2013 FIFA Club World Cup: General In-Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 29, 2013.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Qualification for the Olympics is flawed in general. The teams that actually play at the Olympics are often vastly different to those that qualified. Nonetheless once a team actually qualifies they do send their best teams.

2. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but I was without internet access for a week, so sorry for bringing this up again. I would just like to point out that there are quite a few national teams. Most of whom schedule games during most international breaks. Sure the very best national players from all over the World generally play on European clubs, but not all of them. Yeah a club from Germany might have Germans, Turks, Swiss, Dutch, etc national teamers; but a Brazilian club might have Brazilian, Argentine, Uruguayan, Paraguayan, Colombian, etc national teamers. National teams consist of more than just the handful of stars on the European clubs. You have to consider the rest of the starting eleven plus the bench. Even a league like MLS has to deal with national teamers leaving to play for their countries. Just because MLS might have Jamaicans and Canadians, instead of Spanish or English leaving for their countries doesn't mean those guys don't count as national team players, and thus games they play for their national teams doesn't take a toll on them as well.

Your statement that players on European club teams have to deal with about 10 additional games due solely to representing their national teams is complete bunk.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think you're not taking into account the quote that aloisius was responding to...
    aka South American leagues continue to play on through international breaks.

So what I conclude when I combine both quotes is this scenario:
    -- Germany is playing this weekend, thus the Bundesliga stops its program and no matches are played.
    So while Bayern Munich may play 60 games in a year, a national team player would play (for example) 50 games for Bayern plus (for example) 10 national team games. (He's rested in the remaining 10 matches)
    -- Brazil is playing this weekend, but the Brazilan league plays on the same weekend.
    So while Atletico-MG may play 70 games in a year, a national team player may play 50 games for his club while 10 other games he would have played in are spent with the national team, who are playing simultaneously as Atletico. (He's rested in the remaining 10 matches)

4. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #329 themightymagyar, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Whoops, you're right. MLS has the same general problems as the Brazilian league, with playing through national breaks.

5. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding this.
    so he plays 50 for bayern
    10 for the national team
    rested for 10

he plays 50 for atletico
    then another 10 for Atletico during fifa dates
    rested for 10

this is the part i don't get... I'm not sure how it works in Europe, but in Brazil, if you're healthy you're playing, specially if you're a starter. Second If you get called up to Brazil, you might have this happen to you. Play Sunday for your club, play Weds for Brazil, play Sunday for your club.

you throw an extra game in there, happens all the time.

Read the thread about Bom Senso FC in the Brazil forum you'll understand how bad the players get in Brazil. This is something that's been going around for a long time, and now it's getting attention because more bigger names are coming back. Players sometimes play over 5 games a month! Think about this they are trying to get CBF to pass a rule that doesn't allow players to play over 4 games in 1 month, because it happens so often. Plus the travel times are a lot longer and they have what is called concentrations before the games, where a player checks into a hotel with the team the day before the game, spends the time with the team during match day and can't have visitors.

So if you're playing on Sunday away
    you Travel Friday
    Saturday to concentrate
    play sunday
    travel so you're back on monday - day off
    practice - tues
    practice - wed
    practice - thur
    practice / travel - friday
    concentrate - saturday
    play sunday

Now throw in a competition in the middle (like Libertadores or Copa do Brasil) and you have games on wed, which means you're concentration on tuesday and traveling on monday

plus the WC break which made the second half of the tournament this year have games every week on weds.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, that's not what I was saying.
    He plays 10 for Brazil even though Atletico are playing on those FIFA dates.
    I'm basically saying that leagues in South America (probably the whole of the western hemisphere) do not halt their domestic leagues when their national teams are playing, unlike in Europe where they don't play any league games on international dates.
    Thus, a player misses (for example) 10 games for Atletico due to being called up to the national team.
    I wasn't challenging what you had said. I brought up your quote which themightymagyar had overlooked when replying to aloisius. ;)

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Unak78 repped this.
  8. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    My only preference is that it doesn't go to a country like Japan who's hosted it before. It's time that the tournament gets around to different parts of the world like the World Cup does.