News: 2013 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by ceezmad, Nov 26, 2012.

1. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you would be wrong, just watch some of his games. He's more of a destroyer than Pause and on top of it he could get forward and help out the offense.

Our 2013 starting lineup with a 4-4-2 formation....

---------macDonald--------------------Rolfe---------

--------------------------Lindpere---------------------

----Alex---------------------------------Nyarko----

-----------------------Larentowicz-------------------

---Segares-------Berry--------Arne------Anibaba---

-------------------------Johnson-----------------------

Subs:Tornaghi, Oduro, Santos, Pause, Paladini, Jumper, Kinney

Man we don't have many options on defense after the starting four....

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I ran the optimism thread last year. No reason I don't plan on doing it again this year.

In all likelihood, no he won't get over 20. But I think anything less than Oduro's 12 two years ago would be considered to few.

3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if you team up MacDonld and Rolfe uptop they could combine for 25+ goals.

goldclover repped this.
  4. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I thought Rolfe had turned the corner last year to become a consistent scorer, then he disappeared down the stretch. If he can stay consistent and healthy he will crack the 10 goal mark, something he has yet to do in his career.

5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go with 14 goals, if Frankie plays him uptop with MacDonald in a 4-4-2 formation....

goldclover repped this.
  6. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joel isn't rocking LM here and we don't know the plans for Alex and Rolfe. They could be the wingers with all the new CM additions.
    Rich Balchan is also here and should be a good candidate to make the squad at CB/WB coverage.

7. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    The Optimism Thread Rules!! Double negatives are cool too.:thumbsup:

8. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't call Oduro quality. Maybe if it was for a race but for a striker no haha. Rolfe I know he can play up top but I'd like to see in the midfield and Macdonald I know he's good but I think we should pair him up top with someone who can finish. A winger would be good though as well.

9. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know Oduro isn't 'quality per se as a striker but his speed does make a huge factor on a game. I like the idea of him with Mack causing fits with defenses or on wing opposite Nyarko. He does make a difference and funny how everyone doesn't seem to think his 12 goals mattered when how many in history of Fire have we had score that much? He may have blown a number of shots but unlike Barrett he actually did score a lot also. And Oduro manufactured goals solely because of his speed. Frankly, until we get better and I mean actual proof not just 'well he is better' but he has never actually scored more...use Oduro.

Chris M. repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well stated.

If Alex is not ready to be starter, I think Oduro should play on the left, at least until the Fire find someone more suitable as a left wing player, his speed would be a great asset, especially with Nyarko on the right.

As for Oduro's defensive liabilities, he did track back quite a bit at the end of the season. While not a good defender by any stretch of the imagination, I think he would not be any worse than Pappa was defensively.

nowherenova repped this.
  11. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. Pappa was nothing special as a defensive player either and Oduro can at least release incredibly fast from set piece defenses. If we are wanting Sega to overlap more then our RB I would even switch Oduro to RB and put Nyarko on LB. Nyarko can play either I think very well.

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Alex is not up to starting, try Oduro on the left. That would leave Santos as the first choice off of the bench at forward, not a bad option.

That would be a very good MLS line-up. Plenty of attacking options (including Larentowicz at DM, plus Segares and Anibaba are not bad moving forward). I am a bit concerned about Anibaba's defensive lapses at RM (play Pause there occasionally?).

As for your comment that there aren't many defensive options, there are Kinney, Jumper, and Walls. Also, we should not have much trouble picking up another defender; Tim Ward is available, knows the team, was perfectly adequate, is only 25 and would be pretty inexpensive.

Klopas is quickly building a very competitive MLS team. A team without stars, but a team with a fair amount of potential. If they jell, this could be a winning team.

13. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oduro/Nyarko/Rolfe/Failco/Pineda and new kid on wing and very important to switch sides throughout the game. L/R don't matter unless you are an extremely good crosser with one foot. Nyarko and Oduro switching sides will give them options with creativity and not be so predictable ie cut in or knock it wide.

xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, switching sides is part of the dynamic play that the Fire have lacked, and Fire fans have missed, for the past decade.

