson12 Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does one determine the funding levels for the various sports at the various institutions? I don't doubt what you're saying, I was just wondering if that type of information is documented somewhere or is it just a "reasonable guess" based upon some other factors?

6. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I don't know in this exact example for the Summit but.....
    Some schools will"tier" sports and decide to fully fund some sports and not others. Some conferences will do the same making women's soccer a "priority sport" or not. That would mean things like max scholarships, full time assistants, facility requirements, etc. Some conferences even have scheduling requirements.

In hiring and resources, the institution and conference priority for women's soccer means a whole lot. Some schools will use the mean or median salary in the conference as a guide in hiring and also in scholarship funding. So some schools are being dragged along by their conference to care about women's soccer while others are leading the way and even jumping conferences to "move up" for better scheduling and post-season opportunities, but of course, much of that is driven by the attraction of increasing basketball and football revenue (TV money and attendance boost).

If you could find the Conference By-Laws or an Operations Manual or minutes from their meetings, you'd have a good idea what any funding requirements or expectations might be. These docs are not always easy to find as not all these conferences are getting along all the time and like to share.

7. soccerkeeper1

soccerkeeper1 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Heard Phone interviews, and had some already on campus. The down side I heard is you have to teach a class or classes, and they want you to keep the current assistant on staff. But its a great job for someone?

8. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    UNLV........Whats the story there? Anyone?

9. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    What happened to Kirk Nelson at UNR? Where did he end up?

10. quikshot007

quikshot007 Member

Apr 4, 2006
    How is Oregon is already looking for a Assistant? Did Hideki get a Head Coaching Job somewhere?

11. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I put it up on the Stanford thread. He is taking over there as their GK coach after Jay Cooney left. Great move for him.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    He apparently wasn't fluent in Icelandic.

13. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dartmouth is interested in 3 so far. Asst from Purdue. Asst from Stanford. Present asst coach at Dartmouth. I'm sure a few more will be brought in.

14. 9feta

9feta Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I am curious how you would know this? Are you in their meetings? Or have they brought these individuals in for interviews?

15. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    This looks like the right forum to mention the coaches of two brand new D-1 women's teams.

Glad Bugariu at Texas Pan American and Toni Tommasi at Chicago State. Both will compete in the Western Athletic Conference(WAC).

midwestfan repped this.
  16. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    UIW is open (University of Incarnate Word)

17. midwestfan

midwestfan Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Two brand new programs. Good luck to the coaches. It's Tony though and not Toni. What does this mean for the WAC, typically not a strong conference and now with 2 new programs. I just looked them up and determined it means more dominance by Seattle U.

18. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford asst to Dartmouth.

juvenumber1 repped this.
  19. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    No one seems to have noticed that on 3/26 Long Island named Jim Robbins as their new head coach.

20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Wow. just took a quick look at him. I'm all for seeing d3 folks get these kind of opportunities but does this seem unusual? His team just had a losing record and only won 1 of their final 8 games in 2013. He must have interviewed really well. Most d3 folks like this don't even get a second look in d1 (these days). Wish him the best. That neighborhood in Brooklyn looks nothing like central Georgia!

21. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Tina Patterson retired after 20 years last November and 3 months later assistant coach Anne Felts is named the interim head coach. It looks like they probably searched for awhile and then named the assistant as the interim head coach and will see how she does this coming fall.

22. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Odd that they posted the job 4 months later. Anne felts is former UNC star so could be formality.

23. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    I agree seems like a strange hire but you bring up interesting topic! Which div2 and 3 coaches are ready to make the jump in the next year or so?

24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Eefallen, I had mentioned LIU on 3/15.

25. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    I just saw the 3/26 announcement by LIU and only searched back to 3/26 to see if anyone had posted. Anything prior to that date would have to be considered unofficial speculation.