2013 expectations?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by local136RiverRat, Feb 20, 2013.

1. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he scored 8-12 goals with 9-13 assists is that underwhelming? Just trying to get a gauge of what is not a good enough season for Seba.

2. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw a Tweet yesterday that said there was only 200 seats left for the opener. (Can't find Tweet)

3. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I don't care for the Eagles nor the NFL, how was their attendance at the later part of the season (I know their season was crap)? I am talking about what the TV screens showed because the official turnstile numbers always show sellout. Give me the eyeball test number if you will.

4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think peoples' views of him (at least on here, I can't speak for Facebook) are a lot more tempered than they've been in the past.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  5. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see all these comments about so and so is better or worse than so and so. Good information but, that is not the only thing that will impact our season. What are the players like working as a team? How are the fans going to support the team? How is the scouting and planning for our opponents?

In Florida, I saw a lot of shatter and support between the players. Yes, it was pre-season and the games did not count. But, everyone was trying to prove their place on the team. So, I think the team chemistry is at least good if not great. Note also that at the start of last year we had lost players, we had a crazy coach, and there was dissention in the locker room reported. This does not seem to be happening this year. Keeping Adu out of the locker room may have a big positive affect on the team chemistry.

I am worried about fan support. Maybe getting LaToux back is all that is needed. I think the fans (both those with high and those with low soccer IQ) want to see Torres on the pitch. Starting Roger in all home matches would go a long way to build fan support of the team.

I do not expect our planning for opponents to be any better this year.

In summary, I think some of these intangibles could have a dramatic impact on the results. If I see players making that extra effort to win the ball, see players taking responsibility for bad play, hear players communicating on the pitch, I will be optimistic for the season.

March 2nd cannot come soon enough.

6. bluestate

bluestate Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union fall short of the playoffs but at least put up a good fight, finishing somewhere near the 6th spot.
    (SKC, NJPC, DCU, HOU, CHI are still the 5 playoff teams, with CLB as the most likely challenger.)

Okugo is the starting d-mid by mid-season and Carroll consults with Albright about working on his post-career coaching resume.

Le Toux misses open chances game after game, while Jack Mac spends too much time on the bench, but he still plays 90 minutes a game as if its his birthright.

Cruz (and Lahoud, if he can get on the field) are finalists for the "All-Hustle, Well at Least You Tried Your Best" MLS First Team.

Roger freakin' Torres!

The Big Orange Thing cleans up a lot of rookie mistakes and receives some All-Star votes (?)

Marfan takes the NEXT STEP... (???)

All in all, an improved season will ensure that Hack keeps his job. A sense of stability and enough on-field improvement from the Union's core players provides most fans with a glimmer of hope towards the near future, with the obligatory handful of diehards having to be talked down from the Commodore Barry Bridge.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  7. dmmihali

dmmihali Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no idea where the will land...I'd say better than last year but down to the wire for a playoff spot but i like kc to win it all this year

8. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It doesn't really matter (well it does, but not exactly) how full the stadium is as the game will be soldout. Hopefully, stadium will be mostly full. I don't see why people will give up on the season...before the season.

9. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you must be new to Philadelphia. Welcome.

10. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nope, I'm just used to people panicking after a two-game losing streak or making an odd trade.

11. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia is the Chicken Little Capital of the World. I am sure we had a few people bemoaning the Union before they even had the first expansion roster.

12. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see more than 5-7 goals, and around the same for assists. He won't be an "Impact Player (c)"

13. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not expecting a lot of goals from him (unless we get a bunch of PKs and he takes them all) but I think he has a decent chance to get double digit assists. That really depends on chemistry with Casey and I am being optimistic that they play well together. I could see Casey with 12-15 goals. granted both players numbers will be affected by those behind them.

14. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I can see Casey struggling and Jack Mac taking his starting sport early in the season.

UnionDues repped this.
  15. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I expect beers, yelling, fun.

amusiccale, EmeraldDawn and OwlSaver repped this.
  16. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest concern with Casey is that he appeared disinterested during much of the pre season. I am hoping that he steps up once we enter competitive play.

17. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    My biggest concern is that he looks fat as shit

Doop repped this.
  18. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Agreed, Jack Mac looks determined and has something to play for. But he does feel he earned a starting spot last year, how will that affect him?

19. OldRetiredCoach

Feb 22, 2003
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)
    I agree with all of this, EXCEPT:
    Cruz scoring at least one nice goal

This part is true: everyone still saying he shouldn't start

.. and he shouldn't :)

20. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He'll get a PK again.

21. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    he did say a nice one so he can score plenty goals, just ugly ones. haha

22. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish all of our players were as wildly overrated as Torres........especially by Hack!!

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, we'll lose to FC Tucson in the Final.

24. geekgirl

geekgirl Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Sixth level of Hell
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expectations for the season?
    None.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  25. COTU

COTU Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hopeful that they won't be playing that Bush song anymore before kick off.