2013 FIFA Club World Cup: General In-Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Press conference with interesting quotes:
    http://www.fifa.com/clubworldcup/news/newsid=2243290/index.html
    So it looks like hosting rights will continue to be awarded for back-to-back tournaments. I suppose that also means the format is likely to stay the same. China (next to India) confirmed as being interested. In my opinion China should get either 15/16 or 17/18 - the time is right for them.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Raja-Auckland Attendance: 34,875

While the organizers exaggerated the ticket sales for the first match it was still the highest attendance to date for the Host-OFC playoff match since it was introduced in 2007. The quarterfinal double-header in Agadir should definitely sell out, especially since Guangzhou and Ahly will also be bringing a few thousand fans.

3. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    There are no number on how many Guangzhou fans that made the trip but Al Ahly brought with them 2000 fans from Cairo according to Moroccan media. Atletico Mineiro is bringing 10.000 fans while Bayern are expected to bring along 7.ooo. No numbers from the Mexicans.

The final and Bayerns semi-final match are already sold out according to the organizers, while I expect a sell out for the two games on saturday in Agadir.

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to mediotiempo, around 500.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Good to see a strong Bayern presence. That's the best traveling support from Europe since Inter Milan brought around 3,000 fans to the UAE in 2010. Of course the proximity helps.

I'm sure Guangzhou filled whatever ticket contingent was allocated to them by FIFA. Evergrande often pays for the travel of its supporters, also in the AFC Champions League. Must be nice!

PS: moved the highlights to the match-specfic thread.
    Monterrey fans must be pretty broke after traveling to Japan two years in a row. :D

6. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    According to an unofficial Guangzhou account on twitter, about 100 supporters will travel from China while around 200 Chinese working in Morocco may join them. I guess Evergrande took some heavy losses sponsoring the away trips in Asia :D

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #57 Nico Limmat, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    That can't be right. I would expect at least 1,000 Guangzhou fans, maybe more.

(Maybe 100 paid for it themselves. :D)

As for Bayern's arrival in Morocco, it's now confirmed on the FCB website. They will travel tomorrow evening, right after the Bundesliga match against Hamburg.

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I was given different info in the Bayern forum here. Thanks for that.

9. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Funny how Guardiola had to explain to the German journalists in his weekly press conference today that the World Club Cup is somewhat important in other continents. Looks like the German public is so far largely uninterested but the players are fired up, they want to win it and I hope the public interest in Germany comes around once Bayern start playing

10. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
  11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I'm sure the interest will come round, I guess though that the public take it a day at a time, they have to get Bundesliga games out the way first.

The good thing is, this might just get the German interest which might just take that interest onto future competitions, even without German representation - might even make them want to be hosts, thinking along the lines that they won't get a world cup for many a year, so why not go global on the club game?

12. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Btw, do you know if British TV are showing it? Sky, BT perhaps?

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I'm not aware of any channel showing it in the UK...... I will use www.usagoals.com to catch matches on the net.
    Eurosport was my best hope but a quick glance of their TV guide brings nothing

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    More frequent participation would help I'm sure. The last time Bayern played the Weltpokal (as the Intercontinental Cup was known in Germany) was in 2001. I for one could certainly get behind more German presence, this is the third consecutive time a Swiss player is on the team. :D

1997: Borussia Dortmund (Stephane Chapuisat)
    2001: Bayern Munich (Ciriaco Sforza)
    2013: Bayern Munich (Xherdan Shaqiri)

The reality is until other confederations develop "Superclubs" with globally well known players the competition will always struggle a bit to get mainstream attention in Europe. As long as the clubs and players involved care about the competition that's all you need to make the tournament viable.

The rest is "nice to have" and will come with time.

15. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Chapuisat, what a great player he was, thanks for bringing back memories. :)

I think any sport competition needs to have some pedigree and tradition first before the world truly accepts it as a contest everybody wants to win. After all it took the World Cup a few attempts too before it was fully accepted by all. Bayern didn't have the easiest relationship with the old intercontinental cup. The first two times they refused to play ( a common occurrence in those days due to often bad sportsmanship of the SA teams during those days and the lack of any real recognition for winning it. In other words you had everything to lose and nothing to gain). The third time they ended up playing and won easily but vowed not to play again should they qualify ( the total lack of interest in Germany resulted in only 4,000 spectators for the match in Munich while the return leg to brazil was costly so the whole experience was a big loss to them). The Toyota cup rejuvinated interest in Europe as it was a far more lucrative and exciting affair and Bayern ended up winning that in 2001. So of the four previous European Cup wins. Bayern ended up winning the. Intercontinental cup twice while not playing the other two occasions

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yeah, we spoke about the struggles of the competition in the 70's earlier in the thread. Bayern could be in the air as we speak, they beat Hamburg 3-1 in their final domestic match of 2013 and will top the table next year even with a game in hand.

17. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    A
    and Shaquiri scored, perfect day for you :)

18. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is this tourney being televised in the US?

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yes. Fox Sports 1 & 2 (English) and Fox Deportes (Spanish)

(Click the TV Coverage link in the match threads)

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Deportes in Spanish.

21. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  22. MadridUSA

MadridUSA Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #72 MadridUSA, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Since general discussion on the format is allowed, here is how I think the Club World Cup should be changed so that it lives up to its name:

Make it a 16 team tournament after the European season ends, with 4 groups of 4 teams. Round robin in the first round, and group winners advance to the semi-finals, so that the tournament is only 5 games.

Teams who would qualify:

4 EUFA Champions League semi-finalists from the PREVIOUS year, as in the 2012-2013 semi-finalists would qualify for the 2014 tournament. Having them qualify from the previous year seems strange, but we already do that for the Champions League, it allows for qualification to be known well in advance, and, most importantly, it would allow for other qualifiers to go on during the season leading up to the tournament.

2 Copa Libertadores finalists (from the previous year, as the EUFA qualifying was, and as everything else will be.)

CONCACAF Champions League winner

AFC Champions League winner

CAF Champions League winner

OFC Champions League winner

The six remaining spots would require more intensive qualification. Each confederation would have one spot. To get these wildcard spots, each team would have to win a 8-16 team home and home knockout tournament played intermittently throughout the year. The spots in these tournaments would go to the quarter-finalists or whatever from the previous year's champions league tournaments.

For seeding, teams would be placed in 4 pots:

Pot 1: 4 UEFA semi finalists.

Pot 2: 3 COMMEBOL qualifiers and UEFA wildcard

Pot 3: 4 winners of the remaining champions leagues

Pot4: 4 wildcards from the remaining confederations

Confederation allotments and seedings can change over time.

Prize money would be high enough to make teams actually try to win.

23. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This could never happen, if you have to play 5 matches then the tournament would have to be around 3 weeks and it would clash with World Cups and continental championships

24. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Ugh, this already involves every single team on planet earth, yet people still keep posting suggestions on "expanding" it. smh

unclesox repped this.
  25. MadridUSA

MadridUSA Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It could be done within 2 weeks/3 weekends. First game of the group stage is the opening weekend. Second group game is midweek. Final group game is the second weekend. Semifinal middle of the second week. Final on the third weekend.

Still, your point is taken that it would be hard to find time for a tournament like this. I guess the answer is to compress the season or to move competitions around a week or two.