2013 expectations?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by local136RiverRat, Feb 20, 2013.

1. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a decent player and I wouldn't be in a hurry to deal him. If he were on a team like Portland or RSL he'd thrive as a spot starter & impact sub. But since the Union midfield exists only as a rumor, most of his ability is wasted. cf every tempo-setting player the Union has ever employed.

I think Marfan's last-minute All-Star appearance was probably the worst thing that could have happened for him, as it convinced everyone that he was at that level, when the truth is it was a matter of convenience.

2. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Chivas have any more first round picks we can heist?

3. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but they do have DC United's second round pick that they picked up for Casey Townsend. So at this point that would be #20, which might as well be a first rounder! I'd gladly fork over one of our hispanic players for that pick? How about we re-unite the wonder twins for it? Actually I'd give them their pick of any of our players that fit in to their "plan".

4. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farfan played best at RW. He hasn't really gotten a chance to play there since 2011. He needs space to operate. I never understood why Hack seriously thought Marfan could be a CAM. You would think that Hack would have learned from Piotr's mistakes. Marfan as a CAM was partially responsible for our poor form at the beginning of last year, and Marfan played his way out of that spot.

I still think he gives us a good wing option. He's a support guy, not the puppetmaster we need.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personalities aside, they're cut from the same managerial cloth. I feel like it can be attributed to their time together with the USMNT.

EmeraldDawn, BuddhaWake and Tyr repped this.
  6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when Torres was the best player on the team during the preseason? How many minutes has he even played this season (friendlies, MLS, and US Open Cup)?

Tyr repped this.
  7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a Hackworth apologist, but Torres was the "best player on the field" in preseason games against Toronto's second team and against Orlando City in a draw. He saw minimal time in a 4-0 loss to Columbus (30 minutes), a 2-0 loss to DC (8+ minutes) and a draw against Montreal (15 minutes). He did not play in the other game against DC.

SmashtheVan repped this.
  8. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's strange that just about every observer of the Union recognizes that we've generally lacked creativity in the midfield and are a mediocre offensive team (currently tied for 11th in goals scored with Houston and Colorado). Our top 4 assist providers include two defenders, a forward, and Le Toux. Yet Roger Torres has played less than a half of soccer this year and Kleberson has only 280 minutes. Compare that with the 3,300 minutes given to Keon Daniel and Michael Farfan (who have combined for 1 goal and 2 assists).

Clearly, Hack & Co are making this decision with defense in mind but we've also been mediocre defensively this year (tied for 10th in goals conceded with Columbus and RSL). I find it hard to believe that there weren't at least a few more situations where a creative midfielder might have helped. This is why Burke's comments about acquiring a #10 in the off-season strain credibility.

9. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needed room for Danny Cruz! So basically Farfan was no longer a RM and had to be constantly moved around and he has suffered for it. There is a much better line-up in this roster than is being put out week to week!!

cwelch999 and Tyr repped this.
  10. metsox

metsox Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wait, that's the reason that you think his comments strain credibility?

Not the fact that the team has allowed a manager to commit fraud on their watch, the constant lies, or the fact that they're claiming we're playing good soccer right now? The reason is because we haven't used a creative middie this year? For realz?

11. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, those are evidence of a pattern of dishonesty that goes back to the Nowak era. I've commented on it in the past. But I'm not sure what you're really getting at here to be honest. Are you arguing that the fact that we haven't used a creative midfielder this year has no bearing on attempts to evaluate the truthfulness of statements that the team is looking to acquire a #10 this off-season? It sure seems relevant...even if it's only one more brick in the wall the team seems to be building between itself and some of the fans.

Tyr repped this.