2013 Crew gear

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by cleazer, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you tried on an Homage shirt? They actually aren't skinny hipster cuts or "athletic" cut. I wear an XL, in normal shirt and same for Homage shirts. Actually, before my year of complete inactivity leading up to my hip replacement (I was already a lil chubby, and added some more during that time), I had a couple Larges in the Homage shirts. I occasionally still wear them like under a causal button up. They're actually pretty stretchy for the more plus size amongst us.

When I am working the tailgates and people are deciding which size to get, I usually recommend trying the smaller of the two sizes as that is normally the size the person needs.

We get up to 2XL (but not many). If you want, you can roll by a tailgate and try one on to see if it'll work.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! Repped!

I just assumed it because most shirts that look like that are cut that way. I'll definitely be looking into buying some Homage shirts this year.

3. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it all depends on the shirt from Homage. I have quite a few tshirts and a hoodie from there and a lot of them fit differently (which I find strange). I have some large shirts that fit fine, some larges that are too tight, some XLs that are tight and some XLs that fit fine. Not sure how this happens since I never put any of them in the dryer. I try on every shirt I buy from them just to be safe

JayFunkeyFresh repped this.
  4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Mike Clark M jersey from the old days that fits me just fine--and a more current XL (Marshall) that's way tight (and a 2XL (Iro, as I recall) that's perfect)--all adidas. This stuff just varies. Some of it is in the stretch in the fabric used. Some is the cut. Some is that they are making game jerseys way tighter now, to cut down on jersey tugging (you see this in game football jerseys as well) or to make it more obvious to refs.

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbh the membership shirt last year from csu was what had me boggled. I can fit into my older member 3x but last year's shirt was an american apparel 3x which seems to be an xl or 2xl at best. Hopefully this losing weight attempt will stick this time after I get my bunion fixed. So tired of rubber band weight loss.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  6. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had the same problem.

7. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes.

That is if by "hipsters" you mean a cohort of consumers engorged in carefully crafted amalgamations of nostalgia and hyper-consumerism, effectively reducing the real and lived experiences of previous generations and our collective shared history into a privatized product, ironic and commodified, with public display and status as primary motivators. This is not how I would describe everyone who patronizes brands like HOMAGE, though it is a fair (and not necessarily negative) description of a significant portion of customers that such brands attract, cultivate, and build themselves upon.

By "HanoiHipsterHilton" I'm not suggesting that these people are comparable to actual prisoners of actual war, because such a suggestion would be gross, as we're talking about t-shirts and not Vietnam. It's a bit of referential sarcasm to make the point which you picked up on about a looooooong and sometimes seemingly inescapable trend, and not meant as a shot at HOMAGE. Although, I've noticed that being critical of, or making jokes at the expense of (or of even being presumed to be making jokes at the expense of), this particular t-shirt shop usually seems to draw fire from the tallest reverential guard towers of local consumer cool.

Guard towers. Crap. Again with the ironic, sarcastic metaphors. I need to learn to live without it.

That is what I find sincerely (not sarcastically, I mean) interesting. This emphatic qualification of modest criticism or a statement of one's particular taste so that a statement of preference, such as...

...suddenly becomes attributable to all sorts of foul, under-developed motivations that inevitably end up presuming an unreasonable prejudice. For instance, last year, around the time of the HOMAGEColumbus 'Til I Dietrademark incident (which is still bizarre/funny/********ed-up/sorta-sad to me...sorry) I was asked what I thought of the new HOMAGEBe Massive shirt. I said (after checking to see that it wasn't the HOMAGEBe Massive t-shirt, yet) that it reminded me a lot of a hand-me-down Pittsburgh Pirates t-shirt I wore to elementary school in the 1980s, but that was pretty much what HOMAGEdoes, so it's fine. Then I said, while I thought it was cool, I didn't really want one. You would have thought that I had just stated that I supported a Marxist overthrow of Ohio and secession from the republic. What I was really saying was that it actually reminded me of a t-shirt that I actually had in actual 1986: a year during which I actually remember actually being alive. I wish I could find an old photo of me in it. I guess this one of this guy in a band taking a selfie wearing an HOMAGE shirt almost exactly like the one I had when I was 9 will have to do.) The immediate "What's your problem with HOMAGE?" question is pretty common. It's as though not being bowled-over by appropriated 30 year old thrift store chic designs at fashion mall prices is an unholy dis to Columbus. Or perhaps having now garnered some small amount of attention from HOMAGE now confirms legitimacy to soccer culture in this city, when it's been a conveniently overlooked afterthought until recently, and don't dare do anything to make them uncomfortable.

