News: 2013 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ceezmad, Nov 26, 2012.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're compairing us to Man U, last time I checked they finish in the top 5 every year. We qualified for the first time in three years and went one and out. If we played to win instead of playing not to lose, maybe just maybe we could be in the top 5 in our league every year.....

So you rather have him contimue to play, instead of possibly getting somebody that could do better and make the team better (captain or not). Great if Frankie isn't going to bench him, then throw him out there in a 4-4-2 formation (one defensive midfielder) and see how he and we do. If it works GREAT, I'd be happy as shit, if not get somebody that can. I'm tired of us playing defensive all the time, I miss the early years when we were the ones putting pressure on the other teams.

2. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We do know what we can do in that formation: not much. As you noted above, we did switch to a diamond 4-4-2 frequently when we were trailing late last year. We were completely ineffective in it.

3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many points would we have finished with if we didn't change to a 4-4-2 formation? We came back to tie or win 8 or 9 games switching to a 4-4-2 formation. So if it wasn't for us changing to a 4-4-2 formation we wouldn't of made the playoffs......

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I'm comparing us to the first team that came to mind, and an example everybody knew. There are plenty of teams at every level and every league that play captains past their prime for sentimental reasons rather than tactical ones. Zanetti is another one at Inter. Their defense would be much better with somebody younger/quicker. But Zanetti is a legend. Tottenham played Ledley King on one knee for several seasons until he bowed out.

5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So than we are in agreement, Pause is doing more harm than good.

6. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a pretty bold move by the Fire to part ways with Pause (see ya Pardo too).
    Paladini is going to that roll tho.

Give the captaincy to Arne for this year, he retires at the end and Berry takes over. He's the future captain anyways.

Getting rid of those 2 CDM will mean you have to have that one guy come in who is capable of making things happen. You have to go for Kaka or Lampard. Bring Grazzini back, sure, and you have your 3 in the mid special.
    4-3-3 all day.

7. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know it wouldn't happen but how about getting Darren Bent as our new DP player. I think he could be Keane type of money player, he scores goals and can play off of 'Ole Macdonald. I know our owner wouldn't do that but I think it could be a great move and I thought before he talked about wanting to come here at some point and play but I cant find it so maybe I'm thinking of another player.

8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I don't necessarily think he is doing more harm than good, but he does prevent us from playing only one d-mid. Same as Pardo. They both are good players, but neither can play the position by themselves

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point, as long as Pause starts we will be forced to play a two defensive midfielder formation (playing not to lose, instead of playing to win).

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not agree that Pause can not play CDM by himself, it depends on the other midfielders around him.

If we are going to play a bunch of players that can't help on defense and expect Pause or any other CM to do all the work of recovery then no, that will fail.

If we put Pause at CDM and then two CM next to him then yes I think he could do it.

Nyarko has improved a lot on his defense but he is not a natural midfielder, Alex I am not sure if he can be a good CM, he probably prefers to play more forward.

Any offense that puts 5 offensive players and only 1 Midfielder capable to defend will end up in failure IMO.

11. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With what is happening in Honduras we need to join Seattle and Toronto and try to bring in some of these young national team players who aren't being paid.

12. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Playing 2 DM's is not playing not to lose, and I thought we played for the win everytime we got on the field last year. Pause as our captain is a problem though, and I think our coach agrees, he took him off at halftime when we were down 1-0 in our most important game last year. Pause cannot be an automatic start, he is not nearly good enough. It's hard to sit a captain.

13. oh hey it's this bullshit again, happy new year guys

Chris M. and bunge repped this.
  14. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My new years resolution ; not give in to a certain persons pause obsession.someone is either has a psychotic obsession or is single handidly the greatest troll in the history of bigsoccer and possibly the internet.with that happy new year..******** ruiz and ******** Florida state .

15. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    happy new year to you too...

and what is this bullshit you're talking about?

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Q: Obraniak?

A: Yes!

Pluses:
    Attacking midfielder/which the Fire sorely need (so much so, there is talk of bringing Grazzini back-which I would like, but Obraniak much more so).
    Right Age (28)
    Active National Team Player and a frequent starter (started all three games in Euro 2012)
    Polish

Negatives:
    He is under contract for 2 more years.
    His "transfermarkt.co.uk" value is 5.3 million pounds. No way any MLS team pays that. (By comparison, the entire Fire team is valued at 8 millions pounds).
    Although he is a Polish international, some of my Polish friends question his "Polish-ness" as he was born in France, never played in Poland, and only became a Polish citizen in 2009)

17. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only your Polish friends here (I'm assuming) but there were a lot of Polish national team fans in Poland questioning his squad appointment before the Euro 2012 Championship too. Citing his 'Polish-ness' .

Honestly though I can't see Andy paying his lofty price tag.

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Both here (mostly) and in Poland. However, he has played well in the Poland games that I have seen, so that counts for something, I guess.

Totally agree on Andy not being willing to pay for him.

19. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're looking at price though I'll put the name out there that I've mentioned before and maybe Andy would plunk the money down. Kamil Grosicki. Used to play for Jagiellonia in the Ekstraklasa until being transfered to Sivasspor in Turkey.

YouTube video:
    (Remember he's a midfielder/winger)

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the 5 million price tag is right, would that make him the highest transfer fee ever for MLS?

21. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think he'll be coming soon. I say maybe 2years. We (the league) need to offer bigger money and pay up the transfers to get rid of that tag as a retirement league.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    You do the math, but Robbie Keane was a 3.5M POUNDS transfer to Galaxy, which is more than $5M.

23. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    MLS website writers trying to boost hits with misquotes.no way is he on his way anytime soon.after world cup qualifiers and is contract ...yeah.

24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many times did we give up the first goal last year? 19,20,21.....our game plan was defend and counter them, that's playing not lose. If it wasn't for changing to a more offesive formation of 4-4-2 we wouldn't of qualified for the playoffs (2 DM formation must go).

Easy fix, make Arne the captain and then you can't use the captain excuse.....

Sorry, but I rather see us putting the pressure on the other team, than sit back and counter. I miss the early years when we were the feared team out there.....