2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal of the tournament :thumbsup:

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Uruguay salvaging a draw after being outplayed by Cote d'Ivoire with the last kick of the game. End score 1:1. In the process proving that Uruguay isn't as strong as the New Zealand whallop could suggest. This does suggest that Cote d'Ivoire and Italy should easily beat New Zealand, but you never know.

Slovakia vs Honduras 2:2 - so Slovakia is on the verge of elimination, while Honduras are basically through (Brasil next, but 4pts should be enough).

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay were not outplayed by Cote d'Ivoire. Cote d'Ivoire's only goal came off a deflection.

4. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    That's Zahzah. We're used to that. :rolleyes:
    I dont know what game he watched. The Ivory Coast got a fluke goal in the first half and just sat back and cynically fouled all game with the complicity of the ref. I thought I was watching Italy play.
    Serves them right.

5. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I hope we keep getting outplayed then.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yes, they were. First half ended 9 shots on goal Cote d'Ivoire and 2 shots on goal Uruguay. Uruguay were allowed back into the game by Cote d'Ivoire and some terrible defending, but Uruguay hardly deserved the result. I do agree that Cote d'Ivoire only have themselves to blame, because they let Uruguay back in play.

Cote d'Ivoire aren't a pretty team to wacth. Destructive, lacking a cutting edge, overall not impressed, but teams like Italy and Cote d'Ivoire are the only ones that seem to stand a chance against Nigeria and Brasil.

EDIT: You may call me biased but the commentator on FIFA basically said the same thing. Uruguay were getting next to no penetration, apart from freekicks and Cote d'Ivoire seemed to be cruising to a win. Yes, the game had two fluke goals, but Cote d'Ivoire's came after a period of dominance. Uruguay's just happened.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    ROTFL. That's hilarious coming from a Uruguayan fan. The masters of timewasting and cynical fouls.

8. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    BIASED!

Gonchi and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm biased? Is FIFA biased?

I was watching the same game FIFA was. I have no idea what game the Uruguay bandwagoners were:

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/matches/round=259263/match=300254813/summary.html

"A late equaliser from Franco Acosta in Ras Al Khaimah saw Uruguay rescue a point (1-1) against a Côte d'Ivoire side that were better for the vast majority of the Group B contest. (...) But Uruguay, who really looked out of the game for most of the second-half, had a bit of good fortune in the final seconds to rescue a point."

10. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    About as telling as ball possession. Uruguay had 4 clear chances to equalize in that first half, two headers went narrowly wide, a shot hit the post, and a one on one that would have been a certain goal that was wrongly called offside. Don't feel like Ivory Coast did much after getting that fluke goal, they wasted a clear chance right after and then sat back trying to counter without causing much danger besides a shot that hit the post in the second half that came out of nowhere. If that was getting outplayed then like I said, I hope other teams outplay us like that.

Guess you can write Ivory Coast off then.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    ROTFL. Uruguay fans are the funniest bunch. I'll just repeat the quote:

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/matches/round=259263/match=300254813/summary.html

"A late equaliser from Franco Acosta in Ras Al Khaimah saw Uruguay rescue a point (1-1) against a Côte d'Ivoire side that were better for the vast majority of the Group B contest. (...) But Uruguay, who really looked out of the game for most of the second-half, had a bit of good fortune in the final seconds to rescue a point."

---

You know Cote d'Ivoire stand a chance against Brasil and Nigeria? Because they are a great destructive team. Terrible to watch because of it, but the fact the twice managed to limit the amount of goals scored by Nigeria (who were cruising against all other teams and now against reigning champions Mexico) mean they must be doing something right.

12. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    If anything that quote works in favor of my argument. Uruguay is hardly a creative or offensive powerhouse, if Ivory Coast couldn't hold a result against us, after apparently dominating the game, then I don't see how they stand much of a chance against better sides, however destructive they are.

Are the players that won the title for Mexico two years ago in this team? FIFA should come down hard on them then. If not, then Mexico being reining champions doesn't really mean much of anything.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well... they managed to win the African championship ahead of the freescoring Nigerians as well as Ghana, Morocco and Tunisia. They did it by scoring a miniscule 5 goals in 5 games (as compared to 18 in 5 scored by the rampant Nigerians).

This Cote d'Ivoire team is hardly a creative or offensive powerhouse as well. They are a 1:0 project side. They play ugly football and for the most part are efficient at it (despite several embarassing defensive lapses).

Cote d'Ivoire may even win the title playing like this. I surely hope not, but the real test starts in the knockout round (BTW Uruguay en route for a meeting with Mexico in the 1/8 final and Brasil in the 1/4 final).

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This is why its ridiculous to give NZ an automatic spot in every under17 and under20 tournament. It upsets the balance of the tournament because now all 3 teams that got drawn into New Zealand's group are basically assured a spot in the second round (due to having at least 4 points and an awesome goal difference)

15. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Well, anything can happen in a knock-out game, and consistency isn't a staple of youth tournaments. I have a hard time imagining Brazil being as wasteful as Uruguay were today though.

FIFA should really push for OFC to qualify through AFC.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so you get 4 points when you beat New Zealand?

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well well well...
    After being ridiculed as outliers in the group it's still 0:0 after 35 minutes and New Zealand missed a PK...

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well... Nigeria are as ruthless as Brasil if not more and they only managed to score 1 goal in 2 games against Cote d'Ivoire.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well now that the other match ended in a draw...

But even 3 pts is usually enough to advance if you have a great GD.

If NZ is adequate they deserve to be here, but we simply don't know until after they've "qualified" since they don't have to prove their worth like every one else.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Brasil making easy work of the hosts: Boschilia 2 and Nathan with 1 - 3:0 half time.

---

NZ being dominated, but Italy have little clue offensively. Together with Cote d'Ivoire arguably the most ugly teams to watch at this competition.

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL - so is New Zealand Italy's new bogey team?

22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Vido with another 'right after the break' goal... Italy 1:0 up.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uh-oh... might we be getting a repeat of this?

[​IMG]

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Just short... but you got a repeat of the Slovakia score.

Brasil cruising.

Italy eeked out a 1:0 win and honestly they looked as uncomfortable in that game as they did against Cote d'Ivoire. I would even go as far as to say New Zealand were much closer to tying the game than Cote d'Ivoire were... Nonetheless I stand with the statement that Italy and Cote d'Ivoire will be two teams that will be very hard for anyone to break down and they will fancy their chances against tournament favorites much more than any other team.

Italy vs Uruguay will be a very important game. The winner of the group will avoid the Brasil bracket as well as other tournament favorites. That is - apart from Nigeria, but the earliest they can meet Nigeria is the semifinal.

25. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    hope the brazilian kids stay firmly on ground after the 2 matches with 6-1 results.

very easy games but they should NOT think they are better than they really are, when going to elimination rounds and facing better teams.