And I guess that is part the brilliance of the HOMAGE brand and a credit to the cleverness of using unassailably great things in the 20th century history to sell appropriated t-shirts as meaningful fashion. I like John Glenn. I like Jackie Robinson. I like the civil rights movement. I like the old COSI. I like Sesame Street. I like 1980s video games. I like people who are willing to give up their lives doing what they think is right. If I don't demonstrate deep veneration for every design HOMAGE arrogates, does that mean I'm, in a sense, assailing that unassailably great stuff that actually happened 30, 40, 50 years ago? Maybe. You wouldn't think so, or, at least, I wouldn't. But it's a clever way to sell a lot of t-shirts.

Overdone? Not any more than anything else. Thinking about it, retro style is everywhere, so I guess you could say it's "overdone," but I don't find anything particularly wrong with it. Derivation is not necessarily unoriginal. It depends on the context and currency and execution and other things. It also depends on if one is capable of creating new things every so often and on one's understanding of the difference between homage, derivation, and plagiarism. However, constant and unvaried appropriation and nostalgia—particularly when it is seizedupon or laid claim to as intellectual property of a particularbrand or business—makes me mildly uneasy. Which is why I sometimes make a joke about it. You know, just to cope with the bullshit.

It also depends on personal taste and style. For instance, some things should die. But that's my personal opinion.

No, not HOMAGE's popularity. Objecting to popularity is stupid, frankly. Popularity has a near perfect record, popularity doesn't compromise, and popularity always has reinforcements. HOMAGE's popularity has made some people aware of Columbus soccer who were otherwise clueless and Crewless by exposing them to Columbus 'Til I Die t-shirts. (For instance, at the last 2 Comfests I had a chance to explain to people that the Columbus 'Til I Die shirt they were wearing was a Crew thing and not some random t-shirt.) HOMAGE's popularity is, in no small part, the result of adept branding and good timing, and good for them for doing that. Popular fashion has been locked in nostalgic retro love since the 1990s (anyone else remember Big Fun on campus?). Although, in the '90s, if a 22 year old fashion-conscious new urbanite wanted to assert his individuality by wearing a t-shirt which, for instance, commemorates a 10¢ beer night that took place years before he was born, the thrift shop gods would smile upon him and he'd find one at a Salvation Army for 50¢. Now, they can get one for $30 at Easton with a matching $2 beer koozie for their PBR. And, someday, 10 or 15 years from now, that $30 shirt will be on the rack at Salvation Army, for 50¢. May the circle be unbroken.

Smart.

8. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Uh, I'm not going to read whatever manefesto is right above this post....but wanted to give a shoutout to HOMAGE for making the only retro Loyola University - Chicago 1963 National Championship shirt I've seen sold online or on-campus. Supply meeting demand, I suppose:

http://www.homage.com/store/tees-tops/t-shirts/sports/basketball/loyola-ramblers

One of the coolest Christmas gifts my sis has ever got for me.

9. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Tl;dr - I'm left to assume farts and beer and chicks and stuff, to which I agree

NUFCBayern repped this.
  10. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

11. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know this much thought went into a tshirt company. If I find a shirt I like, anywhere, I buy it. If I don't like it I don't buy it. It's as simple as that.

RoleModel83 and stanger repped this.
  12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Pride

13. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close enough

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I know what happened to the guy whose's head I headed rather than the ball (he was bald, and I thought his head *was* the ball. o_O

16. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta send you money via PayPal to get this beautiful shirt?

19. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm helping Justin with ordering/shipping etc.

20. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. Not too long. I read it in its enterity.

I particularly enjoyed the pithy and compelling linked references and articles as well. I am now better educated.

Thank you!

21. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is 2013. The internet machine sells things. Try it. Save some gas.

22. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have italicized the word "you." I was not objecting to PayPal. I was sarcastically objecting to sending Goshert money.

HardHatMike repped this.
  23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MASSIVE canary/banana-toned goodness with this year's cap selection.

Will be buying the trucker cap (they don't make the flexfit hats big enough to fit my head, I wear the hat sizes that most people buy to tuck their ears under).

24. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to at least appreciate the exposure the shirts Homage produces allow for.
    [​IMG]