2013 Conference Alignment

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by jeffconn, Dec 2, 2012.

1. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Or the SoCon could do what they should have done as soon as Charleston left for the CAA: raid the Big South. They dragged their feet! Losing GSU and App State not only knocks them down to five full soccer members, but only seven football members. They'll have to act now, and should probably add Coastal Carolina and maybe two others.

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree in prestige the Southern Conference is above the Big South.

3. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In any event, it's official. App State will join the Sun Belt July 1, 2014
    http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=206946378

Q) What will conference affiliations be for Appalachian State’s three programs (field hockey, men’s soccer and wrestling) that are not included in the 18 sports sponsored by the Sun Belt Conference?

A) The expectation is that field hockey will continue to compete in the NorPac Field Hockey Conference and that men’s soccer and wrestling will continue to compete in the Southern Conference.

RobtheAggie and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Looks like this is what the soccer teams will look like for the "new" Big East: Cincinnati, South Florida, UCF, Houston (women's only) , SMU, Memphis, East Carolina (women's only), Tulsa, Connecticut and Temple.

I know the dust hasn't settled but looks like a pretty strong soccer conference.

24Seven repped this.
  5. Teletubby

Teletubby Member

Dec 10, 2004
    This would be a new definition of madness..luckily it won't remain.

6. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisville will also play one more year in the "Old" Big East/Aresco League.

7. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Rutgers is there for 2013, too. East Carolina isn't in until 2014, last I heard.

8. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    So what does the Colonial do? Stay at 8 members or try to pluck some teams from the Southern or America East?

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Or maybe more like this...

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  11. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What has the world come to when its being questioned whether the Colonial league will be poaching teams?

12. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see them bringing soccer back. Although, it would be a good in-state rivalry with UK.

If they bring back men's soccer, they'd have to bring in a women's sport...anything needed to please the C-USA powers?

14. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not. The only women's sport they lack, that C-USA sponsors, is rowing. Not a big deal - although SMU, Tulsa and UCF are leaving for the Big East/Aresco League which also sponsors women's rowing. Western Kentucky and Old Dominion will be the only full members with rowing and you need at least four to allow for affiliates.

WKU has men's swimming & diving, something C-USA does not sponsor.

15. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    From University of Tulsa Press Release:
    University of Tulsa President Steadman Upham, Vice President and Director of Athletics Derrick Gragg and Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco announced on Tuesday that Tulsa has accepted a formal invitation to join the soon-to-be-renamed Big East Conference in July 2014.

The conference’s board of directors, by a unanimous vote of its presidents, extended the invitation for membership to Tulsa.

Beginning with the 2014-15 academic year, the conference will consist of the University of Central Florida, University of Cincinnati, University of Connecticut, East Carolina University, University of Houston, University of Memphis, Southern Methodist University, University of South Florida, Temple University, Tulane University and The University of Tulsa. The U.S. Naval Academy will become a football-only member in 2015.

16. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Reports from the Green Bay Press-Gazette state that Illinois-Chicago will join the Missouri Valley Conference, and Oakland will replace them in the Horizon, though these moves may not be in effect until 2014.

17. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    “The fact that we're going to be playing in metropolitan cities such as New York, Chicago and Washington is going to be an added recruiting tool for us,” he said. “We're going to use that, and our facilities speak for themselves.

This is a really good point from Bolowich. For Creighton, the new Big East will see them play over a two year span in 5 MLS markets - New England (Providence), Chicago (DePaul), New York (St. John's), DC (Georgetown) and Philadelphia (Villanova).

We all know MLS teams don't spend a lot of resources scouting outside their region which means they tend to scout the teams that come through their area, which means it will be that much easier for Creighton's players to get scouted by MLS teams, which is one more thing for them to sell on the recruiting trail.

fknbuflobo and Hararea repped this.
  20. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm almost tempted to say that Oakland will be the last school to change conferences this year, but I still think that SOMEONE will take NJIT.

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I start the rumor mill on another school?

I will...it seems that Ohio University will be putting some emphasis into their men's club team in exploring adding men's soccer as an intercollegiate sport in the [near] future. That's an interesting development for the MAC.