2013 Hexagonal Draw and Schedule

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I have also seen Jamaica once in the USA with very little support... but I've read on BigSoccer, frankly, about that 1997 match in RFK. For example:
    I think it's worth being at least a little cautious about the possibility of Jamaica fans coming out in force for their first actual hexagonal WCQ in the USA since 2001.

I'm also, by the way, not saying that we should play Costa Rica in Torrance, California, with Costa Rican heritage celebrations at halftime. But I take it for granted that we've come a long way since 1985.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think as long as you avoid Florida and the Eastern Seaboard with Jamaica there isn't much to worry about. I really would love to see us use Houston's brand new beauty of a stadium for that game.

3. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Wikipedia agrees with you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_American#Settlement

4. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Don't forget to avoid Boulder, Colorado - tons of natty dreads up in that part of the country too

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle only sells around 40,000 tickets in an NFL stadium and they have the best atmosphere in the league.

6. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind they cover unsold seats so it makes it look better plus they have that half roof that reflects all the noise. You can tell how much the roof comes into play with that noise level there.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And Salt Lake City as well.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Good data.

Although a bit incomplete, in that the above numbers only include the "foreign-born" population.

Many of these fans (of other/foreign NTs) coming to US home soccer matches but cheering for the away team are not 1st generation immigrants. There are significant numbers of folks who still prefer their parents' (or their grandparents' or beyond) homeland team to the NT of their place of birth (the USA).

Although, the "foreign-born population" would be a good indicator of the relative size of the (potential) fanbase for each CONCACAF national team.

In many ways, most of the US Soccer fanbase are immigrants themselves (or going back some number of family generations) -- and the USMNT might honestly be their "second favorite" or "tied first first favorite" national team (except when their playing my family's "homeland" team).

But US Soccer is doing a very decent (if incrementally sluggish) job of growing the US Soccer fanbase -- and of course continued success on the field (such as qualifying for the WC and advancing some distance through it) helps to push the US Soccer team to be more fans' "team of choice."

9. Schoey

Schoey Member

Apr 12, 2001
    San Anselmo, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the WCQ'er, US v CR in Utah. Outnumbered them 50 to 1. I'm good with that.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Other than the "we are all immigrants" refrain, I wouldn't say most US fans are immigrants or children of recent immigrants.

The biggest demographic skew that is obvious is that the fanbase is overwhelming young.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yes.

And many of the fans of the game (yet fans foremost of other NTs) are immigrants or children of recent immigrants (or not-all-that-recent immigrants).

Agreed.

Although, I'd guess that (possibly significantly) more than half of US soccer fans also have (potentially strong) ties to (and some level of fandom for) some foreign national team(s) (and in many cases that additional/other fandom is an inherited fandom in some sense).

12. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I was at the WCQ in Washington DC, USA-Costa Rica. I suspect the crowd was pro-USA enough for anyone...

13. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea why the U.S. flag is on the logo for the Copa Centroamericana?

[​IMG]

Real Corona repped this.
  14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to discount that there is plenty of support for the US team from immigrants and their children. It's just that from casual observation they do not seem to make up most (ie 50+%) of the US team fanbase. I would categorize the US fan base as generally younger and well educated. Most fans have been abroad or lived abroad in some capacity and had experience with the rest of the world. That in part can account for additional fandom of foreign national teams. I for example lived in Ukraine for a significant period of time and spent plenty of time with fans watching the national team there. I'd consider it my second favorite national team despite having zero genetic connection to the country.

A significant portion of the US fanbase is certainly from the 1st or 2nd generation immigrant group, there is no doubt about that. I just doubt they exceed 50%. I could be completely off by this as it's only based on what I've observed.

15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Agreed, with the note that I was additionally talking 3rd and 4th generation "immigrant" status, and beyond as well, when I earlier wrote "going back some number of family generations."

Real Corona repped this.
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    A vestige of the long-time Panama Canal area control?

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its funny, I grew up on the east coast and I never observed what you wrote about. There were a couple USMNT fans, but non of them had significant ties to other countries. Most of them had traveled abroad on vacation, but those experiences had nothing to do with their interest in US soccer. Being aware of the rest of the world was just valued in that culture. It was part of school and it was part of home life. Part of that world awareness was knowing about international soccer.

However, when I moved to Wisconsin, I noticed exactly what you are talking about. Almost everyone I know here that likes US Soccer has lived abroad, had recent ancestry from another country, or had an "international soccer experience" while in another country. The focus here is the packers. Why would you care about anything else? :p

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to disagree. You remember that much of our country don't have passports. I used to live 20 miles from the Canadian border and many Americans there had never been to Canada. Traveling abroad is exactly what I'm talking about.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What am I missing about living in Wisconsin? Seems like the place to be.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you don't want to buy beer after 9pm.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    So the coach Jorge Pinto pointed out today that USA have a very hard time playing at Saprissa Stadium... so guess where the US will be playing Costa Rica on their away fixture?? Thats right.. Estadio Saprissa.

22. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're doing one in SLC(and i hope so), i would say the jamaica one would have the most pro usa crowd.

23. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, well I grew up in Boston metro west where the average household income is $200k a year. I didn't know one kid without a passport. Almost every person I knew had been to Mexico, the Carribian, Canada, and Europe. Many of them had gone to Asia as well.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that is not very typical of the entire country. Those are the kind of people I am talking about who would likely be soccer fans.

25. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too surprised with this I mean why would Costa Rica change stadiums when we have never won at Saprissa ever? Klinnsy's in for a rude awakening when we head to Costa Rica for a away Hex, believe me those fans are going to make his life a living hell.