Lindpere, Rolfe, Nyarko, Alex, and, hopefully Oduro, can all do that.

If Oduro plays wide, he can move up top, while Lindpere can move out left, and Rolfe drops into the center.

Alex played central and wide last season.

Larentowicz can move forward as needed in a way that Pardo could no longer do very much and Pause is unable to do.

Hell, Paladini (off the bench) can play defensive midfield and in a more attacking role, if they let him.

15. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Some guy named Adam Jardy, who is a Crew beat writer for the Columbus Dispatch just said again today that the Crew and the Fire are still woring on the Duka trade. Said there was an agreement "in principle" on draft day. He said that the Crew have "field interest from several MLS teams but are 'focused on one opportunity' right now (Chicago)."

So don't get your hopes up on Oduro playing on the wing for us, because he was the player being mentioned as going to Columbus in that deal when they talked about it draft day

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinney hasn't played in two years, Jumper played a grand total of 48 minutes and Walls hasn't even made the bench yet. Frankie isn't known to make any kind of changes anyway, the time he does is because of suspension or injury.

17. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming Lindepare is the playmaker and Larentowicz will be box to box with Pause as the screen. Alex and Paladini filling in. Don't want to insert the others since they were not 1st teamers.

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I was under the impression that Lindpere was more of a true CM and not a CAM type playmaker though...Either I'm wrong and he can play in the Blanco/Grazzini role, or you have a field overloaded with CMs, which is never going to work.

I don't think we will see those three on the field at the same time. My guess its its Larentowicz who gets dropped, though depending on how Larentowicz adapts to the team, I think that Pause is probably the one who should go, if only he didn't have the captains armband and basically represent the face of the club.

19. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until Pause isn't playing, he has to be considered in the S11. Screen is the only roll he can do so unless we are doing 2 of them ignoring the reasoning behind it last year (Berry was a rookie), I can't list Larentowicz to hold.

If you are on the 4-3-3 bus and you are benching Pause, you have to believe there is another big time Mid coming in.

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Interesting article on Atouba
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft...erdraft-fire-can-be-patient-draft-pick-atouba

Despite trading two away, Klopas says we don't have any problem as far as international spots go, and that if he's good enough, we have space to keep him and let him develop.

Which is good because, if he is the real deal, "He can play on the left and the right. He has speed" and " the kid has some qualities. He's fast, he's a very good one-on-one player, and I think he's got pace at wide. In the Combine, when you saw him have opportunities to take players one-on-one, he wasn't hesitant. He's got international experience." sounds great.

Also restates that Flaco is likely to leave, and that the Fire are looking for a replacement

21. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Frank has a whole stable of midfield guys who would love to be out on the wing. Between Paladini, Alex, Bone, etc there are plenty of guys who can create and be a threat bombing into the box on attack and will still be willing to hustle back and help out on defense better than Pappa ever did. I am hoping Frank has at least one more big announcement before the transfer window closes but if nothing at all happens I wouldn't be surprised. Unfortunately Nyarko is the best dribbler despite his anemic shot and any other guy on the team occupying that opposite wing is probably going to have a better shot and weaker dribbling skills. Interesting situtation to watch unfold.

22. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only thing i want Oduro for is for late in the games if we need speed up top to hit him with passes, but we just need another guy just as fast so once Oduro ********s up the chance we have someone to finish it haha.

In all seriousness though, I hope Pineda has a strong camp and he can get some playing time with us. Also I don't know much about Duka just that he is young, plays on the wings and had potential but struggled in Columbus. I like Firefan's lineup but did Alex play LM for us last year or did he play more centrally, I cant remember because we can't just be slotting players into positions they haven't played as much before in haha

23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    He played at LM a couple of times between Pappa and Flaco's times, but mostly he was used as a quasi d-mid during the Pardo and Pause absences.

24. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whens he expected to return from surgery? thought he'd be out for another 2-3 months, but i could be wrong

25. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago