News: 2013 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ceezmad, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK
    1. Sean Jonhson,
    2. Paolo Tornaghi

RB
    3. Steven Kinney

CB
    4. Arne Friedrich (just got his green card)
    5. Austin Berry
    6. Jalil Anibaba (RB)

LB
    7. Gonzalo Segares
    8. Hunter Jumper (CB)
    9. Tony Walls

RM
    10. Wells Thompson
    11. Patrick Nyarko
    12. Victor Pineda

CDM
    13. Logan Pause
    14. Jeff Larentowicz
    15. Daniel Paladini
    16. Michael Videria

CAM
    17. Chris Rolfe,
    18. Alex de Lima
    25. Corben Bone

LM
    19. Alvaro Fernandez
    24. Joel Lindpere

ST
    20. Kellen Gulley
    21. Dominic Oduro
    22. Sherjill McDonald
    23. Maicon Santos

http://www.chicago-fire.com/players

On Loan.
    Grazzini (Atletico Rafaela)
    Puppo (Defensor Sporting)
    Robayo (Millonarios)
    Barouch (Bnei Yehuda)

OUT
    D- Cory Gibbs (Retired)
    G- Jay Nolly (Free agent)
    D- Dan Gargan (San Jose Earthquakes)
    M- Pavel Pardo (Retired)
    F - Guillermo Franco (free agent on Dec 31st)

IN
    Maicon Santos (DC United)
    Joel Lindpere (Trade with NJRB)
    Jeff Larentowicz (Trade with Colorado Rapids)
    Yazid Atouba (MLS SuperDraft) [Not officially signed yet]

Is the Fernandez loan official? I did not find anything on the FIRE website.

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Not yet, though it sounds like everything is lined up and just needs the word. i wonder if Frank and Co. are holding off on the loan until the find a replacement, which they are supposedly looking for.

Kind of an odd situation to be going into training camp with

3. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salvatore Giuseppe repped this.
  4. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    This is huge. Now it makes sense what Frank said in the interview I posted above about Intl spots not being a problem. We now have three free. And, IMO are using the other three on very promising players, Tornaghi, Alex, and MacDonald. The only odd one is Tornaghi, but he was very strong in his limited time last season. If he wants to stay (why he came in the first place is curious) I think he would have a very good chance to take over from Johnson when he (probably inevitably) leaves in the next year or two. Also, if he wants to stay, Fire are probably working on his green card as well.

goldclover repped this.
  6. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

ah thats right...well hopefully when he comes back he can make an impact for us!

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is great news! I thought I was going to have marry him to help get a green card, although it is doubtful that Civil Unions would work, in a country that still has DOMA on the books. ;)

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It should be the best 11 players, if Larentowicz is better than Pause sits....

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three international spots, Arne Friedrich just got his green card...

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2013/01/arne-friedrich-receives-us-green-card

10. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    great news about Arne. Have to take exception with Rolfe being listed as a CAM (above). He is a forward. He can also play as a winger. He is absolutely NOT a CAM. If Rolfe plays any minutes as a CAM it would be a huge failure on the part of Kloppas and the club.

11. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many threads does this argument need to occupy?

anotherbodymurdered repped this.
  12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Captain's usually get a pass on the talent evaluations. Especially long serving ones, and as far as I can tell, only Pablo Mastroeni has been with a team longer than Pause (drafted by Colorado in 2002 after Miami was contracted). He is also the captain, but didn't play almost at all last season due to concussion issues apparently. Chad Marshall has been with the Crew 9 years, and played most of the games last season.

In fact, Logan Pause (as I have just painfully verified player by player) is tied for the second longest tenured player in MLS. Mastroeni has been with the rapids since 2003, Pause and Matt Reis have been with their respective clubs since 2003.

Its actually kind of amazing to see how new most teams are. Galaxy had a lot of players that have been there from 2009 or 2010, but most teams barely had one guy that's been with them longer than 3 years, if that

13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give the captain's armband to Anre Friedrich, problem solved... The only reason he has it anyways is because he's the longest serving FIRE player...(he's only been captain for two years that's not long serving)

14. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not a fan of giving the armband to a guy who is leaving next winter. I feel pretty strongly the next captain should be Rolfe.

15. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, but whether it was hamlett, cdlc or klopas they all thought he was a leader among players. Not to mention the number of players that hold him up as a massively positive influence on and off the field. The fact he's longest fire player serving never seemed the issue

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Yeah he clearly is a great leader on the team, regardless of what anyone thinks of his play. The longest serving Fire player and captain thing were really two separate points. Its had to bench anyone who has been at the club for 10 years, and its hard to bench captains. Pause is both of those things.

He was around to see this club win things, and knows the mentality that it takes. Not many others on the team do

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok he's a great guy, but that dosen't mean that he should start over a better players. I would think the team would come first, but oh well......

18. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying he's the top option nor the only option merely pointing out between players and coaches they all agree he's quite the leader. You certainly have a history of not liking Pause, I am merely pointing out that with every coaching change Pause has remained the same.

bunge and loonixxx repped this.
  19. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    That's because you have at least some semblance of intelligence.

Chris M. and loonixxx repped this.
  20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  21. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pause has just about broke even on good and bad plays in his long tenure with us...the problem as I see it is if you want to play with 2 CDMs, you must also have a RB and a LB that can play the entire sideline for 90 minutes...true 2 way players...and we don't have that...also, when we're pushing for a goal or two, and our captain is wide open, and the player on the ball doesn't think passing the ball to the captain is a good option, then looks for a better option...there is something not quite right about that...so the options we have are clear...with 2 CDMs we could change to a 3-5-2 formation...or we can get a RB and LB that are true 2 way players...or we can change to a 4-1-2-1-2 formation and let our CDMs take turns...or we could just stay the coarse and be a strong defensive side with a limited counter attack...then we can try to eek out 1-0 victories...

23. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have my moments

bunge repped this.
  24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I
    I'm not the only one that thinks tha way, I'm just the only one that has the balls to say it. All I heard from the most of you is if we had a better option then he should be replaced, well we have a better option.

25. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you arent the only one who thinks it, although you certainly havent been the only one to voice it as well. Larentowicz isn't flat out a better option, in all honesty you could make arguments for both Larentowicz and Pause. I have voiced my hope of a 1 DM lineup and if Larentowicz starts over Pause i wont have any issues with it. Will he start over Pause? I'm not sold he would, but that's not to say he wont start... :-/

But my point was clearly Pause brings something to the table you dont recognize as he's been a consistent starter with at least the last 3 coaches.