2013 expectations?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by local136RiverRat, Feb 20, 2013.

1. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    come on, not even more losses than ties? that's my expectation.

2. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Union are *much* better this year, and I don't think I would favor them against any of the eastern conference playoff teams, but their prospects are better this season for reasons totally unrelated to the team. I'm not optimistic about the team really, but for the season there are some reasons to think a playoff bid is in reach.

The east might 'flatten out' a bit this year. Columbus, NE, Montreal, Houston and the Union could all be better, which should make it harder for 3-4 teams to make it into the high 50s in points. NYRB will be worse for losing Cooper, but they'll still be playoff quality. Chicago, I don't know. I can't figure them out. Lindpere and Larentowicz are great pickups, but I don't know if they really address that team's problems. So it's possible mid 40s in points could get you into the playoffs, because outside of Toronto there aren't a bunch of teams that you can bank points on. The season really hinges on what the Union do against Chicago, Montreal, and Columbus.

The Union also have a beneficial schedule this year: we only get Columbus and Houston twice, but get Toronto, NE, and Montreal 3x. For the Western Conference games, 5 of 9 are at home, and the away matches are either lost causes anyway (RSL, SJ) or totally winnable (Colorado, Vancouver). Getting Seattle, Portland, Dallas and LA at home eliminates 4 of the top 5 home field advantages in the league.

Last year: 10-18-6, 36 points, 37GF 45 GA
    This year: 12-14-8, 44 points, 44GF 42 GA

henryo repped this.
  3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We start off like TFC last year and don't notch our first non-loss until the 10th game of the season.

I'm really starting to get the hang of this ultra-pessimistic mentality, and I LIKE IT! :devilish:

henryo and Handsome Pete repped this.
  4. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    its fun because it doesn't lead to disillusionment. Disillusionment leads to sadness and sadness is a human condition.

[​IMG]

henryo and Handsome Pete repped this.
  5. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #80 derek750, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    I thought this thread was worth revisiting. The Union have now fallen into 15th place in the league (7th in the Eastern Conference) with 5 games left in the season and a huge road game against Sporting KC on Friday. With a few good results, this team can still make the playoffs.

Has this year been better, worse, or about what you expected? Is there anything that would make you feel the team is making serious progress toward contending for MLS Cup?

Good calls.

:(

henryo repped this.
  6. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hrm. Going about as expected for me, except I thought we'd have fewer ties.

No, I don't think the team as currently constructed has a clear path to being a serious cup contender.

7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda had a feeling at the beginning of the year we'd be fighting for 4th or 5th place.

8. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was so naive.

9. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team can only go as far as its midfield can take it. They are at about where I anticipated in the table--to me the shock was how they did in the first half of the season.

Tyr and BuddhaWake repped this.
  10. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget where I predicted Marfan and Jack Mac would combine for 25 goals.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Typical philadelphia fan mentality negative. Just in their 4th year of existance drawing 18K for city who really never had any soccer success with a stadium in the burbs near two major roadways from soccer areas over the bridge in NJ and down 476 from the main Line, a 20 year old super star who led the team to a super first half of the season. Although they have fallen off in the second half they are still very much in playoff contention and a stadium specific to soccer with a great fan game experience

frobisherthepenguin1 repped this.
  12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 CyphaPSU, Sep 22, 2013
    Friend, the typical Philadelphia "mentality" demands wins. It's that passion for the home team which drives the Philadelphia fan, demanding a winner is what separates him/her from sports fans in many other cities. Winning is what creates the best "fan game experience" in the hearts and minds of most people in this town, and it has always been that way.

Being a newcomer to MLS hasn't appeared to be a problem for Vancouver, Montreal, or Seattle.

13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I live in the Philadlphia area just 10 minutes from the Soutn Phila complex my whole life and I also have been working in the city for about 20 years now I know all about the Philly fans. I am one

CyphaPSU repped this.
  14. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we lose our last five matches, we will have more points than last year. Not sure what position we would be in. But, it is not clear that this year is worse than last year. Maybe it just feels that way because of our recent results.

DaMunk repped this.
  15. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, yes they're in playoff contention, but if you look at the various threads I have started over the last few weeks, their statistical likelihood of making the playoffs based on their schedule and where they have to play those games and how their opponents typically play in those locations, it doesn't look good. Based on what I've analyzed of the Eastern Conference playoff contenders, I have is finishing sixth, level on points with Chicago but with one fewer win.

Secondly, show me one person that isn't immensely proud of PPL Park and the game day experience.

Handsome Pete, OwlSaver and BuddhaWake repped this.
  16. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I do believe this year is better than last year, but I wasn't expecting it to be so close.

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reality is that it's the supporters who make it such a great game-day experience (atmosphere). Not so much the team.

18. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right but he was talking about the fan mentality. The fact that the fans provide the game day experience only proves my point more.

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have been more specific, I was not correcting you. My point is that the same "negative" fans are the ones who actually create a fun atmosphere at PPL. Yet, we can still be critical of the shortcomings of the organization.

20. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #95 miked9, Sep 22, 2013
    FWIW:

RSL made the conference final in their 4th year in the league, won the MLS Cup the next, then almost won CCL the year after that. And they shared their expansion draft with another team.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #96 CyphaPSU, Sep 22, 2013
    And they were criticized early on for the youth approach to building a team, but they went out and brought some quality midfielders in to complete the squad--and look at the success it gave them. I can't imagine they have a much larger budget than does the Union, so there are legitimate questions for this front office about their capability to recognize deficiencies and ability to make changes to improve.

22. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also made money on their Adu transfer!

BuddhaWake repped this.
  23. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand by this prediction. Michael Farfan was a regular starter early this season, and has played himself out of the starting lineup and underneath Keon Daniel on the central midfield depth chart. In 1,600 minutes he has 1 goal and 1 assist. And nobody has stepped up to replace him.

If Farfan had developed into the attacking midfielder the Union thought he was going to be, capable of holding the ball in midfield and providing some service to the forwards and wings, the Union would probably be a few points ahead of where they are today, and in the playoffs.

With no real attacking skill in the central midfield...well, they are where they are.

DaMunk repped this.
  24. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, chapka. I had doubts about Michael Farfan going into the season (see this post for an example: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...rnational-player.1984275/page-9#post-27488601) but your statement that he would be crucial to the team's fortunes was spot on. The frown was about how poor he's been this season, not the accuracy of your prediction.

25. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marfan's first season was good and he's been in a slow decline since then. His technical ability is sound but his decision making is poor and he shows a complete lack of urgency when moving the ball forward. Hopefully he'll be traded during the offseason as he still has some value.